“A lovely property in Chiang Mai”

Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Ranked #22 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New Delhi, India
“A lovely property in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A good boutique hotel away from the city life,
Rooms open up into the swimming pool on the lower floors, so you can take a dip at your own luxury at any time of the day.

A lovely Manager Ms Khetkarm who was warm and gladly upgraded us by paying a 1000 bhats a night to the lower rooms,

BF is really good and the spa is definitely on par with one of the best in Thailand!

A great resort to unwind for all ages, to drinks by the pool, spa, lovely ethnic design which makes you feel like your in Bali!

I sure recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Pay more and get a room on the lower floors which open up straight into the Pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Mr. Rashi,

On behalf of Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection. We would like to thank you your compliment to our team and facilities.

We all hope to see you and family in Chiang Mai again.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Having stayed at the Sheraton, Hua Hin in March this year, it is impossible not to draw comparisons between the two. This hotel isn't quite up to those standards, hence the reason for 4 stars and not 5.

We stayed here for 13 nights between 30th September and 13th October.

On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and a cool welcome drink and cold face towels. We upgraded to a pool access room on arrival for an additional 500TB per night. This was well worth the extra expense.

As mentioned by at least one other reviewer, some of the pool access rooms have a bigger step down to the pool than others. Ours had a step down of about 3 feet I would guess. Not really a problem for us, but might be a consideration for some. It's hard to understand why some of the blocks were built in such a way as to make this step down necessary, but I'm sure with a little thought and not too much expense it would be possible to design an easier way of access.

The room itself was spacious and had all the facilities one would expect from such an establishment. The air conditioning in particular was excellent, being so quiet that you couldn't tell when it was on.

On the first night, the maid called in the evening to perform the turn-down service. This consisted of closing the curtains and putting the mosquito net around the bed. I only mention this because it was the only time it happened. It didn't bother us, as we're quite capable of doing this ourselves, but it just seemed odd that it happened on only the first night.

We didn't have too much trouble from mosquitos. We had the room sprayed on one occasion when there seemed to be too many of them for our liking and apart from on the first night we slept without the mosquito net surrounding us.

The bathroom has a walk-in shower and a (big!) jacuzzi bath.

Two complementary bottles of water are supplied each day, which wasn't enough for us, but you can request more if you need it.

Two brown towels are supplied every day for use around the pool.

The lagoon style pool is not very deep, so only young children would be out of their depth.

Other reviewers have commented on the cleanliness of the pool. There are always leaves in it inspite of the best efforts of the staff, simply because many trees overhang it and are constantly dropping leaves into it. The sides and bottom of the pool could do with a bit of a scrub in places where algae is evident, but we weren't at all put off by it.

Sun beds are not that numerous and some have seen better days, but very few people appear to visit this hotel to sunbathe - it seeming to be more for people touring around the country, so we never had a problem in obtaining one.

We were booked on a bed and breafast basis. Breakfast for us did get very repetitive after a few days. The hotel provided all kinds of food including Thai, English, continental, cereal, fresh fruit and salad. Because of the lack of size of the breakfast area and the relatively low numbers of guests, the amount of choice within each type of breakfast fare was quite limited. For example, the same four fresh fruits were available every day. For the first few days this meant pineapple and three different types of melon, with one of the melons being replaced by something akin to pear (but which looked like a raw crinkle-cut chip) for the remainder of our stay. We would have liked more variety each day, but I guess for those only staying a couple of nights, this is not an issue.

If you choose to eat at the hotel, then you will pay at least twice the price of outside.

I found the staff to be extremely polite, helpful and always smiling. Some of them do not have a terrific grasp of English, but I found that the standard of English in this part of Thailand is generally poorer than in the south where I guess it is more touristy. They all speak far better English than I do Thai of course!

Next to the hotel is the Khum Khantoke restaurant which we had a look in, but didn't eat there. Five minutes walk away is Big-C's which is a bit like a French style shopping mall/hypermarket. It has several eateries including McDonalds and KFC. We ate at Black Canyon Coffee more often than not. On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays there is a local market 5 minutes walk from the hotel. This is mainly aimed at the local people, but is worth at least one visit if only to sample some of the freshly cooked food on offer.

We caught the hotel's free shuttle bus into Chiang Mai nearly every night. It drops outside the night market 6 days a week and on Sunday, at the Sunday Walking Market. Both are well worth the visit. As well as hundreds of stalls selling the kind of merchandise Thailand has become synonymous with, there are lots of bars and restaurants catering for all tastes. You can also have a 30 minute massage for 80TB (less than £2. How much would you pay for that back home!).

As far as venturing further afield goes, we visited Doi Inthanon National Park, Chiang Rai and the White Temple, The Golden Triangle and the border with Myanmar/Burma. All were well worth the visit. We booked the trips from agents in Chiang Mai's night market rather than through the hotel. We were picked up and dropped off at the hotel.

The all important weather was variable. October is still the rainy season. We tended to find that the best of the weather was in the morning and late afternoon, although on some days it was mostly cloudy all day long. We did have some rain, but it tended to be a short sharp downpour as opposed to the persistent type we get in England. The temperature was much more pleasant than we experienced in Hua Hin in March, particularly at night.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, although it went far too quickly! I particularly liked the traditional build and architecture of the place. The only other hotels I saw in Chiang Mai were all huge characterless high rise buildings. I'm sure they're very nice and offer a high standard of service and accommodation, but I'll take the Khum Phaya over them any day.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are well worth having, but if possible try and get one which doesn't have the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vigo63
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Vigo 63,

On behalf Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection. We are very appliciated your comments on Trip adviser!

