“Training”

Ranked #168 of 241 things to do in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Before leaving Thailand, make sure to take in a muay Thai (Thai kick boxing) match. Kawila Boxing Stadium is a great place to see such a show and the venue is open to people of all ages.
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

We popped in during the day when both men and some women were being put through their paces - it certainly looked hard going and taken very seriously - a lot of shouting and encouraging going on. I have seen a real Thai boxing tournament but not at this stadium. A good muay thai gym.

Date of experience: February 2018
5  Thank davidwilliambarnes

Reviewed February 10, 2018

I bought my adult son to Chiang Mai and really wanted to take him to a Muay Thai event. Unfortunately, the more “legitimate” stadium did not have an event that night and we had to leave the next morning, so we kicked down for the VIP and took it in. This was my first time at the new location and, sadly, it’s actually an upgrade…which is not saying much.

The format had not changed much since my last visit in 2010. Usually you have a fight between youngsters, a fight between girls, a fight with a dwarf…gimmicky silly stuff. But you do also get 2 or 3 legitimate fights, usually the main event is a Thai against a farang. The gimmick fights are of course set up but still provide mild entertainment while you sip on a cold Singha or a whiskey. But I must say..the man event was an excellent fight. I believe it was Dutch guy against a local and it was INTENSE. It did end with a lot of cuts and blood. The Dutch fellow hit a few spinning elbows and the Thai fellow got some nice knee strikes in. We felt the Dutch fellow wont fight but the judges called it for the local. Fair enough.

Anyway, if you are a Muay Thai aficionado, you’ll want to pass and go to a different venue. If you’re just in for some fun, this was good value.

Date of experience: March 2017
1  Thank Kosmosis707
Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

We saw a Mui Thai poster at Loco Elvis and decided to give it a go. Booked advanced VIP seats for the following night event at a local ticket vender and hoped we hadn’t got scammed, but sure enough... all was good. We took an inexpensive tuktuk ride to the stadium and had first row seats...we had arrived early to get good seats and by 9 the place was somewhat filling up, at least ringside. The first fight started a bit late, but nothing disconcerting, and was between two young teens, 12 or 13. They fought well and put on a good show and made a good start for the program. The next few fights got more intense although in one, the contestants just danced through the third round, both thinking they could coast to a win... I was surprised more people didn’t boo. The rest of the fights that night were good, though.... and, for my first exposure to Mui Thai, I was quite impressed. This was semi-pro so I didn’t expect too much and was pleasantly surprised. I guess it is a “hit or miss” kind of event (no pun intended) but it is well worth the few Batt it costs to get in... the stadium was kinda run down, the and the beer wasn’t served at the seat, but we went to watch fighting... and we did...

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Sunnytoes54
Reviewed July 10, 2017 via mobile

We are training Muay Thai boxing and our friends from the gym were fighting. Awesome experience! Not the biggest stadium but good seats wherever you were sitting.

Date of experience: June 2017