“great local advice and big room”

Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours
Ranked #2 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A good reasonably central location in Chiang Mai.
Upon arrival David gave us a half hour rundown of local knowledge which was invaluable and much appreciated. His recommendations about eating places were excellent, especially the "2000 person" barbecue buffet which should be compulsory for anyone staying in Chiang Mai.
He was also very helpful with tour advice. This intro. set this accommodation apart from others we stayed at.
The welcome also included a complimentary beer etc. which was greatly appreciated.
The room was very big, clean and cool. But be aware there a few flights of stairs of climb which would not be suitable for the elderly or those with disabilities. Make sure you book a low level room if that is the case.
Free internet computer available for guests, TV and dining area.
My only minor grumble would be that we found Nuy a little standoffish and unfriendly which cast a minor shadow over our stay.
Apart from that I do recommend this guesthouse.

Room Tip: be aware of stair climb to top level rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Dave and Nui were ready to meet and greet us and had our room prepared for us. We emailed a few times prior as we are travelling with our 4 children. From the massive room, the excellent service, Nui's yummy cooking (yellow curry is devine) and Fat Dog & Mutly (the resident dogs)... made this a home away from home. To Dave, you are amazing, insightful, patient and just basically in the right job. To anyone travelling thru Chiang Mai - please call in. The local advise, passion and friendliness is well worth it. We hope to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I stayed here during the Chiang Mai marathon. It's in a great location and there is so much to see withing walking distance. Very close to the Sunday Night market and good massage places across the street. My kids fell in love with their dogs Fat Dog and Mutley and even brought Mutley to our room a couple of times! David and Nuy are friendly and hospitable and had great advice on what to see and where to eat. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Funky Monkey was my first experience staying at a guesthouse, and my first stop in Thailand. I thought it awesome! The guesthouse was very clean and in a great location (just outside the moat). We could walk to everything we needed. Nuy and Dave are very nice and helpful. They booked all our outings, which made life easy. There is complimentary wifi and water, which were both bonuses in my opinion! I would defiantly stay here again and I will be recommending it to friends.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed December 23, 2012

David and Nuy are just brilliant. They gave us so much help and advice throughout out 6 nights there and were quick to fix the lock on our door when it was broken. The rooms are spacious, clean with a fridge full of water and a good TV. Breakfast in the cafe was lovely too. They recommended three trips to us (giving us discounts for 2 of them), all of which were excellent. Well priced and a good location.

Room Tip: Only three rooms and they are all pretty similar. Only advice is to book early to avoid disappointme...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

By far the best place we stayed in Thailand. David and Nuy were amazing - so incredibly friendly, full of information on things to do, places to check out, where to find the best food... They also do some pretty delicious food themselves as well. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, we spent quality time out on the balcony after a night out, chowing on banana rotis and watching lanterns float up into the sky. Perfect location too, close to the city centre, but down a smaller side street so you are never disturbed by the traffic noises. I would love to come back here :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I tried to book here last minute and not surprisingly they were fully booked. But they emailed me and offered to help find me a place to stay. I went straight there from the airport and they let me use their wifi and even called a place to confirm a room for me. All of that and I wasn't even a guest! Fantastic service and would recommend it based on that!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo