Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
$110
Very Good 4/5
$44
$31
Good 3.5/5
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
$502
$456
Anantara.com
$38
$36
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsprivate tourrooms are hugefat dog and mutleysiam ricefunkey monkeygreat hostsfree waterhonest advicehill tribegave us a mapthree roomsold cityhelpful ownerssingle bedday tourlarge fridgea wonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We have just left Chiang Mai having stayed at this guest house for 4 days. Apart from the fantastic price to stay here it is the owners who take guest houses to a 5 star level. David and Nuy were the best hosts I have ever had and I have travelled a lot of the world in my 43 years!
From the Thai greeting when you arrive from Nuy and a drink on the house to David's tailored and personalised explanation of the best areas to go / where to eat and drink and no end of things to do. The rooms are huge and have AC and a fridge, there is free wifi and the rooms are spotless.
The beds are nice and firm we had a great nights sleep every night and there was not a sound from either inside or outside the guest house. One of my favourite things about here was they have electric showers so no running out of hot water and after a long day excursion etc you can have as long a shower as you want without worrying about the water being cold or the other 1000 people in the hotel having a shower at the same time!
There is an honesty system for drinks and the apples and water are complimentary. If you get the chance for food then Nuy is an excellent cook try the banana pancakes the are fantastic. I may run out of superlatives for this place!
You get a great map from David and he is always on hand for tips and some banter. They couldn't do enough for us from getting me super glue for broken glasses to sorting our laundry out super cheap at the place just opposite - the service is 1st class.
We did 4 trips in 4 days all with the help of Funky Monkey.
Tiger kingdom - they arranged a tuk tuk for us and we had a wonderful experience there - top tip is go late as the cats are waking up around 5pm ready for feeding at 6pm - what an experience playing with baby tigers and stroking adult tigers!!
We did the elephant full day experience with Patara elephant farm. Hands down this was one of he best days of my life and we even got a discount as Nuy booked it for us. See my other reviews.
We did the private day tour (9 hours) with Sakorn. Ask David about it. This is a tour that he and David put together of the unseen side of Chiang Mai. The day was stunning from the rainforest walk to the kings coffee plantation where we sat above where the beans were from and had them ground fresh for our coffee to the amazing views and the one off experience of the local hill tribe at Chiang Mai's highest point 1400m above sea level - WOW. The highlight of the day however was the visit to Wat Palaad, this was the 2nd temple up the mountain and it was serene, beautiful and we were the only visitors for an hour. Sakorn the guide gives you an excellent insight into the Buddhist religion and explains all you ask to know and more! We also chatted a lot about Thai history and his own background - a very interesting guy and guide. Did I mention the delicious lunch halfway up the mountain only 50bt??
We left Chiang Mai with a fantastic taste in our mouths thanks to the Siam Rice cookery school that David recommended on our arrival. We odd a half day course before we flew to Cambodia and it was informative, entertaining and above all delicious. We made 3 dishes, a soup, a noodle dish and a curry dish and ate everything we made. Superb.
Peppered amongst this crazy few days were beers on the Funky Monkey patio with the owners, night markets, street food, restaurants and general good humour and a family feeling. I can't thank them enough for making me and my sisters stay one we will never forget.
Book it, you will NOT be disappointed. If I remember more I will add it or feel free to message me for more info. Thank you Funky Monkey.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank pvdfoy1
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Firstly let's say this was the cheapest accommodation we stayed in being two women inclined to luxury. However, it was brilliant! Large room, clean, comfortable and the best air con of our three week trip in Thailand. Great advice on what to do and where to eat. We loved David's recommendation of Dash, we ate there twice. Siam Rice cooking class was excellent. Used the laundry over the road, which also did massages, and both were great. As a contrast we stayed two nights at the Anantara. Six times the price. Yes, lovely surroundings but worth it? Give us Funky Monkey any day!

Room Tip: Top floor has aircon, but 56 steps up! Who needs a gym.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Accommodations: very clean rooms and bathrooms (cleaned daily), strong air conditioning, good food, all completely reasonably priced.

As a "travel agency": I rented a scooter for two days and booked a trek through Funky Monkey. Both experiences were great, new scooters, and David gave excellent help sorting through the trek options (before I'd even finalized my accommodations booking!).

The things you can't get anywhere else: David and Nuy and their staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. David sat with me on a few occasions at length and suggested restaurants, activities, massage spas and laundry services. I was interested in seeing a football match and they helped me make it happen.

You can tell they take great pride in sharing the best of their home city with visitors. I cannot recommend staying here enough.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Wyn D
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I spent 4 Days with David and Nuey the rooms are large and clean and the food excellent i thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will go back again. I rented a bike from David to get out of Chiang Mai and once your out towards the paddy fields its beautiful.
Many thanks Mike x

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Let me start off by confessing that we did not stay at Funky Monkey Guesthouse, yet I feel compelled to write this review because we planned our entire Chiang Mai trip basis the recommendations of David and Nuy.

We tried booking at Funky Monkey but they were sold out well in advance, basis previous recommendations I landed up at David's place on our first day at Chiang Mai.

He and Nuy sat down with us, spent a good one hour giving us their views on what all we could do at Chiang Mai.

We also had a look at the guest house, the rooms are very cozy and the place seems to be well kept and clean,

We walked out from Funky Monkey carrying a list of places to go to, places to eat and also got plenty of tips on where to get the best bargains in Chiang Mai.

The advice was spot on and we never regretted making our entire itinerary around David & Nuy's suggestions.

Look forward to staying with them during our next trip there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family