“Great hotel in traditional Thai style but a bit outside the city”

Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Ranked #23 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I spend 5 nights with my 3 kids in the khum phaya hotel in Chiang May and I must say it is great vaue for money hotel though even pricy. The traditional Thai design rooms, houses and pool make it very relaxing and extremely pleasant. Most of the staff were great and very helping. One lady at the reception was not very kind and and could only answer by no - which is strange for Thai people in general. She made me feel I was disturbing her while I needed her help...
But once again ther hotel design and vibe compensated for this little inconsistency.
The hotel is located outside the city of Chiang Mai, so you would need a cab ride to get there. There is a local market with quite some bars and restaurants arounds with primarelly 99.99% locals, so this is great but the food is not too much tuned for my 6 and 10 years old duche :-).
The distance from the center makes it that you are last in the drops of activities and seating I the back of a pick is always a great experience if it can be shortend :-) all in the hotel design and pool relaxing atmosphere makes it a great place to stay in Chiang Mai. Make sure you get a room far away from the busy road where tuk tuk whizz along, and plan your excussion with the hotel - not really more expensive than downtown so you can get drop off first when you are exhausted - it is really a magical place to relax and the vibe is great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Benoit S
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Benoit S,

Thank you on behalf of our Khum Phaya team for having been our guest recently, your comments serve as a motivation to all of us to continue working hard to achieve our better and higher goal.

We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next journey to Chiang Mai.

Faithfully yours,

There are newer reviews for Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Khum Phaya is only a 150baht taxi ride into town or use the free hotel shuttle with a huge Big C shopping centre and 7/11 close by for any little necessities you may need. We had a Deluxe Lanna room with pool access, huge king size bed and a lovely bathroom. We found our bed spacious but a little too hard for comfort. The pool is amazing and the pool access rooms are perfect for sipping cocktails and reading on the deck. Lounges on the islands are also great and a cute kids area for families. The pool is sparkling clean with little bridges to walk across to the other side and to the islands and beautiful fountains and water features (although a bit noisy). The hotel has continuous subtle Thai music playing throughout the hotel and grounds which is a nice touch plus very relaxing. The buffet breakfast is fantastic with everything anyone could wish to eat for breakfast. The restaurant served delicious Thai food and the chefs were more than willing to make us Thai dishes which were not on the menu. All the staff were friendly but unfortunately their English was about as good as my Thai (not very)!! There also seemed to be a major problem with a lack of bath towels, something I would not have expected from Centara. On one occasion I asked for my towels and was told "one moment please", hours later still no towels, finally they delivered orange pool towels to me and told me the bath towels were "finished". My suggestion to Centara is buy more towels, surely they must know that with a full house over a long weekend they would need plenty of towels. Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Khum Phaya and would definitely stay there again and would recommend it as a relaxing, laid back Chiang Mai hotel. Oh, I forgot to mention the Spa. I had several treatments at the absolutely gorgeous spa and was treated like a queen. The prices were very affordable and the experiences were incredible, the rooms were spotlessly clean and the products were sensational, the girls were lovely and quiet. I felt like I was walking on air after these treatments, this is a must do!!!

Room Tip: Go for the Lanna Deluxe pool access room if you don't have young children, they are perfect!!
3  Thank mickenmelbourne

Dear Mickenmelbourne,

Thank you on behalf of our Khum Phaya team for having been our guest recently, your comments have been taken and noted to all of us to continue working hard to achieve our better and higher goal.
We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next journey to Chiang Mai

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was a great place to stay - the best of our time in Thailand. Outside the main part of the city, but with a regular shuttle bus service. The hotel and grounds are beautifully designed and staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a spacious, comfortable and clean room with a jacuzzi bath and verandah with pool access. It was lovely to step straight from the room into the pool for an early morning swim. Breakfast is lavish - I can't imagine anything more that would be wanted. A really great surprise was the quality of the food in the restaurant - not at all the normal bland hotel food - some of the best we ate in our 3 weeks travels and reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KerryG123

Dear KennyG123,

On behalf of all my team at Khum Phaya resort and Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, I thank you very much for your kind review.

