“Friendly staff and relaxing place near Ping River”

Club One Seven Chiang Mai
Ranked #118 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Amphoe Koh Sa-mui, Surat Thani, Thailand
“Friendly staff and relaxing place near Ping River”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

It was our first time staying at Club one seven Chaingmai. We were very happy to stay over for 4 nights and had great time there. Staff are very friendly and location of this place is excellent. not far from the city and easy to get around. The sauna was good and the GYM is nice. We would come back again if we visit Chaing mai for sure. The manager also welcomed us very well with warm greeting. Thank you to all staff there.

Room Tip: room on the second floor are nicer with good view of the river.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ratchatapong S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I would agree with all those who have written that the staff are very personable and helpful. The manager is especially good. However, I don't have many good things to say about the B & B itself. It is overpriced for the market and what you get. It is too far from the center of the city to walk but not far enough to have any sort of country feeling. As noted previously, the rooms are extremely small and dark (my suitcase was on the floor and I had to step around it to get around the bed) and there is only one layer of wood between you and the world. I heard trucks on the outside street all night. The breakfast is okay and dinner is passable but they often did not have what was on the menu. If you didn't go out the back door of the "hotel" to the breakfast area and walked through the front, you had to go through the sauna area. Not a pleasant feeling really. The pool is really a large spa and not appealing in the least. Most damaging to me is that part of the owner group was there when I was in early February. They made no effort to speak with their guests - why are they in the hospitality business then? When I asked the manager why they didn't say hello, he stated that they wanted to be anonymous. As they stuck out like a sore thumb, they could hardly be anonymous.
Should you choose to stay here, you can get some local flavor by walking down the street to an outdoor market that occurs two or three items a week late in the day/early evening (check with staff) and at the little massage place across the street (totally legit) you will have one of the best Thai massages in your life.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SanFranciscoKaycey
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We spent several nights here incl. New Year's Eve. The house is a 130 year old renovated teak house with decks, on the river at a beautiful spot. The staff were friendly, efficient, service was impeccable. New Year's was wonderful. The sauna was fun tho' not as busy as others in town. The place is a short tuktuk ride from central Chiang Mai and a bit far to walk but not impossible.
The room was lovely and breakfast was excellent.

We really enjoyed this place and would come again. Met many travellers from all over.

Room Tip: Get a room with River view. Higher up is better. Some lower rooms have a bit of moldy odour from the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank strider4
Kathmandu
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I made a reservation for a week and checked out after two days. Room decor is lovely, but the rooms are a bit cramped and dark. My room had a small terrace overlooking the river which was lovely during the day but too many mosquitoes in the late afternoon and evening. Staff were very, very helpful. The gym is good, but the rest of the club area is a bit messy and it was very quiet (but it was early in the week) . Main reasons I checked out early: the food is terrible. I even bought in my own fresh fruit for them to serve me at breakfast. Two sleepless nights. Old teak houses CREAK. My room was downstairs and whenever anyone moved in any of the upstairs rooms I heard them. Soundproofing between rooms is also poor - the two guys the room next door to me were having a REALLY fun time! Poor location. By the river is nice and it is quiet, but it is also far from everywhere else and taxis and tuk tuks are not ray to get. One time one of staff had to give me a lift on his motorbike.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AusInNepal
Rob H, Owner at Club One Seven Chiang Mai, responded to this review, July 23, 2015
Thank you for your comments. Since you have stayed with us we are under new management and we have spent a lot of time and money upgrading our facilities. If you are ever back in Chiang Mai I would hope you would give us a second chance.
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My partner & I stayed 4 nights & really liked it. We changed rooms after 2 nights into a beautiful private large room overlooking the river with our own terrace on river bank. Large 4 poster bed was comfortable. Staff friendly & helpful & breakfast is freshly cooked & included in the very reasonable room rate. Beautiful garden setting & pool. The sauna area is very clean & while not busy we still made friends.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Smilingjeff
Reviewed January 5, 2012

When my husband and I booked four nights at this hotel, we didn't realize that it was "boys only." It didn't make mention of it on their website that we noticed, and they didn't mention it in their confirmation email. But when I stepped out of the cab, a female, they immediately said to the cab driver, "are you sure you're at the right hotel?" yes of course were sure. "well we are boys only. No women allowed." so after traveling for 27 hours, and waiting for 30 minutes at the airport for a taxi, we got back into the cab, and found accommodation elsewhere. Stressful, until our cab driver took us somewhere he knew. (for which I'm sure he got a cut of something). Anyways, this place is great, maybe, if you're a gay dude.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank cdnslhincali
We sincerely apologize for the confusion in your booking. Yes, we are a men's only accomodation. We have clearly marked that on our website and booking agency websites as well.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Earlier in the year I visited Club One Seven Phuket and liked it very much so decided to visit the Chiang Mai sister property. The staff here very very friendly and helpful and attentive. I had a minor issue with my room and this was promptly dealt with by the staff. I had one of the deluxe rooms which looked out over the Ping River which was very pleasant and there was a verandah between my room and the river which was very pleasant to sit out in. The room was of a very good standard and was well maintained. The property is located quite some distance from the old town- I quite enjoyed the walk into town on many occasions but while tuk-tuks never seemed to be located outside the property I usually just walked down to the next hotel and always got one when I wanted it. I will return here for another visit in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms are on two levels and I picked a deluxe room on the upper level
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo