“Great ambience, terrible food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Le Coq d'Or Restaurant
Ranked #317 of 2,026 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
“Great ambience, terrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We paid an exceptionally large amount of money (especially by Thai standards) to enjoy the new years eve set menu. Not only was the food nothing special, but 2 out of 4 of our party spent the night vomiting after eating there. The dessert petit fours failed to arrive at our table, and when I did ask about them we were presented with a few pieces of chocolate. The foie gras was fatty and lumpy, and I ended up hiding it under some lettuce. The oysters were warm and unseasoned. I've eaten at other French fine dining restaurants and this was just very poor. The ambience and setting were great, but I could have had a better meal at McDonalds.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jonalport

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious Food and Impeccable Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I can only say everything about this restaurant was great! I had the Caesar Salad with Prawns, and Duck and an ice cream dessert. The meal was expensive! The service could not have been better! I was lead to believe this restaurant was the number 1 restaurant in all of Thailand! There was a two piece band the evening we visited and they were very good and took requests, and that made the place even more enjoyable!!

Visited November 2013
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Must GO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Don't think twice about not going here. Whilst pricey it is 110% value for the amazing food and impeccable service you get.
Only thing is they serve cruel food like Foie Gras which I avoid and prefer is simply not on the menu but everything else was just amazing.
Puts to Shame all the BS surrounding Michelin star restaurants here in Singapore Marina Bay Sands, which is the equivalent of a bad hamburger compared to the servuce and good at Le Coq D'or!

• Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“French style in Chiang Mai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was at Le Coq D'or last year for a business meal and returned this year for dinner with some acquaintances. The restaurant sent a "London Taxi" to pick us up at our hotel. Quite stylish. The menu was what I would say is "tourist french" with the favorites, but nothing that could be considered innovative.

That being said, what I had (French Onion soup, Tenderloin) was prepared very well. The wine list is expensive, and catering to all levels of pain price-wise. Wine is generally expensive in Thailand, so you should be not be thinking that they are so expensive when you look at the prices.

The services was attentive but no over doing it.

If you are looking for a break from the local cuisine in Chang Mai and don't mind spending a little extra, then this is worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hong Kong, China
“The perfect dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were in Chiang Mai for a short vacation and my husband reserved in advance a table for dinner at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. The reservation was via email and we received confirmation promptly, which was helpful.

The restaurant is located in a quiet neighbourhood, and is surrounded by a lovely garden. We called in advance to arrange for a complementary pick-up (in a London cab!) from one of the city hotels - it arrived on time, no fuss. The friendly staff greeted us at the door upon arrival and show us to our table which was by the window. The furnishing and decor of the restaurant was classy but not too posh to make you feel uncomfortable (we were afterall in our tees and shorts after a day of activity).

Food was exquisite. Perfection in both presentation and taste. The two of us shared lobster bisque and foie gras for starters, both were very good. But the star of the dinner was the mains, where we had the rack of lamb and the duck confit. The duck especially is outstanding, crispy on the outside, but tender and juicy within. The desserts on the other hand (we had chocolate cake and lime soufflé), appeared ordinary after the fantastic main. The lime soufflé was a little sour for my liking.

Service was professional and friendly - although some of them do not converse well in English. Overall however, I had a memorable birthday dinner at this restaurant and will definitely return when I am next in Chiang Mai.

• Visited September 2013