Your compliment is much appreciated, it really serve as a great motivation to all staff.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Quite away from town, Khum Phaya Resort & Spa was a lovely place to spend a relaxing time in Chiang Mai. We were welcomed with chilled fruit drink and cold towel scented with lemongrass. Very refreshing indeed!
Originally we had a booking of a Lanna Deluxe Twin room plus an extra bed (One extra bed incl. breakfast for THB1,000 per night). Upon checking-in, I found out that our room was on a second floor, not the room adjacent to the swimming pool. We were a bit disappointed. The front desk staff offered us a special rate for upgrading to the room on a ground level with a terrace access to the resort swimming pool for only THB500 per night! Who would deny for that?
The resort area is quite large so they provide an electric car (golf car) from lobby to rooms. You can call the operator for the electric car to pick you up as well. Once we got into our beautiful room, found that our twin beds were furnished with; I don’t know what’s it called, a curtain? It was quite lovely! The room was not that big, perhaps because we had the extra bed taken the space. The bathroom was huge! Big tub with Jacuzzi, shower cubicle with lovely rain shower and powerful side showers! I just love them!
Once opened the back door to the terrace, there is a stunningly beautiful swimming pool right in front of us! We spent most of the afternoon in the pool! The pool bar is right over here but there was no bar attendance perhaps because of the rainy season.
In the morning, we headed to Kham Saen restaurant for a buffet breakfast. The wait staffs were friendly and attentive. However, one morning I ordered poached egg, one staff did not know what it was, but the egg chef knows it. But as he could not cook it at the counter so he ordered it for me. I waited for too long I decided to ask for more simple egg. Then later, the egg was served. It was a sunny side-up egg which cooked in boiled water! I was surprised a resort like this don’t know how to make a poached egg, though it was ok to me. The chef who cooked eggs made me scrambled eggs with cheese so yummy that I had to ask for another one! The orange juice tasted a bit strange but other foods were fine. Huge range of breads & rolls are available at the counter.
I think beside the beautiful area of the resort, their friendly staffs are quite a strong point to please guests. Whenever we met any one of them, at any time of the day, they would stop and greet us with smiles. I noticed that not only at this resort but people all around Chiang Mai town are this nice. They are always with smiles on their face, helpful, and no attitude. Hardly any feeling like this in Bangkok, I must admit!
Anyway, since the resort is quite away from the center of Chiang Mai town, and it’s located at the back street of a Big C Extra store, so it can be difficult to get into the old town area or other tourist attractions. We found it very hard to get the red pick-up truck taxi here. Finally we got some taxi drivers’ phone numbers so whenever we need a ride, just give them a call. The taxi rate is fixed but it’s not cheap (comparing to Bangkok). The normal day time rate would be THB200 between resort and town (10-15mins), and THB300 at late night. But since there aren’t many choices so this would be the best. Besides all the taxi drivers were very friendly and quite considerate. If one cannot pick us up, they would recommend someone else and keep ringing whether we were properly taken care of. That was very nice of them.
As mentioned earlier, the resort is right behind Big C Extra, a super store chain transformed from Carrefour, and also only few minutes walk to a 7-Eleven, so it is quite convenient to get something if needed. I heard that every Thursday (or Friday I’m not sure), the street in front of the resort would be transformed into a walking street like a market. That should be interesting, but please check the day again.
If you come to Chiang Mai for relaxing but don’t want to be right in town and don’t want to be far away from town, Khum Phaya Resort would be one of the best places to stay a few relaxing days. I would definitely recommend the resort to anyone, and it would absolutely be lovely if we have a chance to stay here again.

