“DO NOT STAY AT LE BATEAU IVRE!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel The California

Hotel The California
Ranked #203 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“DO NOT STAY AT LE BATEAU IVRE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

DO NOT STAY AT LE BATEAU IVRE!!!

Worst experience ever at Le Bateu Ivre. Paid more for wi-fi (was not true). Then the owner blamed me for internet not working & yelled at me without letting me speak. When I got angry back, he threatened to call immigration and make problem for me. I asked for discount because wi-fi did not work and I needed wi-fi for work... he refused and kept yelling at me and saying it was my problem not his. I went to 5 other guesthouses -checked my internet at them all and had no problem... if the problem was with my computer, then why did I only have a problem at his guesthouse and not anywhere else.

I've been traveling for 5mo and have never had a problem like this... it literally ended with a screaming match with the owner. I am one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet; this was just ridiculous. To top it all off, he had taken my passport from me the night before (never had a guesthouse do that) and he refused to even let me see it before I paid the full amount, I refused to give him any money until I had a receipt and saw my passport and he aggressively ripped my money from my hand.

Dmitri-the owner of Le Bateau Ivre is a jerk... and treats his customers as though they are jerks... perhaps why I did not see any sign of any other guests. I do not want anyone else to experience this, so just avoid the place (and Dmitri) like the plague.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank kimberry37
DelshadDavid, Owner at Hotel The California, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dmitri no longer owns or runs this hotel and the wifi is free and fast. Nonetheless, I apologize for your experience, and hope that, if you're ever back in the area, you will give us another chance.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

My friend and i stayed at Le Bateau for 3 days we were in Chiang Mai and we absolutely loved the place! The room was spacious, the service was excellent and it was in a great location in one of the main roads in the old city, walking distance from cafes and travel agencies ... it even has a massage shop right next to it! At the back area also is Wat Chedi Luang, where you can experience the daily Monk Chats - Le Bateau is really such a beautiful place right smack in the middle of everything. The staff was friendly and very nice - you can chat with them and ask for tips on what to do during your stay. The only thing is that the bathrooms are shared - but was not an issue for us since it's clean and well-maintained. For the 500 Baht we paid per night, it was worth the money. Will definitely book here again when I go back to Chiang Mai!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank JGA_23
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

Good Things:
1. Price, paid 350 bht for a double bed in a good size room.
Had to share a bathroom, but not a problem. There were two bathrooms and three rooms on the floor. If you want to pay a bit more (500bht) I think you can get an ensuite.
2. Laid back and nice atmosphere.
3. Amazing food in the restaurant. Not only did they serve bacon ( a rarity in a lot of SE Asia) but also prosciutto.
4. On the road of the Sunday night market !
5. Staff was very courteous. Not very talkative (except for the slightly odd owner), but very helpful. The owner speaks French which obviously has it's uses.
6. In a more trendy (ie yuppie area). Good place to find information on proper yoga and massage courses. Also decent area of restaurants.
7. It's right by the Wat Chedi Luang ! (And a bunch of other beautiful temples)

Slight Annoyances:
1. Noise. If you face the street you'll be treated to music from the U Chiang Mai. The actual volume and type of music isn't bad, just that there is a subwoofer. You can get rooms that face onto a side street or the temple. You'd probably get talking from the monks, but it wouldn't be as bad as the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo