Sakorn Residence & Hotel
Arcade Inn(Chiang Mai)
  • Pool
Tawan Court(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
All reviewstuk tukping riverminute walkold citynight marketquiet areariverside barsmall gymrooms are largeswimming poolnice poolrestaurants and barswalk in showerstayed here for nightshotel is locatedclean hotelfive nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel is located a bit outside of old town. Takes about 15-20 minutes to walk to the Tha Pae Gate of old town (or about 3 minutes and 100 baht via tuk tuk). I really liked the location because I felt like a local and it's also very quiet. There's this great little open-air neighborhood restaurant right in front of the hotel serving up great local dishes for around 50 baht. The free breakfast is pretty good and worth waking up for. There are 5 different plates you can choose (from eggs/toast to rice soup) and all are pretty tasty and filling. Wifi is fast and reliable. I never used the outdoor pool, but it looked very clean for those of you who would be interested.

I had only one minor gripe with my room and that was regarding the smell. As another reviewer also mentioned, it had an old moist smell, especially in the closet and bathroom. It went away after a couple days of keeping the AC on, but it was a little bothersome at first.

Overall, I liked this place and I would stay here again. For the price, it was great and it had a homey feel to it and friendly staff.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Sakorn Residence is set in a quiet lane just a few minutes walk from Charoen Rat road and all the eateries there, Deck 1, Good View, Riverside Pub, etc. There is a nice coffee shop next door and a local food place opposite. The nearest 7-11 is a 5-10 minute walk south along the riverside and just after it is the large Rimping Supermarket for all your needs.
The building is an attractive and new block on 5 floors with small gym and a pool on the ground floor and there’s plenty of parking. The rooms at the back face a rather nice ‘green wall’ of planting and the rooms at the front have a nice view north over the Wat Ket area.
I had a front facing apartment consisting of two rooms, living room/kitchenette, a bedroom and a through bathroom with two toilets. The bathroom could be separated into two sections, with bath, toilet, sink in one part and toilet, shower, sink in the other, ideal for families. The apartment also had two balconies.
The bed was quite firm but comfortable and the Wi-Fi worked well enough. The kitchenette had a fridge, water heater, microwave, electric cooker pot and a one ring electric plate. There was one frying pan and a couple of plates and cups. There could have been a few more utensils and crockery. If you were a family you’d need to buy a few more bits to be able to eat or cook there. It also would have been nice to have an iron and ironing board provided.
The apartment was very clean and the daily cleaning was good. I thought the décor was a bit spartan and I felt myself rattling around with all that space, great for longer stays though when you want to spread out. Only one tv in the bedroom although there was also a dvd player.
Breakfast was available until 10am in the restaurant by the pool and was cooked to order from a choice of continental, American, Asian etc. but it was a shame that only instant coffee was available.
I quite liked Sakorn Residence and it did grow on me, but I’m not the biggest fan of the area and it usually involved a walk to get a songthaew or tuk tuk. If I was here for a month I might consider it again, but for a short visit I’m not sure I would.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank paulosussex
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were clean, but there was this old moist smell. I also have to say that the safe was not convincing since you could lift it out and probably take it with you.

Staff was not as nice as in the other places we've been in Thailand, for example we came back to the hotel one evening and the receptionist didn't even bother to look up from the screen or say hello.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Kimmy V
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I spend most of my winters up in Pai but come down to the city once in a while or on my way out and most always stay at Sakorn Residence . It is a small hotel with a guest house feel and has been kept spotless since it opened 4 years ago mainly because of its top notch friendly staff . Just off the beaten track but close enough to walk to the Ping River and the restaurants or even walk 15 minutes to the Night Bazaar . So I called from Pai to book a room on the last night of Loi Krathong and got a room reserved . Then I got a call days later to have them tell me they made a mistake and were full . So what did they do ? BOOK ME A ROOM FOR FREE ! at another guest house in town for making the mistake . Where else in the World would they do that ? I can't thank them enough and will always stay here when they aren't booked up which they tend to be in season . Breakfast is good with 4 or 5 choices each day . Lovely coffee shop adjoined which is open all day and afternoon and a nice pool and small gym room . Adequate bedding , aircon and refrigerator in each room as well . Stay here you won't be sorry !!

1  Thank Jay W
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Upon arrival at night we were very concerned as the hotel is located on a dark road, but felt reassured when we discovered its neighbouring hotel (137 pillars). Street lights would be nice but thats not the hotels fault. The pros of this place are simple; Good value, large rooms, and very friendly staff. However i did have a few issues; we asked for an iron (three times) and only upon the fourth time of asking within (4hrs) i was told that housekeeping couldn't locate the iron (presume they only have one for the whole hotel), breakfast is poor with a limited choice (the thai breakfast was easily the best). The hotel is located close to some local bars which seem very popular with the local thai people - not that touristy. The location is about 30mins from the old city but a mere 15mins from the poplar night market. However we were on a tight budget so i can't complain much about the hotel as it was dirt cheap. The room was very large but sparse