“Good hotel overall”

De Lanna Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #59 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Good hotel overall”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good and comfortable hotel in the old city part of Chiang Mai. The workers were helpful and would ask for help from their colleagues when they did not understand our questions. I contacted the receptionist many times, and they would always answer politely and with a smile. The location is close to most things that you would visit in Chiang Mai (within 100Bhat). Temples, small stores/restaurants were all within walking distance. It is also one block away from the Sunday market which was great as it was close enough to walk to but also far enough from all the sounds.

Our breakfast was included, and although some reviewers have mentioned that it wasn't very good, I personally thought it was great. It was a breakfast buffet style with fruits, cereal, over-easy /sunny side-up eggs, bacon/sausages/ham, fried rice, noodles, croissants and toasts. When we needed to relax and take a break, there was a small pool with a couple of lounge chairs which was great.

In terms of the cleanliness, I know that it was trying to go for the modern style where they use this unfinished looking stone however I felt that it made the shower and bathroom look slightly grimey? The design of the shower looked "cool" but in practicality the water tends to overflow and drench parts of the bathroom. I thought the price was a little high which costed roughly 3000TB/night (possible that it was high season) and then had an additional cost of 800TB for an extra cot. As I have not stayed at any other hotels, I cannot comment if there are better deals. Like many hotels, I got the feeling that if you booked any trips they tended to charge slightly more (perhaps they receive a commission?) oppose to you booking externally.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and do not think you would be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had the third floor which gave us very high ceilings and I believe it reduces the amount of noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2012

very comfortable and nice boutique hotel in central of Chiang mai. the price is affordable, and the management team speaks quite excellent English. :))

The receptionists are very helpful to suggest where to go for eat ( even though chiang mai is a very small place compares to bangkok), good massages ( we have spa every night, mom loves it a lot), and all the temples.

Room Tip: request high floor ( i believe 4th is the highest) facing the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I won't repeat too much from others, except to echo that this is a great place to stay. We stayed for three days in mid-Nov. and had a room on the ground floor which we really liked for proximity to courtyard and pool area. Service was top notch. I accidentally left my camera in the lobby when I left for a tour and the manager called the tour operator and they got it back to me before we left Chiang Mai. Pretty impressive.

The rooms were very nice, although the bathrooom had a lot of exposed concrete. But good enough. Breakfast was very good. Can't understand why others are negative on it. It's not some incredible breakfast buffet that you might see at a high end place, but it's still good for what you get.

Also, great location in Old City. Can walk to most major sights. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ground rooms have a koi pond and easy access to pool, etc.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BikeArlington
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I recently stayed here for a couple nights before and after my week at the Elephant Nature Park. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. The setting is like an oasis with a beautiful courtyard by the pool for outside dining. I thought the breakfast was excellent with lots of variety and when I was there they did have croissants not just "packaged bread "as some one else posted.. I had dinner one night and it was also excellent. The location is so handy to the temples and night market. The rooms were very nicely decorated and they all view the courtyard. I would highly recommened this hotel!! Thanks for making my stay so pleasurable.
Sallie L

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sallie L
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights and was very impressed. Rooms are really nice, property is immaculate and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is a little underwhelming and the food at the restaurant is just average but as a hotel this place excels and is great value. The Sunday walking market is just steps from the hotel and was a real treat to check out. The wifi is free and quite quick and the pool is gorgeous. I highly recommend this hotel. Also Mimi ( the concierge ) is incredibly helpful at recommending and booking excursions.

Room Tip: Recommend a room on 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bethesda
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights based largely on Trip Advisor reviews. I agree with other reviewers on the location, pool, rooms, balconies, etc. The staff was quite helpful. The one disappointment was the breakfast. It just was not very good. It would have helped if they had bakery bread, rolls or croissants instead of packaged bread and croissant similar to Wonder Bread. There was a buffet server marked eggs and omelets but I only saw omelets in it on one of the 3 days. The breakfast did vary day by day and there was one day that was much better than the others. We did have lunch there one day and the chef's salad was very very good with fresh lettuces and other high quality ingredients at a reasonable price. So I don't understand why they couldn't up the quality of the breakfast. We also booked a driver through the hotel tour desk. The driver was terrific and we loved our tour but the price was exorbitant and we felt gouged. No spa, no fitness center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool on 2d or 3d floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulasween
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here a couple of times when we were in the Chiang Mai area. It's a really good hotel. Room are modern and nicely decorated. The bathrooms are quite small, but nicely done out. The hotel is laid out around a smallish pool and looks exactly like their website. The location is good - easy to walk anywhere you'd want to in Chiang Mai and it's peaceful. Breakfast was pretty ordinary, but fine. Staff are very nice and helpful.

Loads to do in Chiang Mai - we really enjoyed the area. Try one of the million cookery courses available, Flight of the Gibbon (zipwire place and EXCELLENT fun) or downhill mountain biking (I can't remember the name of the place we booked that through, but it was near De Lanna and I think run by a German guy - excellent fun safety equipment provided and quite good Giant bikes)

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are much more private
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple