Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Ranked #23 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had a couple of nights here, the location is very out of the way for Chiang Mai, the rooms are lovely and the pool would be great (if it wasn't so cold, but that is not the hotels fault!). Breakfast was ok and the onsite tour operation works if you want to pay over the odds for everything. We arranged for a tuk tuk driver or tour operators to come and pick us up.

Room Tip: Ground floor has direct pool access
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Jack_A,

Thank you so much for your recent comments and we do really appreciated that.

Glad to hear that you have had a wonderful time with us and we do hope to have you back here soon.

Jerome Sim

There are newer reviews for Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been writing this review in my head for a week now... This is NOT a luxury hotel, it's barely a nice hotel. My husband and I honeymooned for part of our stay in Thailand at this resort. This was by far the worst hotel and location as part of our honeymoon. Perhaps it's easier to list our issues:
- Minimal English spoken by the staff so problems we had could not be resolved
- overflowing bathroom every shower we took
- ants literally in the food containers in the mini bar ( even after we asked them to replace... They brought back more food with ants!!!
- holes in our pillow cases ( so gross!)
- holes in our towels
- 2 beds pushed together to make a king...
- we booked one type of room and got another ( another honeymooning couple confirmed this issue too)
- gym was severely out of date ( circa 1985)
- hotel location was far from town so we had to take cabs everywhere. The location of the hotel was surrounded by broken down area.
- the hotel kept changing the amt of money for our driver p day. We had paid: 300, 400, 500 baht p day... And the last day they quoted us 1500 baht!!! That's when we got sooo angry. We had had enough that we rebooked our flight and left earlier! Thus this poor write up about the hotel that I've been thinking of for a week now.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Heathdog,

Firstly please accept my apology for all the glitches that you have encountered during your recent stay with us.

I have read your comment with full attention and taking every notes and will further investigate to why all those unnecessary events happened to you. My apology for all this and I am regret that I did not know this earlier otherwise I would have come to meet up with you.

To communicate in English is a challenge here for a non Thai speakers especially our maids have very limited English. However we have a great team , English speakers to assist our guests beside other languages. Thanks for your comment as I will then push a more English class to our staff.

- I will investigate on why the staff brought food to you with ants. This is strange and I have checked all the log books and my Executive Chef is also investigating as all food before delivered to guest to the rooms will be double checked by him.

- Pillows cases and towels with holes? - this I will not tolerate and my sincere apology. I will need to speak to the executive housekeepers

- Gym - our fitness equipments are old fashion but they work very well and we keep on the maintenance work.

- location - we are located outside the main city centre which takes 15 minutes or less to everywhere including to the airport. As we are located in the main CBP (Chiangmai Business Park), there are new shopping malls and boutique malls near completion although some people might think this is a bit rough place. However our hotel is surrounded by 5 meter walls with bamboos and beautiful landscaped gardens, one will fell intrigue to the beauty and serenity upon checking in.

- Transportation - I am not so sure about the different charges you have been told by our tour desk. The downtown trip (depending which drop zones) differs from 300 to 400 Baht. This is that standard charge of our tour desk service. For anything that is above Baht 1,000, this could be a trip including visitations to attraction areas or recreational parks. Outside taxi operators who are soliciting business outside our resort do charge different prices.

Heathdog, I do hope all these encountering will not defer you from using our Brand or coming back to stay with us again.

Please let us know should you need further assistance in your future bookings either at Khum Phaya or at our other hotels.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

The pool was great, the location good - close to nearby Big C shopping centre but a little out of the way from the main part of the city. Hotel kindly gave our party 2 birthday cakes as we had booked 3 rooms and were celebrating 2 birthdays. The house keeping staff were helpful but did not stick to procedure - one kept taking away dirty towels without replacing them and the other kept replacing clean towels which we would have re-used. Any requests to the front desk were dealt with adequately. There were a few safety issues with nails protruding from the floor boards and sharp corners on door draft stopper (staff attended to nails but I forgot to report sharp corner on bottom of door - had to remind the kids to be careful). We had 3 rooms - 2 of which opened onto each other, which was great. Breakfast buffet was reasonable but not great - enough variety but some of the hot food was not hot. Fairly good value for the level of comfort. Overall an enjoyable stay - I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear LT412,

Thank you so much for your recent comments.

I have read with interest and concern, and will definitely follow up with my Executive Housekeeper on the replenishing towels issue.

I have spoken to our Chief Engineering to readdress on the Preventive Maintenance program and to check all wooden flooring based on your findings.

Looking forward to have you back here soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I will start with the positives about Centara Khum Phaya. The room was nice. The facilities possess good visual appeal. The reception staff was good. The pool looked pretty. Now for the negatives. The mosquito problem was very bad, worse than in any of the other hotels we stayed in throughout SE Asia. Maybe it's because of the proximity of the pool to the rooms, and the dense vegetation surrounding the pool. Whatever the reason, when we informed the hotel of the problem with so many mosquitoes in our room, they sent someone who didn't speak any English to our room who began spraying our room while we were standing there, without warning, much less permission. This occurred within an hour of our arrival. Before that, we decided to lounge at the pool and enjoy a cool beverage on this hot afternoon. We found that in order to get to the pool bar, we had to move shrubbery aside. We were told at check in that the pool bar would be staffed and that there was another bar near the pool. The staff for the pool bar was not there other bar was closed. We did find one person on duty at the restaurant on the facility beside the pool and he said we could have a drink at the pool, but rather than give it to us, he would have it brought to us. There was nobody else at the pool at that time, but it took 20 minutes for our glass of wine to arrive. By then, the mosquitoes at the pool were becoming a major problem. That's when we returned to our room and the incident with the bug spray took place. By this point, we decided that Centura Khum Phaya was not the place for us. It was a lower class of hotel than had been represented, it suffered from an unusually bad mosquito problem and unbeknownst to us, it was in a marginal location on the edge of town, far from the desirable central area. Our travel agent's many efforts to obtain even a partial refund of our three days prepayment were futile. It is curious that they call this a resort hotel. It bears little resemblance to the sort of properties westerners would refer to as resorts. I am pleased to report that there are many fine hotels in Chiang Mai with reasonable prices and a superior location to this one. The one we moved to, despite the fact that it was adjacent to the river, was relatively free of mosquitoes.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan N

Dear Dan_N,

Please accept my apology for the discomfort you have had during your stay with us.

I will speak to the Housekeeper on the issue of spraying the mosquitoes repellent in your presence. My apology again for the miscommunication.

Our pool bar opens daily at 11 am and we have one staff to man the bar counter. Some drinks need to be brought from the main bar from the restaurant as we just limit our drink list to be served at the pool.

The other bar you are refering to must be our Rim Tarn Bar which only opens at 5 pm.

I am sorry if this operating hours were not communicate to you when you were here. We have all our operating hours stated in our room directory but having said this, this is not an excuse. I will let the F & B team knows that they should walk and extra mile by offering this information to guests.

As our resort is covered with vast landscaped gardens, we are definitely prone to all kind of tropical insects like beetles, bees, mosquitoes, dragon flies and mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes are no doubt our top enemies here but we do fumigate our resort every Thursdays and we are looking to increase the frequency as to the breeding season in order to control their populations. I can assure you that the mosquitoes at our resort are non-disease carriers mosquitoes but it it a nuisance which I cannot deny.

I hope this will not deter you from coming back to use our Brands or to return to stay with us.

Please let me know should you have plans to come back in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Second stay at Khum Phaya Resort ans Spa on my wife's birthday in January.
The ground and our room are still beautiful and services are excellent still.
We seemed to have a good holiday here like the previous stay, but not.

First, there were more than 20 mosquitos in our bedroom. So, I would like to complain the housekeeping. I understand we are in a hot country and there are a lot of tree and bushes in the area, but this should not be an excuse, because many hotels dealing with the same conditions, and they can do much better than this hotel. Awareness should be increased among housekeeping staff and also hotel guests. I read many complains on TA about mosquitos, and I think it's time that the management to take it more serious about mosquitos in guestrooms before you loose your customers.

