“Expensive for what it is”

Deck 1, Rarinjinda Wellness Spa Resort
Ranked #131 of 2,231 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Being the only air conditioned restaurant on the riverside, it was a place we wanted to visit, just to escape the hot weather.

We came for lunch, had a soda water, coke and two mains off the special menu. This came to a whopping 550Baht, the restaurant adds on 17% after the advertised prices for service and tax.

The food was average and took around half an hour to arrive. The air conditioning was really average and didn't keep us much cooler than the fans at other places.

Do yourself a favour and head to Arbusto Italian House close to 137 Pillars.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

After a long train ride from Bangkok, wmy daughter and I decided to have a nice lunch by the river in Chiang Mai before going to our hotel. Deck 1 was very nicely decorated and was right on the river. Looking over the menu, the prices were expensive but we decided to try it anyway. We ordered 2 Cokes and 2 orders of tom yum goong and asked for "mai pet" which means not too spicy. Now, I know that tom yum goong means "spicy shrimp soup" but I also know that you can make it "mai pet" by using a smaller amount of chili paste. When we got our orders, it was so hot even I couldn't eat it and I love hot and spicy food. I speak quite a bit of Thai (I lived there for 2 years before my daughter was born) so I explained the problem but the staff was indifferent. With our eyes watering, I paid the 1,000 baht ($33 usd!!) bill.

1  Thank Janine S
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My 17 year old daughter saw Deck 1 pictured in a travel magazine. What a disappointment. Staff doesn't understand service. The ultra modern glass box was very noisy since it hugs the edge of a busy street. We went for Thai basics figuring It would be a sure thing. Big miss. Chicken satay some of the worst. Pad Thai poor. Soup was pretty good until my daughter bit a spice that burned her lips. She ordered a piña collada without alcohol from the "mock tail" menue. She was disappointed it was shaken pineapple juice on the rocks. I had a Mai tai. Seemed like it was from the mock ail menue too. We ordered something else. I have already repressed. 1,490 baht. Good news was the river view was nice and the restrooms were beautiful.

2  Thank John G
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We chose Deck 1 for a birthday celebration for its riverside location - very pretty at night, and having checked out TA food reviews. Also because it has large picture windows so one can have dinner inside without mosquitoes-we thought. But as the aircon was turned off, and the doors to the river terrace left open all night, and the interior well lit, mosquitoes were a plague that ruined the meal-especially as I had dengue fever caught by the same river earlier this year. The staff provide diners with a large spray can, so this is evidently a common problem. Why they dont use the aircon, and keep the doors closed is beyond understanding but may explain why the other 30-40 tables were empty. Food was good and well presented if expensive for Chiang mai-watch out for the 17% added to menu prices!!

2  Thank sunloversteve
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was a very nice find. It overlooks the River Ping and you can sit inside (air conditioning) or on the outside deck. This restaurant is across the street from Ramajarin Hotel and offers both Thai and Western food. In fact the Western menu is quite extensive. It's a little pricier than most, but you're quibbling over $1-2 dollar differences. Also, the drink menu was extensive as well which was nice at the end of the day.