We have noted all your point as mentions, its made us to know your expectation and to improve our better services.

Again Thank you very much for your time, and we hope to have a chance to serve you and family again.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at Khumphaya resort for 3 nights in August this year and we really enjoyed it. The room price is above the standard average price in the area but it was worth our money! The hotel belongs to one of the best hotels we have stayed so far. The room has the touch of Northern traditional Thai style with lots of teak wood decor. The room is spacious, large bathroom with Jacuzzi, very comfortable bed, flat screen TV, tea & coffee facility etc. They have got large swimming pool. The area has got hundreds of type of exotic trees and man-made waterfall. Staff was friendly and helpful. They always greeted us wherever we walk within the resort. Breakfast was amazing with varieties of Thai and European food, fresh bakery and egg station. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Downstairs with direct pool access is recommended.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank I love T
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear I Love T,

On behalf of Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara, Boutique Collection. We would like to thank you your time to voted us on Tripadvisor.

Your written is realy motivate us to work a better service and achieve our objectives. We hope you and family will visit us in Chiang Mai again.

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

The resort is very nice, not far from down town and they have free shuttle take you to night brazzar, closed to Big C (5 mins walk), food is tasty, staff are all very kind, good services! We are staying in Jacuzzi room, very spacious, room have steam room, message room, outdoor jacuzzi pool but totally private! It's very good to stay!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank DevonYv
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear DevonYv,

Greeting from Khun Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection!!! On behalf of our team, we would like to Thank you your time to Voted us.

Your compliment are motivated our team to do a better services. There all so to drive us to acchived our aims.

Have a wonderful day and we hope to see you again in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Khum Phaya Resort has a beautiful open air check-in desk where you are seated on couches to complete the check-in process. They offer tea and a cool towel to refresh yourself. You are delivered to your room via golf cart and the attendant comes in and shows you how to turn the power on and some of the main amenities in the room. I specifically asked for a poolside room. The beauty of the pool is amazing and you can enter the pool right from your patio deck. The only real problem is getting back out and up on your personal deck. If you are a tall person I think it is easily navigated, but for the average person it is not an easy endeavor. GIven the vast amount of foliage, there is a lot of bugs that go with it. They have mosquito screens on the door allowing you to open the slider, but keep the bugs out. The beds were nice, but felt it could be better. I opted for the deluxe spa package involving a facial, massage, body scrub etc...Soi was amazing. She was kind, and very skilled. The spa experience begins with a glass of cold blue tea and then you are escorted to your private room where you take a steam shower for 20 minutes and begin a 2.5 hour blissful experience. I have never been so relaxed in my life. It ends with another cup of blue tea and some kind of sunflower seed cracker that was delicious. Wonderful experience. Life in the tropics requires some adjustment to geckos, tons of butterflies, ants, mosquitos and so forth, and I believe the hotel staff make an earnest effort to keep them under control. The spa to me was reasonably priced for what you get, whereas the room I think was a bit overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: Get a poolside room even if just for the view. See attached photo.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kvalah
Dear Kvalah,

On behalf of team Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection. We are appreciated your compliment and time to voted us on Trip advisor.

We will keep all the best and ensure our customer satisfied a part of our services and enjoy our facilities during stay at Khum Phaya.

Again, Thank you we holp to see you in Chiang Mai

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My partner and I were in need of a much needed vacation. We were looking for a hotel that would offer privacy but also include the amenities of a larger one and Centara was the perfect choice. The grounds were green and lush with beautiful flowers and fragrant throughout.

Despite being upgraded to a Villa, we opted for a deluxe pool access which was spacious, nicely furnished and best of all, literally steps away from the pool.

The service at the resort was superb and everyone was charming, characteristic of Chiang Mai :)

The only negative thing about the hotel is the food. The menu was definitely overpriced and the quality sub-par at best. I do hope they change this because it would make for a very nice resort otherwise.

For a great Thai spa experience, check out "Thai Massage" located on the backside of a shabu shabu restaurant on the way to BigC.

Room Tip: Deluxe pool access is the way to go. Choose the one to the left of the reception. The ones on the ri...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GalavanttheGlobe
Dear GalavanttheGlobe,

On behalf of our team at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection. I would like to Thank you your time to Voted us on Trip Advisor.

We here are very appreciated your recently stayed. Now, we have noted your commented to improve a part that you mentions.

We hope to serve you and family again in Chiang Mai.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Came here and stayed 2 nights for a workshop - beautiful hotel, generally really friendly staff. Nice location - not too close to the center of town but shops and shopping center nearby so that there are things to walk around and see. There are also cultural shows available nearby.

After the conference I had to wait around for a few hours for my flight, and hung around the lobby for a bit. I had some food from the day before that I decided to eat for dinner, and reception offered to heat it for me, or told me I could go eat it in the (almost empty) restaurant and enjoy the cooler air - I did, with the intention of giving a fairly generous tip.

After heating my food, they told me that I had to pay 100 baht for the service, which left a bad taste in the mouth...not only was the price extortionate, but they could have told me before they took my food for heating. Not the best end to the trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mr. Karan K,

On behalf our team at Khum phaya resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection. I would like to thank you your time to voted and comment our team services.

Our team have receiving and noted in this metter regarding your comment. Its made us to know how to improve a better service and met your expected from our resort.

Again, we would like to apologize for any uncomfortable and Thank you for your support our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back again in ChiangMai.

Faithfully yours,