“Simply put, this is my absolute favorite place in all of Thailand”
Review of Free Bird Cafe

Free Bird Cafe
Ranked #99 of 2,504 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our beautiful location is on the North side of the moat that surrounds the quaint "old city" of Chiang Mai. It is a perfect place to sit, enjoy the breeze, sunlight and people watching on the main road.The interior is attractive, colorful and bright with our student's art work and long share tables to encourage customers to sit together and make new friends or private tables and a small sofa in the kids corner where there are plenty of books, toys and art supplies to keep the kids happy while parents enjoy their healthy vegetarian or vegan western or local style breakfast, lunch, smoothies or coffee and dessert.We serve many Burmese and ethnic foods that you can't get anywhere else so it is fun to try something new! We also have a fun and funky little Pre-Loved Charity Shop in the cafe where you can not only donate your old clothing, household items, books and more but purchase goods and support our charity at the same time. We have loads of English language novels, travel guides, hats, shoes, scarves, jewelry, men's and women's clothing and more. We also sell organic spirulina, triphala and natural skin care products from local vendors.Please come and check us out today! You can park cars, motorbikes and bicycles along the side of the building.
Reviewed August 3, 2011

When I first got to Chiang Mai I decided to go straight to Free Bird Cafe for breakfast, as I had heard so many good things about it from fellow travelers. Alas, it was Monday and Free Bird was closed. And really this is the only mild complaint I have about Free Bird. Sure it is totally selfish to want the workers not to get a day off, but after tasting the absolutely amazing pickled green tea leaf salad, you will understand why I would love to see it open 7 all days.

Aside from that first day and the next Monday, I went to Free Brid everyday while I visited Chiang Mai. Sometimes for breakfast, sometimes for lunch, sometimes just for tea, I was instantly smitten with cafe with an amazing consious. The staff are beyond friendly and you can tell they love that you are there. They constantly offered to add hot water to my tea, even when I was more than willing to buy another pot.

The prices are beyond reasonable. And as I said before the Pickled green tea leaf salad was extraordinary. Facts are facts: this is beyond a doubt my favorite salad I have ever eaten. I ordered two the day I left Chiang Mai. And really & truly, as my bus got further and further away from Chaing Mai I wondered why I did not order a third.

As an added bonus there is a used clothing store on site. Sadly for me, most of the clothes are ladies, but I bought a few t shirts for myself and a dress and a few shirts for the lady I love.

That all profits go towards helping Burmese refugees makes what was already an amazing cafe near perfect.

Please note that during the week the cafe closes at 4:30 for good reason, as it morphs into an education center for those same Burmese refugees.

I can't lie, I more than 1/2 wanted to move to Chaing Mai and live next door to Free Bird Cafe, alas the stars were not aligned for this. But I can say any visit to Chaing Mai without a/numerous visit/s to Free Bird = you not doing it right. And if you are lucky you will be able to meet the amazingly adorable neighborhood kitty that will curl up next to you as you read/write/enjoy your tea/meal -- such an added bonus to such an amazing place.

1  Thank alifein5years

Reviewed May 31, 2011

The refresher is truly the most refreshing and delicious drink of my travels through SE Asia. Perfect place to escape the Chiang Mai heat and taste some fresh food and amazing drinks.

2  Thank Bkorn
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Free Bird Cafe directly supports education for Shan Burmese refugees by operating as a school in the evenings. The food ranges from western favorites to delicious Thai and Shan food. (I like to mix the Shan cabbage salad with one of their HUGE sandwiches). It is healthy too, with fresh vegetables and brown rice. They have great smoothies, coffees and wifi, so if you just need a place to work or chill...they always have nice music! They will even refill your water bottle (for a small charge) to discourage the overuse of plastic bottles. A conscious, delicious cafe dedicated to directly benefiting the community.

3  Thank greengirle
Reviewed May 20, 2011

You just have to visit the Freebird cafe when you are in Chiang Mai.
They have a healthy excellent food meny. The atmosphere is brilliant :) and the work Lisa and the others do for children is so great. Their misson is to shed some light on the plight of refugees from Burma and Indigenous People from Thailand by providing community and international education about their situation using the interface of their cafe and website.
You just have to visit this cafe.

2  Thank anina007
Reviewed May 13, 2011

You won't be disappointed with the choice and quality of cuisine here! Yummy meals perfectly designed and prepared at value-for-money. The cool and casual atmosphere is friendly and will have you coming back again very soon! Make sure you try the fresh coffee! This is a great location for walking around in a clean and relaxed area of Chiang Mai that is hassle-free and still offers all the amenities a traveller would need at the best prices.

2  Thank A J