I found that many of the reviews in the recent past have over-rated this resort or at least did not reflect our experience there.
Things started off on a bit of a wrong foot when they showed us to our room with a "king bed" which was just two twins pushed together with the usual gap in the middle of the two mattresses and the half headboard on one side then gap where the night stand usually is and other headboard now hanging off to the side. This room was clearly meant for someone else originally as the welcome letter on the bed was addressed to someone else. We requested to change to a room with a 'real' king bed which was accommodated although the room we were moved to had dirty towels in it from the last guest and I imagine hadn't been serviced. The shower was not working, but that was sorted out the next day.
The room we moved from was a "lagoon view" which we had requested based upon other reviews but BE WARNED, things have changed. As you can see in the photos a new development immediately behind the lagoon has changed what was likely once a solitary retreat to an overlooked noisy area. Based on the ongoing construction noise we noted daily throughout our stay it seems we lucked out by not getting a king bed and requesting the room change.
The facility aims to be a luxury resort but falls short based upon the quality of service and finer details one usually expects in a truly luxury resort. No morning news papers, the fit and finish is only of a moderate standard and the environment is blatantly artificial. The service at the front desk was always slow and often painful to navigate through an issue.
The two most significant problems with this resort are:
#1 location: Although hotel offers a ‘free shuttle’ this is at best a token service. It operates twice a day at hours which aren’t all that useful, requires 4 hours minimum advanced booking, and even in the shoulder season is always full. Although taxis or took tooks are cheap (avg 150-300 bhatt to get from most places in town to the hotel) there are very rarely either waiting at the hotel. Your best bet is to walk 10-15 min to the front of the Big C extra and try to find a taxi there. If you like going out on the town at night it can be very difficult to find a taxi willing to take you back to the hotel at night and expect to pay at least double what you paid for your trip into town. The resort should run an hourly shuttle in and out of the old city on a first-come first-serve basis.
#2 insect issues: Yes this is Thailand, you have to expect insects. However, things are a little out of control here. We were extremely careful about food or sweets in the room but despite this from the moment we arrived there were ants everywhere inside and out of our room. The balcony had a constant stream of ants going across it and up the walls. Inside the room it wasn’t uncommon to open drawer (with only toiletries or clothes in it) and find ants crawling all over. More then once I either awoke or after staying in the room for a bit founds ants crawling on me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection (formerly Prince Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Chiang Mai): Chiang Mai is well-known for its extensive range of hotels, many being high rise within the city centre. Unlike others, Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection aims to deliver a friendly traditional Lanna style resort right to the heart of Chiang Mai. The design and architecture of Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection are based on Lanna (Northern-Thai) traditions and customs, distinctively for the Art of Teak Wood Carving used in the majority of the decorations including the 80-year-old teak wooden roof topping. Plus, in-room furniture and facilities are in Lanna style. The pleasant landscape, conceived from traditional Thai style, which is an assembly of Thai mythological trees and flowers, which some age more than a hundred years, make Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection an unique place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Fastbooking, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Khum Phaya Resort And Spa Centara Boutique Collection
- Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection Hotel Chiang Mai