Room Tip: Recommend a room on ground level with a door open to the swimming pool! But mosquitoes could be a bi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank patrick-syd

Dear Patrick - SYD

Thank you very much particularly on spending your time to write your candid review on our place and our service and for being our guest at Khum Phaya Resort and Spa, Centara Boutique Collection recently.

With your constructive comments, we know how to better meet your expectation and your kind words serve as a motivation for all staff to continue our strive for excellence.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We went there in early August and overall enjoyed our stay.On arrival staff were very polite and friendly.We Had a hiccup on the first night as the room we had (pool access)had a smell,a bit like a dusty mouldy smell and when going to bed the sheets were dirty.We called reception and a cleaner was there within minutes to change them.Had to stop her as the second pair had stains and red dots(like blood).had a third pair put on that had some holes,but we were happy enough and to tired.Reported to management in the morning and they said sheet are cleaned of site by another company.Hope they rectify the problem.appart from this we realy enjoyed our stay,staff from reception to restaurant were great.Hotel was a good choice for us as we went to relax and the pool straight out the door was good.(grab some mozzy spray on for the nights).
Brekki was great food great variety,i would say one of the best of the three places we stayed while in Thailand.Its a about 10-15 min from main town but most times you can work arount hotel shuttle times.Also has a fairly good gym.Overall there were more positives to wipe the early negative we had.Would recommend or go back.Also had a good friendly driver we got from town for the whole day,can get a car and driver for about 1000baht $30 aud to take you to temples waterfalls etc.

Room Tip: ground floor pool access doors are screened and glass is coated to keep private if needed.
1  Thank everywhereman777
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Sir,

Indeed, we would like to thank you for staying at Khum Phaya Resort and Spa, Centara Boutique Collection and for taking your time to review our resort in TRIPADVISOR. I remember receiving in person regarding your comment on the linen, obviously it is an unpleasant incident. I truly regret that we didn't handle things better and I have already followed up with my team to ensure such a situation does not recur.

Your other observations are grateful, to us every statement is meaningful. Your appreciation towards our staff service will be conveyed to them all.

Thank you one more time and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to Centara Khum Phaya Chiang Mai again in near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Smaller resort on the outskirts of town. Rooms and pool are everything they appear to be in the pictures. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Free shuttle into town, although more limited number of trips than larger hotels in big cities. Even without the shuttle, a taxi ride is 200Bt or less ($6 US).

If you're looking for an exciting night life or bar scene at this place, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you're looking for a quite peaceful get away, this is the place for you.

Breakfast was complimentary with room, and no expense spared. It was very complete with local, American, and European flavors to accommodate all.

Not a good place for a business trip, or a solo trip. OK for families, but not a lot of excitement for the kids. Great place for couples and friends.

Room Tip: Pay the few extra bucks for one on the ground floor by the pool! It's worth it. Not sure if sp...
1  Thank MatthewEason

Dear Sir,

Greeting from Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Boutique Collection!!!

We would like to thank you as your talked that has shown on Tripadvisor. We all happy to drive a better services.

Thank you again, and we hope to see your frieds and family that who need to visit In Chiang Mai.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been there in Khum Phaya Resort & Spa on July 2012, the place is good and it’s just near to a cultural center Khum Khantoke. After check in the serve us a good drinks I don’t remember the name. The hotel staffs were very welcoming and always smiling, they always ready to help us. The room is very clean. The place is also decorated with different kind of trees, orchid and swimming pool, they also have a nice conference room. If you wanna see a natural stream it is also there. It’s a nice experience for me and will remember Chiang Mai and Khum Phaya

Room Tip: Rooms just near the lobby is good, its near to pool, kitchen and conference hall also
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rema20
Ketkarn k, Manager at Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Greeting from Khum Phaya Resort & Spa Centara Boutique Collection!!!
We read your written the compliment which are parts servises and hotel facitities, we appriciated your talked and voted about us very positive.

We are great full for the time you spent with our resort and we hope forward to seeing you soon.

Kate