“What A Restaurant”

Ranked #97 of 2,259 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our beautiful location is on the North side of the moat that surrounds the quaint "old city" of Chiang Mai. It is a perfect place to sit, enjoy the breeze, sunlight and people watching on the main road.The interior is attractive, colorful and bright with our student's art work and long share tables to encourage customers to sit together and make new friends or private tables and a small sofa in the kids corner where there are plenty of books, toys and art supplies to keep the kids happy while parents enjoy their healthy vegetarian or vegan western or local style breakfast, lunch, smoothies or coffee and dessert.We serve many Burmese and ethnic foods that you can't get anywhere else so it is fun to try something new! We also have a fun and funky little Pre-Loved Charity Shop in the cafe where you can not only donate your old clothing, household items, books and more but purchase goods and support our charity at the same time. We have loads of English language novels, travel guides, hats, shoes, scarves, jewelry, men's and women's clothing and more. We also sell organic spirulina, triphala and natural skin care products from local vendors.Please come and check us out today! You can park cars, motorbikes and bicycles along the side of the building.
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Usually when a restaurant is about something besides food, it doesn't care about the food. This place is different. The Western and Thai stuff couldn't be better. Everything about this place shouts excellence.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have been in Chiang Mai one month and this is my favorite place to hang out. You know how some places have a good vibe, where you can relax, feel at ease, and not feel rushed to leave - ? - Free Bird has it in abundance! When you add the delicious food and drink (love their blueberry smoothie and red curry soup with brown rice), it makes it a place that I look forward to returning to.

I enjoy bringing my laptop and sitting in the outdoor garden, shaded by plants. There is a friendly kitten that will keep you company if you happen to be alone. Pleasant music is usually playing. The staff is friendly, and as stated in most reviews, all profits help Free Bird in their charitable work.

Note - the cafe is currently closed due to a staff emergency - it looks like it will reopen sometime in mid March - check their face book page for more info....

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Tucked away in an alley near a Thai temple, Free Bird Cafe offers a school, a store selling goods and a social network for Burmese refugees. The architecture, Thai hippy dippy, makes it a little different. You can sit outside or inside near the classroom. Students are often part of the staff so it is different. As far as the food goes, I had a Burmese noodle dish, healthy but nothing special; a deliciously huge brownie with ice cream; best of all was some very bitter tea sweetened with mangosteen, something I haven't tried before in tea. You can buy books for Myanmar Cuisine here-including one with all of the ethnic groups- and also borrow books. They also have a small store with various items for sale. It is an interesting and quaint operation that can offer-the choice is up to you-an experience that goes beyond that of just a restaurant.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I went with my two preschool kids for lunch here. The service was friendly and laid back. My kids loved playing with the toys and games that are used for the Burmese kiddos when the restaurant isn't in use. I loved the coconut milk latte I had there- best coffee drink I've had in a long time. I agree with others- portions were tiny. With my little ones they were perfect though. Overall, it was a good experience!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

A fantastic charity... but my intention was to have lunch.

The portions are tiny which is infuriating because some of the options are delicious. I chose the papaya salad with potato and it was phenomenal, sadly it was finished only too soon. Thankfully I had ordered the eggplant sandwich, also delicious but after that I was still unsatisfied. I needed more food and I was fast running out of cash.

We finished with the hummus platter and it was a disaster - the hummus is made with poor quality olive oil so the taste is a little off, the bread is not fresh and the promised veggies consisted of a slice of tomato, slice of cucumber and several lettuce leaves.

My lassi had no yoghurt. Or if it did, it wasn't enough to affect the watered down mango flavour.

The bill was over £10 - for Chiang Mai pretty expensive. I'm really unimpressed but thankfully the proceeds go to charity... but I'll go elsewhere from now on.

1  Thank Friffin