“Excellent, great location, friendly helpful owner!”

Hotel The California
Ranked #339 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Excellent location in the old quarter of Chiang Mai, the sunday market is right out the front. The owner is a lovely french man who is very helpful for booking tours etc. Breakfast is included and the rooms are clean and quiet with clean shared bathrooms, air con and flat screen tvs and was cheap to stay at. I would definately recommend this place! Food is great as well.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This guesthouse was a pleasant surprise - recently under new ownership and there were some nice upgrades. For 350 baht, I stayed in a smaller but CLEAN room with air-con and a flat screen wall-mounted tv. The bed was much more comfortable compared to a few other guesthouses in the area. The room was quiet even though it faced a busy street. The only down side was the shared bathrooms but the owner mentioned changing things around in the future to incorporate private bathrooms in the room. Laundry was a bargain and the building felt very secure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
DelshadDavid, Owner at Hotel The California, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

So happy you enjoyed your stay. We are constantly working to improve the hotel, and hope you'll have a chance to visit us again one of these days. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This place is great if you are stopping over for a night or two. I've been back twice as the location is good, the owner is genuinely nice, and the rooms are clean. Hard to beat the price in that location. It's also fun on Sundays to see the sunday night market happen outside your window! Even with that commotion the rooms are nice and quiet.

Room Tip: The largest room with the large facing windows is nice to have and surprisingly quiet even with the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Landysan
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This is a nice, clean place. Downtown. Especially at the Wat-site, the rooms are very silent.
Good food too.
And at great price.
Definately a go-again-place !

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2010

DO NOT STAY AT LE BATEAU IVRE!!!

Worst experience ever at Le Bateu Ivre. Paid more for wi-fi (was not true). Then the owner blamed me for internet not working & yelled at me without letting me speak. When I got angry back, he threatened to call immigration and make problem for me. I asked for discount because wi-fi did not work and I needed wi-fi for work... he refused and kept yelling at me and saying it was my problem not his. I went to 5 other guesthouses -checked my internet at them all and had no problem... if the problem was with my computer, then why did I only have a problem at his guesthouse and not anywhere else.

I've been traveling for 5mo and have never had a problem like this... it literally ended with a screaming match with the owner. I am one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet; this was just ridiculous. To top it all off, he had taken my passport from me the night before (never had a guesthouse do that) and he refused to even let me see it before I paid the full amount, I refused to give him any money until I had a receipt and saw my passport and he aggressively ripped my money from my hand.

Dmitri-the owner of Le Bateau Ivre is a jerk... and treats his customers as though they are jerks... perhaps why I did not see any sign of any other guests. I do not want anyone else to experience this, so just avoid the place (and Dmitri) like the plague.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank kimberry37

Dmitri no longer owns or runs this hotel and the wifi is free and fast. Nonetheless, I apologize for your experience, and hope that, if you're ever back in the area, you will give us another chance.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

My friend and i stayed at Le Bateau for 3 days we were in Chiang Mai and we absolutely loved the place! The room was spacious, the service was excellent and it was in a great location in one of the main roads in the old city, walking distance from cafes and travel agencies ... it even has a massage shop right next to it! At the back area also is Wat Chedi Luang, where you can experience the daily Monk Chats - Le Bateau is really such a beautiful place right smack in the middle of everything. The staff was friendly and very nice - you can chat with them and ask for tips on what to do during your stay. The only thing is that the bathrooms are shared - but was not an issue for us since it's clean and well-maintained. For the 500 Baht we paid per night, it was worth the money. Will definitely book here again when I go back to Chiang Mai!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank JGA_23
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Good Things:
1. Price, paid 350 bht for a double bed in a good size room.
Had to share a bathroom, but not a problem. There were two bathrooms and three rooms on the floor. If you want to pay a bit more (500bht) I think you can get an ensuite.
2. Laid back and nice atmosphere.
3. Amazing food in the restaurant. Not only did they serve bacon ( a rarity in a lot of SE Asia) but also prosciutto.
4. On the road of the Sunday night market !
5. Staff was very courteous. Not very talkative (except for the slightly odd owner), but very helpful. The owner speaks French which obviously has it's uses.
6. In a more trendy (ie yuppie area). Good place to find information on proper yoga and massage courses. Also decent area of restaurants.
7. It's right by the Wat Chedi Luang ! (And a bunch of other beautiful temples)

Slight Annoyances:
1. Noise. If you face the street you'll be treated to music from the U Chiang Mai. The actual volume and type of music isn't bad, just that there is a subwoofer. You can get rooms that face onto a side street or the temple. You'd probably get talking from the monks, but it wouldn't be as bad as the street.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo