De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
$110
Very Good 4/5
$44
$31
Good 3.5/5
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
$502
$456
Anantara.com
$38
$36
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsold citysunday marketdvd playertuk tukthe ground floorwalking distancepool areawat phrabreakfast buffetrooms are spacioussmall poollanna stylecentral locationsuperior roomthai foodfour nightsyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The De Lanna Hotel in Chiang Mai is a quiet oasis, away from the tourist-filled streets near the Night Bazaar. The salt water pool is wonderful and refreshing (Thai for "not heated"), but it's just right for cooling off after a day in the ever-present Thai heat. Room service is prompt and reasonably-priced, and the restaurant food is very good. The menu has an extensive selection, and the service is first-rate. Total for dinner for two was 455 baht, not including alcohol or dessert.

The hotel itself is quiet and relaxing, with guests from many countries (Spain, Japan, US, and Thailand all represented during our 2-day stay who share their stories around the pool. There are mists of water during the day, blown over the chairs around the pool to offer some relief from the heat. A/C works well, but beds are harder than Westerners are used to.

No fitness room, but the pool is big enough to have a good workout.

Interesting tidbit: there are many colorful koi in the small pools adjacent to the walkways to the rooms. If you ask at the front desk, they will give you some fish food to feed these beautiful fish.

Good value--rooms about 2100 THB ($70) on internet (don't book directly--price is higher, use Agoda, Trip Advisor, AsiaRooms, etc.), which includes breakfast. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the hotel are the quietest.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Goldenbear70
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear valued guests,

Thank you for your valuable comments about the hotel. There might be a misunderstanding about our prices in many Internet agents compare with our own direct booking prices. We certainly do a price parity among all agents and our own direct booking. You will get the same prices with those agents and with our own direct booking port. For some Internet agents, there might use some gimmick that make you see it looks cheaper., for example, the prices that they show in the first page might not show the total price, but will add other costs (e.g. Taxes, commission) in the final page. Hope this info will make you clear about our prices policy. Looking forward to serving you again soon.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Loved this funky, modern, thai hotel. The rooms are gorgeous, including the balcony. The tour guide Mimi was lovely and so helpful and attentive with what we wanted to do. Location was good also, not in the heart of it, around a 10 minute walk to the main shops and restaurants which we liked because it was chilled out. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leccy_26_
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really, really enjoyed my night at the De Lanna Hotel.

The superior room I had booked was very spacious with a king sized bed and all the amenities you would expect from a four star boutique hotel. I had some trouble finding out how to turn off the ambient lighting though (would be good if staff told guests how to do that during check-in). The bathroom only had a shower but the design of the bathroom more than made up for that.

The hotel pool is set in a nice garden with sun loungers set around the edge of the pool. There are tables in the garden as well so that you can have breakfast outside if you so choose. The breakfast was buffet style and not extraordinary, but perfectly adequate, i.e. there was the usual choice of hot and cold food.

I found the location okay for sightseeing as the hotel is just around the corner from Wat Prah Singh and within walking distance to the Three Kings Monument. Also there are some restaurants and coffee shops very close by.

I wish I had had more time in Chiang Mai and got to spend a few more days at De Lanna. The one night I stayed there was very relaxing after sleeping on the plane and train for two nights in a row.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Australienkenner
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Me and my mother were visiting Thailand for the first time so we wanted to make sure our accomodation was safe and pleasant. We were so pleased that we chose de lanna to stay 11 nights in.
The rooms were comfortable, clean and tidy. The safe were extremely friendly and always helped us out whenever we needed it. The food at the restuarant wasnt overly expensive (like other hotel restaurants are), so is good if your wanting to stay in the hotel to eat. The pool area was beautiful with wild orchids growing on the trees.
The location of de lanna is fantastic for visiting Chiang Mai!! Near enough to all the action (a 5 min red cab journey away to the river/main shops), but quiet enough to be safe and not in the hussle and bussle. The local shops are incredible, seriving the most beautiful street food!
De lanna is a 2 minute walk from the Sunday night market, which is absolutely NOT to be missed! There is literally everything to buy! Incredible crowds turn out too!

If you want to really experience Chiang Mai I would reccommend here!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms and bigger with more balcony space!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Frances S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I only stayed at De Lanna one night. It was supposed to be my one boutique night while in Chiang Mai -- I ended up getting a shabby deal.

First, when I walked into my room it smelled of raw sewage. I had to keep the airconditioning running to mask the smell. I thought, I'll let it go -- it's Thailand.

Then, the tub had fingernail clippings and hair in it -- it was never cleaned! I thought, ok, no problem, I'll just turn the shower on and let this go too. I want my boutique experience, I don't want to pester someone to come clean something I can do myself.

But then after an evening out, I got back to my room at midnight to find that there was handfuls, literal handfulls, of long black hair all over the pillows and sheets of the bed. Someone had come into my room while I was out and laid on my bed, or the bed hadn't been cleaned in the first place. How am I positive that this was not my hair? I'm a redhead.

I had to have someone come and re-make my bed at 12:30. It took a half an hour for them to get clean sheets and pillows and I think it was the night guard making the bed, since it was made really poorly.

Then I

The continental breakfast was really gross too. Watery eggs, and when I got there at 8:00am almost nothing was left to eat.

I will most certainly not be going back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adictine
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear valued guest,

I had this problem report to me recently. I am sorry to hear this happened while you were staying with us. We just got a new maid who made your room and we already discussed and made a crucial changes. I knew that this cannot make up any good feeling for you about De Lanna. Please accept our apologies.

Best regards,