“Unique pieces, excellent staff”
Review of Baan Celadon

Baan Celadon
Ranked #35 of 132 Shopping in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Before coming to CM for my summer stay, I was not familiar with Celadon. I just knew it was some kind of pottery my family wanted me to bring back. My homestay family recommended Baan Celadon as a good place to go since they ship their products all over the world. Looking through the windows before I went in, it looked like an art gallery and I thought, "wow this is going to be way out of my price range". And though there are a fair amount of pricey items, there are just as many beautiful and affordable pieces, some as low as a couple hundred baht.

Customer service exceeded my expectations, very generous and knowledgeable on history of Celadon (plus they serve savory lemongrass iced tea while you browse). I was really intrigued by some of the pieces and ended up purchasing more than I wanted to carry, so decided to ship. They took such care in carefully packaging each piece, photographing everything that was being shipped, and finding affordable shipping options. A couple days later I receive an email from the woman who was helping me to let me know everything had shipped, along with the attached postal receipt, and requesting that I contact her should anything arrive damaged.

It was an overall great experience with a wonderful staff. And although I am no Celadon expert, I feel that I found numerous unique pieces I know my friends and family will appreciate. Absolutely worth a visit!

2  Thank adeca12
There are newer reviews for Baan Celadon

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I can't comment on the pricing as this was the first Celadon we had seen but the environment was very conducive to browsing- very serene. Lovely staff, no pressure to buy( but of course I did as I rather like pottery- after all a girl can never have too much??!) and refreshing chilled lemongrass tea to cool down. The prices are fixed and some beautiful pieces on offer. The children enjoyed watching the potter in the factory, at the back of the shop, on his wheel and the artists carving and painting the pottery.
Everything was beautifully packaged up in bubble wrap.

2  Thank CandN07
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Baan Celadon produces very beautiful celadon, ceramic pottery on the premises.
On arrival we were taken out the back to see the studio where a number of ladies were hand painting some very intricate designs onto a variety of different pieces.
Their signature piece is the elephant that comes in sizes from small to very, very big.
It's well worth a visit even if you don't intend on buying anything.

1  Thank Andrew_R_Evans
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Baan Celadon is a nice store but I expected more artistry and unique pieces - with the exception of one piece you can see many of these similar pieces in any of the stores in Thailand.

1  Thank BKKEXPATS
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Celadon as part of our day visiting the artisan area East of Chiang Mai.
First we visited the worshops to see the prep and decoration of various items, the detail and intricate painted designs were fabulous, the guide gave us lots of detail.
We then went to the showroom filled with everything from 'moulded' items from a few baht to pinted and gold leaf decorated large items at thousands of baht.
The problem was that we wanted to buy so much, it's really fabulous stuff.
The staff were excellent in showing us around, we were even given a very refreshing glass of iced lemongrass tea
Highly recommended, combine it with the silk, umbrella and silver artisan places on the same road

4  Thank Bricodust