“So good we came back twice!”
Review of Na Thapae Hotel

Na Thapae Hotel
Ranked #322 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We spotted this place on a trip to Chiang Mai last year and thought we'd bear it in mind for our next holiday to Thailand.

We booked and paid for it in advance by credit card - their payment system was very good as we were able to book for 2 stays in the one transaction.

We arrived here in June which is the quiet season. The staff were very helpful and assisted with luggage and our room was superb. They are even happy to keep your luggage if you are planning on returning - ours was waiting in our room for when we came back from Mae Hong Son.

Nice quiet air condiitoning, lovely comfortable bed, TV, fridge and hairdryer in the room. There were also 2 bottles of water replenished each day.

The bathroom was modern and very clean.

Breakfast consisted of eggs, fried, scrambled or omlette with toast and jam and slices of melon. A glass of juice and water came with breakfast.

Throughout the day tea and coffee is left in the brekfast area for you to help yourself to.

They are happy to book a pre-paid taxi to the airport for 200 THB.

If I was to be really critical I would say that breakfast is a little slow but that's only because it is freshly cooked for you.

The location is excellent especially if you are here for the Sunday market.

For the price you'd be mad not to give this a try!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Na Thapae Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2012

The hotel is located in a good location if you are a night bazar lover. it is very close to Thapae gate. the hotel is relatively new and rooms are clean but there are no windows and no outside light, so you dont want to stay the whole day in the room.
The breakfast is not good at all, just a few choices of egg ! fried, scrambled or omlet !
The worst thing about this hotel is its staff and service. they are very cheap people asking us to pay for hotel bills every day ! even one time they asked to pay for the bills at midnight. I had to get my credit card from my room and get back to cashier at the midnight. they charge you for whatever they can , if you are 1 hour late for checkout, you should pay 100 baht penalty. there is no respect for guests.
Also there is noticeable noise in the rooms as rooms doors open to lobby or reception !
also one day they missed to change our towels and put drinking water. but as their service was very poor we didnt bother to even notify them.
in summary the hotel is clean and good location but if you expect a good breakfast and respect avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank FarzadF
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I would highly recommend this place to anyone coming to chiang mai on a budget! Staff are so friendly! Can't do enough for you! Really helpful and everything from the fab rooms to the super fast Internet! We were not disappointed! Great location! No pool but for €30 per night in a deluxe room I wasn't complaining!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Aprile51284
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Very clean, large room. good linen. Handy location in quite soi. Same same breakfast served on the first floor. Not bad value at THB1200. Free Wi Fi but no computers. Beware of hotel commission when ordering a taxi to the airport. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Take a room on the second floor away from breakfast landing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The rooms are comfortably sized but they are not well designed. When I was there, the staff had the guests cooking their own breakfast. The hotel would be better off not offering it at all. There was no one at the breakfast station in the morning at all. They dropped off some white bread and a carton of eggs and said 'go to it' or they would have if they could speak English. In its favor it's quiet and certainly not far from places tourists might want to go. But there is no way that I would return here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Na Thapae is a great little hotel tucked away in a quiet laneway behind a main road near Thapae Gate (gate to the old Chiang Mai city). Rooms are super clean, common areas are simple but effective, while service and breakfast are satisfactory. I would've rated Na Thapae as 'Excellent' if it wasn't for the neighbour's dog across the road which seems to bark on the odd occasion overnight. I'd like to think this doesn't happen every night because it's the only real negative thing I can say about our stay at Na Thapae. It's a great little boutique hotel but, if you're a light sleeper, maybe try elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daz H
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I would give this hotel an excellent if it wasn't for my negative experience with the manager.

On our first night there was a dog just across the lane that was constantly barking. The next morning I asked to be moved to a room in the back (further from the dog). The manager said "no, the dog doesn't always bark". She then turned around and walked away. I approached her later in the day and she informed me that the hotel was expecting many guests and she could not move me. I accepted that explanation.The hotel was virtually empty at that time though.

The next night, I was awoken at 11.30pm by the dog, went downstairs and asked the owner if I could please be moved. The owner obliged and we were moved to another room. A bit frustrating to have to deal with a room switch in the middle of the night. The many "expected guests" never did show up.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends