“French style in Chiang Mai”

Le Coq d'Or Restaurant
Ranked #389 of 2,102 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“French style in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was at Le Coq D'or last year for a business meal and returned this year for dinner with some acquaintances. The restaurant sent a "London Taxi" to pick us up at our hotel. Quite stylish. The menu was what I would say is "tourist french" with the favorites, but nothing that could be considered innovative.

That being said, what I had (French Onion soup, Tenderloin) was prepared very well. The wine list is expensive, and catering to all levels of pain price-wise. Wine is generally expensive in Thailand, so you should be not be thinking that they are so expensive when you look at the prices.

The services was attentive but no over doing it.

If you are looking for a break from the local cuisine in Chang Mai and don't mind spending a little extra, then this is worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“The perfect dinner”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were in Chiang Mai for a short vacation and my husband reserved in advance a table for dinner at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. The reservation was via email and we received confirmation promptly, which was helpful.

The restaurant is located in a quiet neighbourhood, and is surrounded by a lovely garden. We called in advance to arrange for a complementary pick-up (in a London cab!) from one of the city hotels - it arrived on time, no fuss. The friendly staff greeted us at the door upon arrival and show us to our table which was by the window. The furnishing and decor of the restaurant was classy but not too posh to make you feel uncomfortable (we were afterall in our tees and shorts after a day of activity).

Food was exquisite. Perfection in both presentation and taste. The two of us shared lobster bisque and foie gras for starters, both were very good. But the star of the dinner was the mains, where we had the rack of lamb and the duck confit. The duck especially is outstanding, crispy on the outside, but tender and juicy within. The desserts on the other hand (we had chocolate cake and lime soufflé), appeared ordinary after the fantastic main. The lime soufflé was a little sour for my liking.

Service was professional and friendly - although some of them do not converse well in English. Overall however, I had a memorable birthday dinner at this restaurant and will definitely return when I am next in Chiang Mai.

• Visited September 2013
Chiang Mai
“Fabulous French Food!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I ate there a few years ago but I have never forgotten the meal - it was SUPERB. I wish I had the funds to return more often.

Bangkok
“Great place, good food, just in case you dont like Thai food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Sure it is very unlikely that anyone in the world does not like Thai food, but on the other side, if you are tired of Chilly, try the coq d'Or, it is a great place to enjoy food. Nice music done by two elder Gentlemen, nice polite service and stylefull pick up in a vintage car!

Visited March 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“A five star experience”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went there a long time ago.I don't even remember what I ordered. But I do remember that the food was excellent and the ambience was wonderful. Somebody invited us to eat there. It was a first class experience. Very professional