“Shocking privacy breach at Room 106”
Review of Baan JaJa

Baan JaJa
Ranked #77 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We were elated to find lodging at this positively reviewed place. Front of house staff were warm and helpful; check-in was painless. Facilities were good, as described by most other reviews.

The "peeping Tom" nightmare happened when we returned from the Sunday night market.

My roommate took a shower with the lights on (like anyone would) but remarked upon finishing that it was disturbing how the lowly-placed ventilation window (covered only by wiremesh) left his lower torso in clear line of sight to a facing window of a neighbouring residence.

As a precaution, I decided to shower in the dark, with just a small LED lamp. Midway through my shower, however, the light in that nearby room across the fence came on and dimly illuminated my shower stall -- and me along with it. Although slightly bothered, I dismissed this as mere coincidence until I was shocked to see the outline of someone peering at me over the perimeter wall between my shower room wall and the next door compound -- his/her head would have been barely THREE FEET from me, separated only by a semi-transparent plastic sheet and a low cement wall!

I yelled, he/she quickly disappeared from view, and I grabbed my towel and exited the shower immediately. As it was nearly 11PM, and there was no space for a garden or utility area between the house and fence wall, the intruder was clearly there just to get a closer look at whoever was in the shower.

Since the office was closed and we'd been told the place was fully booked, it seemed no solution was available till morning. Covered in suds, I decided to finish the bath with cold water from the bidet in the separate toilet room.

We slept poorly that night, and I was freaked out that someone living next door to the guesthouse was using guest showers as a peepshow.

Worse, the poor design of the ventilation window (who puts these things at the guest's waist level??) made us wonder if someone had deliberately set this up.

We checked out first thing after breakfast, despite having earlier looked forward to finishing our entire Chiang Mai stay at Baan Nud Kun. The front of house person (I think her name was Cha) listened attentively and seemed genuinely horrified when I walked her through the privacy ordeal I'd experienced. She apologised and would not charge us for the room. She also explained that there should have been curtains (indeed there was a curtain rod over the window, with empty curtain rings), but that housekeeping may have forgotten to replace it in their haste.

Questions remain in my mind as to why the shower windows were built to leave guest privacy so vulnerable. Removable shower curtains, so easily forgotten or conveniently "misplaced", are an unreliable solution, leaving guests at the mercy of the pervert living next door.

If anyone from Baan Nud Kun reads this, I hope to have your public reassurance here that simple renovations will be made to move all ventilation windows higher up -- ABOVE and BEYOND the neighbouring property's line of sight -- so that such an unpleasant intrusion does not happen to any other guests.

P.S. I also took photos of the front of the house where the peeping Tom neighbour apparently resides, and have additional shots of the fence wall portion where he/she was standing. Feel free to contact me for this if you will take further action on the matter.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lluviaypapel
balloon44, Owner at Baan JaJa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience & shocking experience in the room 106 as stated. It was totally our fault and thank you very much for your feedback. We wholeheartedly apoligize for the incident caused. The problem of that particular room on that day was beause the shower room curtain had been taken off on schedule to be replaced by a new one. Unfortunately, the new curtain was not replaced as it supposed to be. The front desk did her best at the time by refunding money to you, and after we received your feedback we immediately looked into the room and strenghten our procedure by double check the rooms before letting the rooms. We once again thank you very much for your comments, and if you have chance to come to Chiang Mai again, we will be pleased to welcome you as complementary guests at our little guesthouse.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came late at night, and both Nud and Kun were up, enthusiastically welcoming us and helping us lay an itinerary for the days in Chiang Mai. They were really wonderful hosts and we instantly slowed down to vacation mode. Room was nice, clean and private, there were water bottles, internet & relaxing area. Location perfect. Price very reasonable.
If we come back to Chiang Mai we will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We found this place after walking around for a while and I'm glad we did. We received a warm welcome (and ended up helping the guys at reception with their English homework :-) and I really liked the place. We stayed in a fan room on the 3rd floor and it wasn't too warm. The room itself was perfectly adequate - no frills but no problems either. They provide breakfast in the morning in the courtyard outside, which also has chairs, hammocks and computers for using the internet. The location is great, very near the Thapae gate. I recommend eating the barbecued fish at the north-eastern Thai restaurant on the other side of the soi a little way towards the Thapae gate too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed at Baan Nud-Kun for 4 nights at a special rate of 600 Baht (as I was a single traveller), which was very reasonable and well within my budget.

The location of Baan Nud-Kun is superb. It is very close to Tapae Gate, but is also away from the madness of the area as the guesthouse is located in a quiet soi off the main street. It was very easy to walk around with a simple map; food and shops were all around (including a small post office) so there was no trouble getting supplies.

Baan Nud-Kun itself is very clean and very quiet. It's probably not ideal for a typical backpacker who would like to meet other people, but ideal for someone who would want peace and quiet after a long day of exploring. Wifi is free, as is 2 complimentary bottles of water in the room. In the common area, there are 2 comfortable hammocks, a fridge, hot water and 2 computers (pay per usage) - effectively equipping the guesthouse with basic necessities.

I loved Baan Nud-Kun and will return one day. It's superb value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The price was affordable at 350 baht for a 3rd floor fan room. The room was spacious, bright and clean with good wifi signal. The common area downstairs was really nice, with hammock, comfy chairs and free tea and coffee. The free bottles of water everyday was a lovely touch.

As we were there in low season, there was no breakfast option, which was a shame as this would've been great. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in Baan Nud-Kun for 7 nights. It's a very clean place. The staff is very nice, helpful and always smiling :) It's a very good location as well, quiet and away from the busy traffic but just two minutes walk to Tapae Gate. I had a fan room on the 3th floor. The room was pretty big with a desk/chair and a clothes cupboard, toilet and hot shower en-suite. And everyday i got two bottles of water!
The common area was cozy with hummocks, free wifi and free coffee :)
Next time when i'm in Chiang Mai, i will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dario393
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Surprise price in September. 250B double pan room. This guesthouse is famous for good service and kind staffs in the Korean trip website. I had stayed for 4 nights. All basical facilities to be needed for guests were provided like 2 bottles for every day, wifi, coffee or serveral tea and so on. Interier of guesthouse and rest place were also good. Above all, the staff was very kind and always smile. So, I had been very happy deep down in the heart during staying there. There was no breakfast because of cool season and lowest roomrate, but had too many merits. I can't find a guesthouse like baannukkun, so I miss there already!

• Stayed: September 2012