“New owners, still a good stay”
Review of Baan JaJa

Baan JaJa
Ranked #82 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Having stayed here 3 years ago (it was called Baan Nad Khun then) we decided to stay again this year. The new owners and staff are indeed very nice. The rooms are basic but comfortable. The free breakfast is also basic but decent. The wifi is fine. Baan Jaja is also walking distance to almost everything. But is enough off the main road that is was quiet. The only downside is the open windows on the fan rooms ensure that if you have very noisy neighbors you will hear everything they are saying. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor to get away from the noise of the common area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Baan JaJa

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The rooms are not too impressive (loose linoleum floor and cold, turquoise walls), but for the 350B you pay for a double room with a fan it is definitely good enough. The staff is very friendly and helpful, it's close to restaurants and bars, bike rentals and most other things you might want to be close to while discovering Chiang Mai. Also, the free WiFi is one of the best I've had in Thailand. If you are traveling on a budget this is a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Baan Jaa Jaa is a great value place with a good location. We enjoyed our 2 nights here. Our room was clean and big enough. The little sitting area at the entrance is nice for having a tea (free tea&coffee is provided). The internet connection was good at the entrance but was very poor in the room, which is an expected situation everywhere in thailand. Stuff is nice and smiling all the time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is always my go-to guesthouse in Chiangmai - great location, just down a little (but safe) soi/lane off Thapae Gate. New name but same everything else (including owners). Rooms are clean with fan, big bed, shower-room, wifi, and new drinking water everyday. Low season is cheaper but no breakfast. It would be lovely to also have a fridge in rooms, but there is a communal one downstairs you can use - they provide stickers! Stayed here with my parents for whom it was a little too simple. However stayed in the triple room on ground with the folks and issues of privacy didn't come to our minds at all. I usually stay on one of the upper rooms when there alone - I did notice the last time there was only netting across the window, thus in the evening you are visible if you have your light on. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for the owners to put in simple (darker) curtains.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Screen windows mean that anyone can hear what is happening in your room. Transparent curtains mean anyone can see what is happening in your room. The hang out area is nice. The free breakfast is basic, but help cut costs. The wifi is very slow if you are trying to upload pictures, but fine for checking email and booking your next stay. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We were elated to find lodging at this positively reviewed place. Front of house staff were warm and helpful; check-in was painless. Facilities were good, as described by most other reviews.

The "peeping Tom" nightmare happened when we returned from the Sunday night market.

My roommate took a shower with the lights on (like anyone would) but remarked upon finishing that it was disturbing how the lowly-placed ventilation window (covered only by wiremesh) left his lower torso in clear line of sight to a facing window of a neighbouring residence.

As a precaution, I decided to shower in the dark, with just a small LED lamp. Midway through my shower, however, the light in that nearby room across the fence came on and dimly illuminated my shower stall -- and me along with it. Although slightly bothered, I dismissed this as mere coincidence until I was shocked to see the outline of someone peering at me over the perimeter wall between my shower room wall and the next door compound -- his/her head would have been barely THREE FEET from me, separated only by a semi-transparent plastic sheet and a low cement wall!

I yelled, he/she quickly disappeared from view, and I grabbed my towel and exited the shower immediately. As it was nearly 11PM, and there was no space for a garden or utility area between the house and fence wall, the intruder was clearly there just to get a closer look at whoever was in the shower.

Since the office was closed and we'd been told the place was fully booked, it seemed no solution was available till morning. Covered in suds, I decided to finish the bath with cold water from the bidet in the separate toilet room.

We slept poorly that night, and I was freaked out that someone living next door to the guesthouse was using guest showers as a peepshow.

Worse, the poor design of the ventilation window (who puts these things at the guest's waist level??) made us wonder if someone had deliberately set this up.

We checked out first thing after breakfast, despite having earlier looked forward to finishing our entire Chiang Mai stay at Baan Nud Kun. The front of house person (I think her name was Cha) listened attentively and seemed genuinely horrified when I walked her through the privacy ordeal I'd experienced. She apologised and would not charge us for the room. She also explained that there should have been curtains (indeed there was a curtain rod over the window, with empty curtain rings), but that housekeeping may have forgotten to replace it in their haste.

Questions remain in my mind as to why the shower windows were built to leave guest privacy so vulnerable. Removable shower curtains, so easily forgotten or conveniently "misplaced", are an unreliable solution, leaving guests at the mercy of the pervert living next door.

If anyone from Baan Nud Kun reads this, I hope to have your public reassurance here that simple renovations will be made to move all ventilation windows higher up -- ABOVE and BEYOND the neighbouring property's line of sight -- so that such an unpleasant intrusion does not happen to any other guests.

P.S. I also took photos of the front of the house where the peeping Tom neighbour apparently resides, and have additional shots of the fence wall portion where he/she was standing. Feel free to contact me for this if you will take further action on the matter.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lluviaypapel
balloon44, Owner at Baan JaJa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience & shocking experience in the room 106 as stated. It was totally our fault and thank you very much for your feedback. We wholeheartedly apoligize for the incident caused. The problem of that particular room on that day was beause the shower room curtain had been taken off on schedule to be replaced by a new one. Unfortunately, the new curtain was not replaced as it supposed to be. The front desk did her best at the time by refunding money to you, and after we received your feedback we immediately looked into the room and strenghten our procedure by double check the rooms before letting the rooms. We once again thank you very much for your comments, and if you have chance to come to Chiang Mai again, we will be pleased to welcome you as complementary guests at our little guesthouse.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came late at night, and both Nud and Kun were up, enthusiastically welcoming us and helping us lay an itinerary for the days in Chiang Mai. They were really wonderful hosts and we instantly slowed down to vacation mode. Room was nice, clean and private, there were water bottles, internet & relaxing area. Location perfect. Price very reasonable.
If we come back to Chiang Mai we will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple