“another great stay an the Monkey”

Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours
Ranked #1 of 733 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“another great stay an the Monkey”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Just completed another stay at the Funky Monkey, i love the rooms large and spacious with comfortable beds. Nueys cooking is excellent and David has a large knowledge about Chiang Mai and the surrounding area.
I booked some good trips via Nuey who gave me honest advice, loved the cooking course and trecking, would go back again with no hesitation, well recomended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2011

If you've read the other reviews it will come as no shock to hear that the rooms at Funky Monkey are faultless. I stayed in 3 Hotels/Guesthouses during my month long stay & visited many more. Dont tell Nuy but she could charge a bit more for the quality that she provides.
If you like good thai food, but western portions, she can make that wok "rock". Also if you occasionally crave for a good old fry up or pork chops & mash, not a problem.
By far the best part of my trip was the effortless way that David managed to turn that little part of the soi into a community. Funky Monkey only has 3 letting rooms so make sure that you book in advance. If you just turn up they will try & find you nearby accomodation & give you help & advice on places to visit, according to your needs. If you want a motorbike, they've got plenty!
David does'nt just live in Chiang Mai.... He loves it. He spends as much time as he can outdoors, with the dogs, in the most beautiful countryside that you can imagine. This rubs off on guests & customers and before long there are six or seven of us spending the day visiting hilltribes(how crazy is flute man & crossbow man), temples off the tourist track, waterfalls & caves etc. We even went camping one night on an amazing river beach in the wilderness. David likes his fires!
If you prefer the official trips then David can help you with things that are not on the normal itineries. The cookery course at Siam Rice was excellent value for money, but if you do nothing else then please ask David to organise a Microlight trip for you. Its breathtaking!
So, all in all I really enjoyed my first trip to Thailand. Would it have been as good if I had'nt met Nuy, David , his guests & friends. NO WAY!!!
" It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive disenchanted"

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 6, 2011

After leaving the craziness of Bangkok, I wasn't sure if Id made the right decision in going to yet another rather large city. But the minute I walked into Funky Monkey, I knew my trip to Chaing Mai was going to be amazing!!!! This place is one of a kind in many ways. First, the rooms are huge and very clean. Then there are the dogs-Mutley and FatDog- who are so sweet and completely chill. But what makes this house a HOME is the owners-David and Nuy. Nuy is welcoming and cooks tasty, authentic Thai food. One night, she even took the guests and me to her family's home - it was an unbelievable experience to see the "real" Thailand!! David is such a character. Going into the beautiful Thai mountains with he and the two dogs-all on one motorcycle- was one of the highlights of my trip. The other guests at Funky Monkey were also super friendly- its hard not to be in a good mood at this guesthouse!!! STAY AT FUNKY MONKEY- if you like to smile, you'll love staying here!!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
middlesbrough england
Reviewed March 5, 2011

As I said on trip advisor last december my stay at the funky monkey was memorable,so I decided to check it out again in january 2011 and was not dissapointed in any aspect of my stay which was for three weeks.I actually felt a bit sorry for dave and nuy because while I was there They had to turn numerous travellers down who wanted to stay at the funky monkey.I thought if they had more rooms they could easily expand their business,but then again I thought that thats what makes it so special.Its so homely.The tours from the guest house are comparably very good value too

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Funky Monkey Guesthouse, if you are lucky enough to get a room there, houses a few VERY spacious, VERY clean, VERY cozy rooms. On top of this is a HOT shower, with great water pressure, that you don't have to crouch down to get under. Our room had two beds, a fridge, a TV, a couch area to lounge in, nice natural light, and an immaculate bathroom.

While it may be the great rooms that bring you there, what keeps you there are the fabulous owners of the guesthouse, David and Nui, who welcome you like family into their home. They serve delicious food, with a smile. They bend over backwards to accomodate you. They can arrange any trip or course you'd like to take, and transportation to get there. Best of all though, are the suggestions, for those adventurous types who'd like to get to the places less traveled. If you are really lucky, David may even take you there. (If he offers to take you on a day tour up the mountain, you would be crazy not to accept!)

Whether you are a first-time traveler wanting a comfortable place to stay with hosts that can help you plan your days, or a seasoned traveler wanting a quality accomodation at affordable prices to use as a home base, I would highly recommend this guesthouse.

1 Thank NickBrennan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is the most amazing guesthouse I have ever stayed in. Not only are the rooms huge and impecably clean but the hosts David and Nuy are up there with some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life!

A testament to how amazing this place is, is the fact that people who arent even staying there sit and talk with David and Nuy all day just because they are so great and so helpful. Myself and my partner booked all of our tours through them and their knowledge and advise is spot on.

Also, the location could not be better. Just on the moat, close to all of the sights.

As there are only three guestrooms, I recommend booking early. The night we left, people were queuing up for our room.

Even if in later life I am an millionaire and can afford any place in the world, I would make sure that if I were going back to Chiang Mai, I would stay at Funky Monkey.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in February 2011. I wish I could have stayed for longer. David Noy are the most friendly hosts we have come across in 3 months of travelling SE Asia. Both of them have incredibly useful local knowledge of the area and where to see and what to avoid.

The rooms are massive and are very clean. As there are only 3 rooms you get a very personal service. The food that Noy cooks is also great.

We also booked a trip to an elephant camp and a cookery course through them and for both went with their recommendations and were not dissappointed.

Would love to go back!