“5 days with cooking@home”

Cooking at Home Thai Culinary School
More attraction details
Owner description: Each day, our students are picked up from Chiang Mai and driven to the cookery school. On a typical day our lessons begin with a trip to a local country market, guided by our experienced cooking instructors so that students learn how to select and buy the fresh Thai ingredients that they will need for that day's cooking lesson. For many, this tour of the morning market is an unforgettable experience in itself, leaving them with lasting memories of new sights, sounds and wonderful spicy aromas, as well as a broader knowledge of Thai fruits, vegetables and spices. This experience and new knowledge is especially useful to those who want to impress their friends back home with delicious Thai cuisine. Returning to the delightful semi-rural setting of the cookery school itself, our instructors take students through every stage of the cooking process, until at the end of the session students have the opportunity to taste and eat their creations. Our students learn by doing, not merely watching, so each course is full of activity and fun.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

cooking@home

OM gracious, where do I begin? First of all I want to thank my lucky stars I stumbled upon this school. With a myriad of other schools from which to choose, including one that sounds very similar, I don’t know why I chose this one. It was possibly an intuitive sense having read their website, it would be a good fit for me. I was planning to enroll in a 5 full day course so I wanted it to be right. From the moment I began an email dialogue with Pom, I was immediately impressed with her clear, open communication and could sense her warm, relaxed professionalism. The school is a half hour drive from the old city and I was picked up each morning promptly at 8:30 and driven back later in the afternoon. On our way to the school each morning a stop at a fabulous farmer's food market was an instructive beginning to each incredible day.
The school’s location was the icing on the cake, despite the half hour drive. It was spacious, open, airy, spotlessly clean & in a country side neighborhood backing onto a large green farmer’s field with bird song in the air. Everything about the school was so well organized & so well appointed and at the same time you immediately felt totally “at home” only better. The small number of attending students certainly helped which in turn resulted in quality attention & guidance when required. Pom was a consummate talented English speaking instructor and was assisted by her delightful sister Tak. This dynamic duo provided the best Thai cooking course I could have ever imagined or wanted. I was so impressed with their qualities that I dragged my totally undomestic husband (he can barely boil water) to a dinner class and he had such a terrific time that he booked an additional full day the following week. Since we have returned to Canada we have “together” made a red curry paste from scratch, a PadThai, a papaya salad, & Tom Yum soup. This, with a husband who has never in the past approached the vicinity of a kitchen. We are having such fun. Oh and thats the other thing to mention. Pom & Tak were fun. Great sparkle, warmth & humor.

1  Thank Soulful2013
Thaiculinaryschool, Owner at Cooking at Home Thai Culinary School, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Many thanks for your your kindly comment about the courses. You've created a good job while you were here.

I hope you could re-create wonderful meals again at home and please feel free to write to me if you find any problem.

Bone Appetite :)
Pom & Co.

There are newer reviews for Cooking at Home Thai Culinary School

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I chose cooking@home out of the many culinary school choices because two of my friends used their service and highly recommended them. It was absolutely a fab experience. Tak and Pom were terrific and hospitable. They always do small groups and therefore they can be very attentive to individual needs. The set up is very nice and the surroundings very relaxing as well.

Thaiculinaryschool, Owner at Cooking at Home Thai Culinary School, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you so much for review us comment on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your feedback. And we hope to see you again at our Cooking @ Home.

Kind regards
Vasin & Pom

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I took a full day 0900-1500 class. Pom and Tuk were awesome. our class were only 4 people, so all of us got quite a bit of personal attention. Market shopping with Tuk was fun, as she explained the ingredients, and open to any questions about the market, and all the food it was on sale. Pom conducted the cooking class with great care, precision, and thorough explanation. she is a good teacher. definitely come hungry, since you will be eating all the food that you cooked. later, during the meals, we had some time to chat, and i found out the many of the ingredients used in the class, actually came from her garden outback. i forgot to mention that the class is conducted at her house, with an outdoor covered patio area, which is very refreshing, as you are really cooking outdoors, and in nature. i absolutely thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and environment, and the class definitely inspired me to experiment with thai cooking when i get home. I will highly recommend this class.

1  Thank tissu
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I took a day's cooking class with Pom and her sister Tuk. It was a great experience. We started at the local market, where we were taken around and given very useful explanations of the local produce. Then a drive through the countryside to their cooking school. What a wonderful location, overlooking a field with the mountains beyond.
The cooking demonstration was excellent and it was really well organised. I learnt a lot about Thai cooking, and we were given a recipe book that included all the recipes for the week. I have never tasted such a delicious green curry, even though I made it myself! Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank Lovetravel061
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We went to take a class at cooking at home Thai culinary school and we had the most amazing time. We were fetched at our hotel and taken to a real Thai food market, where we were shown all ingredients, where they came from and how they were mixed. It was a great experience, there was no tourists, only Thai people doing their daily food shopping.
Then we were taken to the school, it's a fantastic place, really big and beautiful view on a rise field. The cooking equipment is all new, you learn how to cook by looking at the teacher and then you taste. You then make your own dishes. We made: pad thai, chicken green curry, won ton soup and for desert sticky rise with mango. DELICIOUS! We ate all the food on a terasse, and were served like kings. It was a great experience and I recommend it 100%. If you're looking to learn how Thai people cook, this is the best place. You also get a cooking book with all the recipes so you can reproduce it at home! Thank you for this amazing time!

1  Thank Emmahidgens