Second, the sound from the construction site just across the hotel wall (50 metres from my room I guess) is very very annoying. It's SUNDAY, and we need a quiet room for resting. But, the work started from 6 or 7 a.m. So, this is a tip for ones who consider staying at this hotel. Call them, if they cannot guarantee a room on the other side (away from the construction), choose another resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank akepunlop
KPCChiangMai, General Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear akepunlop,

Firstly I would like to apologize for the mozzies problems. It is at the time of the year that we are now facing this challenge as it is their breeding seasons. However we are very lucky as we have our mozzies expert to inspect our resort to see if there are any disease carrier species. The result turned out to be, we are cleared from the disease carriers mozzies. Not to ignore this we are fumigating the entire resort every Thursday and we have now set plans to increase the schedules although some guests might find this is annoying.

As for the rooms, we are doing our best to seal every corners from the mozzies to get into the guestrooms. Our maids are very careful when cleaning the room by not leaving the rooms open. However, many of our guests accidentally left the door opened and this has given the opportunity for the mozzies to get in.

As for the construction, thanks for bringing this matter up. They should not be working on Sunday. We will speak to the management there.

Please do not let this deter you from coming back to stay again with us.

Looking forward to have you return again and again.

Jerome

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great room, with very picturesque grounds around the compound. It was a little bit farther from downtown, but the tuk tuk wasn't too expensive, and they have a shuttle that heads to the night market every night. The service was very attentive, and it was a wonderful place to come back to after shopping and riding elephants.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NoloBaggins

Dear NoloBaggins,

Thank you so much for your recent posting and we do really appreciated your positive comments.

Good news - we are now adding more shuttles from the resort to downtown soon to meet up with guests requirements.

Hoping to welcoming you back here.

Jerome

Reviewed February 3, 2014

There are two Centara hotels over at Chiangmai. One is of more economical value called Centara Duangtawan and the other is Centara Khum Phaya Resort & Spa. It was a takeover by Centara I was told. I stayed for a night during my northern winter trip over the New Year's holiday. This hotel is amazing, Chiangmai is a bustling city and any city hotels are stereotyped to be just staying in room within a concrete block. Well not here. The grand entrance, painted in decorative gold and built of dark wood, is like walking into a very grand temple. The accommodation lined the very large lengthy pool is just two stories high with all lower rooms having pool access. I was upgraded to a pool access for free and the bathroom was truly exquisite. It had a Jacuzzi in there and I so loved relaxing my aching body massaged by the powerful jets after a hectic day of driving and visiting places. If you travelled enough, you will get to know that most hotels in Thailand had aged and negligence inherent. Water flow in bathrooms will be reduced to a trickle so washing soap and shampoo from oneself would take an eternity. However here, the bathroom, in addition to the main shower head, had six additional water jets to engulf your body. I didn't know the jets were so powerful, I turned them on full. The initial freezing water almost shot two tiny extremities on my chest off.

The avenues within the compound is shaded under tall majestic tress. Strolling under the green foliage in cool winter air, my mental state pacified into a total relaxation. They have bar that is tastefully suited next to an artificial river and having that cocktail in the cool night in tranquility is much better than having drinks at noisy beer gardens in city. Sliding my wooden doors opened, the pool was very inviting, but water too cold for swim this period. Would have been great for summer. Sumptuous buffet breakfast was served out door in a sheltered garden housing, the wooden decked floors on which the chairs and tables were set. In the winter morning, cold it was, steam bellowed from my tea. The area a bit small so one will have to sit indoors if late and the crowd had set in. A great escape from city life within the Chiangmai city. No regrets that I had picked this for a night's stay.

Room Tip: Pool access room will be very good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kings L

Dear J404,

It was a great pleasure to have you here with us recently for your short break and we are all so happy to hear that you have had a wonderful and memorable stay with us.

I am sure your comments will really help our hotel to be promoted to all end users. It is always great to hear good comments from our guests and to learn from them how happy they were.

Hoping to have you back here soon.