Wat Phra That Doi Suthep & Meo Tribal VillageTour - Ranvel Tour
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“The Meo tribal village”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This review is about The Meo Tribal village, as I wrote about Wat Phra That Doi Suthep in my other review.
An interesting taxi trip on high and steep cliffs to get here. I think I saw 2 vespa accidents on our way up here, so take caution.
This village consists mostly of shops and a very small museum being the original village talked about. So clearly, like so many before me have said; a tourist trap.
But there are some fun parts, where you can dress up in tribal costumes/clothing, both Thai and Chinese styles are available. That's why we came here, which is probably the best reason to go here.
You might want to shoot the crossbow also, while you're here. The merchandise can all be found in the shops of Chiang Mai, but the prices here are somewhat better, if you're looking for tourist things. The flowers around this place are truly beautiful!

This place is a must for those who like to dress up in tribal clothing, or just love flowers, otherwise you're not missing much.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Mats_of_Sweden

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Doi Suthep OK, Village is a tourist trap”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We paid 1200Baths (30€) for two people at Parasol Inn hotel. First we went to the village and it is awful, you have to pass through a big souvenir market. In the middle of the market they say you must pay 10Baths to continue and behind that you can see a garden but never a tribal traditional village.

The Doi Suthep temple is nice because it is at the mountains and it is beautiful, but t again they tell you to pay 30Bahts as a foreigner.

In general you feel scammed in every moment

Visited May 2013
2 Thank casanilo
Brampton, Canada
306 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 567 helpful votes
“Half Day Tour in Chiangmai”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I decided to take a half day tour of Doi Suthep and Meo VIllage Tribe Village arranged through a travel agency located in my hotel lobby.

We first went to the village and after that went to Doi Suthep. Going to the village meant going through zigzag roads up the mountain. We went to see some houses where garments, tools and equipments used by the tribes for farming the land were displayed. There is a small market outside the village where you can buy souvenirs .

We then went to Doi Suthep which was really a very exhausting climb up. The view up however is very nice since you can see Chiangmai and temples and buddha images.

This is a nice way to tour Chiangmai if you only have a few days in the city and are not familiar with going around.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank betty l
Miami, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

A quick visit may be interesting but it's a tourist trap at the end of the day. If you have the chance to bike through other villages, go ahead but not sure it's worth the time spent to go up here.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank solezav
Melbourne, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Meo Tribal Village - Chiang Mai”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

There are a number of different hill tribes living in Northern Thailand – Thins, Lawa, and Karen for example, but the Meo tribe happens to live close to the Doi Suthep temple, so I included a visit while I was up the mountain, albeit in the pouring rain!

The Meo tribe is also called Hmong. Our guide informed us that the Hmong consist of White and Blue groups and come from western China. He claimed that their name came from the word Mongol.

There are two parts to the village – a largish village centre surrounded by the obligatory commercial areas displaying some of their craftsmanship endeavours (especially needlework and sewing and some weaponry) for sale. Beyond that I discovered a large gardened area and waterfall – very beautiful (even though it was raining heavily). I took heaps of photos here. There was even a small poppy plant growing signifying the tribe’s link to their opium past. Our guide told us that the Thai Royal Family was instrumental in providing the Meo an incentive to give up the opium cultivation.

My short visit left me knowing a little more about the tribe (the girls wandering around in traditional costume were a nice surprise), but really it was just another place to spend money on souvenirs.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Brian_from_Boronia

Travelers who viewed Wat Phra That Doi Suthep & Meo Tribal VillageTour - Ranvel Tour also viewed

Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai Province
Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province

Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai Province

Been to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep & Meo Tribal VillageTour - Ranvel Tour? Share your experiences!