“Overpriced, Smelly, Dirty.”

De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #59 of 379 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Overpriced, Smelly, Dirty.”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I only stayed at De Lanna one night. It was supposed to be my one boutique night while in Chiang Mai -- I ended up getting a shabby deal.

First, when I walked into my room it smelled of raw sewage. I had to keep the airconditioning running to mask the smell. I thought, I'll let it go -- it's Thailand.

Then, the tub had fingernail clippings and hair in it -- it was never cleaned! I thought, ok, no problem, I'll just turn the shower on and let this go too. I want my boutique experience, I don't want to pester someone to come clean something I can do myself.

But then after an evening out, I got back to my room at midnight to find that there was handfuls, literal handfulls, of long black hair all over the pillows and sheets of the bed. Someone had come into my room while I was out and laid on my bed, or the bed hadn't been cleaned in the first place. How am I positive that this was not my hair? I'm a redhead.

I had to have someone come and re-make my bed at 12:30. It took a half an hour for them to get clean sheets and pillows and I think it was the night guard making the bed, since it was made really poorly.

Then I

The continental breakfast was really gross too. Watery eggs, and when I got there at 8:00am almost nothing was left to eat.

I will most certainly not be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Adictine
Paokung, Owner at De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I had this problem report to me recently. I am sorry to hear this happened while you were staying with us. We just got a new maid who made your room and we already discussed and made a crucial changes. I knew that this cannot make up any good feeling for you about De Lanna. Please accept our apologies.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and really enjoyed it.

FRONT DESK: there was a slight language barrier with a few of the front desk staff so it made some things difficult. Check-in/out was easy. Internet was really good in the lobby and by the pool, but the signal was a little weak in our room (our room was at the far corner of of the hotel so this could be why). The girl at the tour desk was really helpful and helped us plan a last minute day trip. Don't book a taxi from the hotel...they charged us twice as much to get to the airport as what it cost when we found a metered taxi.

ROOM: I had mixed feelings on the room when we first arrived, but overall it was really good. It is modern mixed with Thai influence. The beds were a little hard, but not as bad as most in Asia. The room and bathroom were large and clean. There is a stand-up shower only, and it didn't drain very well so if 2 people take a shower in a row water ends up all over the floor. AC worked really well. There was complimentary bottled water and toiletries.

POOL: was really nice and there were lots of chairs surrounding it. The back wall of the pool could have used a good scrub

RESTAURANT: breakfast was ok...there were lots of Thai and Western options. There was aslo a Nespresso coffee/espresso machine.

LOCATION: was perfect! It was within walking distance to lots of temples and the main gates. Night market was also nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights at the end of 3 weeks in Thailand in September 2012. The location was great, literally on the doorstep of some of the temples and in walking distance to just about everywhere.

Breakfast was great and there was something for everybody.

We would definitely return here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Chris1985UK
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

De Lanna was a great little boutique hotel that offered:
- Clean comfortable rooms
- Fast Wi-Fi
- Beautiful Courtyard
- Fantasitic Pool
- Great Customer Service
- Ok, but nothing to write about food.
- A Nescafe Coffee/Espresso Machine(key for Coffee Folks)
- Great Centre point to all the wonderful and amazing things that Chiang Mai offers
- Mimi (Fantastic concierge who was great for booking and getting info on commercialized and non-commercialized tours)
- Sunday Night Market which is a must is only steps away
- Good Value for everything you get.
- Appropriate for all travel types, except maybe 20 something party animals.

Room Tip: Numerous spa's within a short walking distance, so not having one on-site is no problem.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Austin
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I selected this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews, location and price. Having stayed here, I would probably select a different hotel next time. The rooms are large and clean. The hotel is stylish (Thai meets South Beach), but the hotel needs refreshing. A fresh paint job and staining the deck would make a huge difference. In addition, although the staff speak English and was available to answer questions, they were not friendly and seemed annoyed by the interruption. Similarly, the breakfast includes a number of choices, but the quality was bad.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are all similar, but the bathrooms in the rooms with a tub are nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Our experience with De Lanna has been all good. Check in was fast and efficient. All our luggages got delivered to the rooms. The superior king room (305) is quite spacious. My sisters stayed in a superior double (304) which is the same size. We are told the deluxe room is just a bit bigger with a full tub instead of just shower stall like our rooms. Standard amenities for hotel of this class include 2 pairs of robes and soft slippers, 2 free bottles of water, ample selections of tea and instant coffees, and toiletries. The breakfast buffet has good and tasty selections including traditional Thai breakfast such as rice soup, fried rice and stir fried noodles. Different coffee drinks can be made on your own using the all-in-one coffee machine. It doesn't make the very best coffee but it's good enough for plain coffee, cappuccino, latte, and mocha. The property is quite beautiful and well maintained. The pool is also very nice. We had breakfast by the pool for all 3 mornings we stayed. The staff was efficient and quick to fix the door issue for my sisters' room on one of the days: weak battery prevented the electronic door from opening by the key card. Location is on the more quiet side of the city which is good for rest and relaxation. Only if your priority is to enjoy the night life, then you may want to consider staying close to Nimman' road and not here. If your stay includes Sunday evening, then the location is perfect for Sunday's walking street: a very large street fair that begins early in the evening from 6 pm until 10 pm. We also walked to a Thai massage place one street over which is very popular and highly recommended as part of vacationing in Thailand. My friend who stay at another hotel also switched to De Lanna once she saw the place. All in all, we really enjoy our stay and can't recommend this place enough.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CliveNYC
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good and comfortable hotel in the old city part of Chiang Mai. The workers were helpful and would ask for help from their colleagues when they did not understand our questions. I contacted the receptionist many times, and they would always answer politely and with a smile. The location is close to most things that you would visit in Chiang Mai (within 100Bhat). Temples, small stores/restaurants were all within walking distance. It is also one block away from the Sunday market which was great as it was close enough to walk to but also far enough from all the sounds.

Our breakfast was included, and although some reviewers have mentioned that it wasn't very good, I personally thought it was great. It was a breakfast buffet style with fruits, cereal, over-easy /sunny side-up eggs, bacon/sausages/ham, fried rice, noodles, croissants and toasts. When we needed to relax and take a break, there was a small pool with a couple of lounge chairs which was great.

In terms of the cleanliness, I know that it was trying to go for the modern style where they use this unfinished looking stone however I felt that it made the shower and bathroom look slightly grimey? The design of the shower looked "cool" but in practicality the water tends to overflow and drench parts of the bathroom. I thought the price was a little high which costed roughly 3000TB/night (possible that it was high season) and then had an additional cost of 800TB for an extra cot. As I have not stayed at any other hotels, I cannot comment if there are better deals. Like many hotels, I got the feeling that if you booked any trips they tended to charge slightly more (perhaps they receive a commission?) oppose to you booking externally.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and do not think you would be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had the third floor which gave us very high ceilings and I believe it reduces the amount of noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends