“Clean, can help with tours, good location”
Review of SK House 2

SK House 2
Ranked #83 of 807 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013

SK House 2 is a simple place to stay with a friendly staff and it is very clean. The location is also very good, as it is very easy to walk around the old city from here - this guesthouse is also right next to the oldest temple in Chiang Mai. They do not put any pressure on you to book tours, but they do have lots of information at the front for you to look through and decide what is best for you. The guesthouse does have a pool, although we were so busy that we never used it. We did go up to the rooftop terrace at night, however, which was very peaceful - especially with all of the khom loi in the air.

Room Tip: Internet worked in a second floor room, but not in a third floor room. If internet is important to y...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carolynf869

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I can't rate sk2 highly enough. I stayed for a month and it was one of the best months I've ever had. All the staff are wonderful and accommodating bending over backwards to help (thank you Nick, Lucky, Jebfy and Bank). The tours are fantastic, food is great, rooms are clean and a decent size and it had a pool and sun terrace where you can relax if you want a bit of time away from the bustle of chiang mai.

It's situated in the north east part of the old city which is full of bars, shops and restaurants - a great place to be as well as a 2 minute walk to the Sunday market.

Leaving here was so hard, everyone here became family and as soon as I'm able to, I'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sam I
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here in December 2012 for 2 weeks. When I booked I only booked for 1 week as thought I would look around and try somewhere else for the 2nd week, but without naming the B&B's I went to see, I couldn't find one that appealed to me better, and most had grumpy staff, especially one with a very similar name!!
I arrived at SK2 by tuk tuk from the airport, and was met by a lovely lady on reception, who throughout my stay there was very very helpful. I booked for myself several tours from a guy on the tour s
Desk called June, he was great, advised on a personal tour from the hotel on one occasion to see 'long neck tribe' and it was amazing. Well done June!!
Unfortunately I didn't get the names of the other staff I wished to mention, but one in particular guy who served at breakfast was very very helpful, he's the one with tattoos all over his body incl head! But please don't worry he's a lovely very helpful guy, couldn't fault him.
The only small negative was that the bathroom I had smelt a bit fusty, but for a B&B at this price with a swimming pool, although didn't use, I don't think I could have found better.

Well done SK2 you made my stay in Chiang Mai all the more memorable, especially the lovely personal service you gave me and all the other people I saw and heard you assist during my long stay. The location is great in the old town, a very safe walk back to the B&B at any hour and a front counter and bar always open should you need that nite cap.

If you are like me, you won't be disappointed.

Howard

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Howie22
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel is very clean and well presented with a perfect location inside the old city on a quiet street with hardly any traffic making it very peaceful. The staff are very attentive and extremely friendly and always welcomed you with big smiles, they knew our names from day 1. We booked our tours through Nick who was very helpful and spoke perfect English.

We would also highly recommend booking the jungle trek through the hotel, they operate their own trek with their own guide. Our guide ' Dear' was absolutely brilliant he guided us through the jungle expertly and had us trying all sorts of leaves, berries and remedies he found in the jungle. At the end of the days we would sit around the fire and he would cook up a feast of Thai food. If you can, do the 3 day tour as this gives the full jungle experience. Our trek was so good due to a really good group of people and a brilliant guide, we didn't see any other tourists on the whole trek.

Due to the hotels location towards the north gate, the local amenities were considerably cheaper that staying in the busy ' tourist' area near the Night Bazaar (though this is only a ten min walk). Massages can be found for 140 baht (over 200 elsewhere) and manicures for just 150 baht.

The hotel offered everything we required and helped us with whatever we needed. We fell in love with Chaing Mai and that was partly due to our stay at SK House 2 and we are already planning our return!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank benandangie
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have stayed in this place many times and will keep coming back. Once you get to know the staff, they become like a family away from home. They will do anything to help you, and make the guest house feel like a home away from home.

The food is fantastic, the bar is great and the rooms are spacious, clean.The swimming pool is more than spacious enough for a swim, and the sun roof is very relaxing and peaceful (ALL THIS for 400Baht!!)

I would never even consider staying elsewhere any time I am in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JamesKahan1983
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked through Agoda and had 2 rooms for about 900 baht each per night for 7 nights.The rooms were very basic and were only serviced every other day. This meant that you only got drinking water every other day as well. The bathroom was fairly large, however the shower curtain was too short and the drains run slow so the room got soaked when the shower was used. No matter what, the towels all smelled musty, even when we supposedly got new, clean ones. The good points of the hotel included the fact that it was quiet, it had a pool, the good selection of tv channels, and the central location. The bad points included nowhere to sit around the pool, not much streetscape, wifi only in the restaurant, staff asking for tips all the time, and pretty mediocre food at the restaurant. If you're only looking for a place to sleep for a few nights, this place is fine. But it was no 'home away from home' for us. For the price there are other guest houses (without pool) that probably give better value and a more pleasant experience. In terms of guest houses in Asia, this is in the middle of the pack.

Room Tip: No elevator, so the higher you go, the further you haul your belongings.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelFamily2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

With my girlfriend we found SK house on internet with lots of good reviews. We came there from Bangkok where we get scamed a bit,nervous from Kosan road presure...in SK house 2 our holidays finally began. They picked us up from train station and from our first step in hotel we felt relieved, we got very nice, comfortable, clean and big room with big bed,nice furniture. With nice stuff, especially Jun&Nick we organised our stay in Chang Mai very quickly, it was really good,trekking was great, but one day cooking class with "The best Thai cooking school" was something special and authentic, really recomend! Stuff helped us if needed with lots of advices not just to sell their trips, but also for your own discovering beautiful and original Thai city. Thank you SK house 2,you were our best stay in Thailand.

• Stayed: December 2012