“Budget boutique in a prime location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Na Thapae Hotel

Na Thapae Hotel
Ranked #209 of 711 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Budget boutique in a prime location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

As the title states, boutique feel on a budget price tag
Great looking hotel on a quiet soi opposite Thapae gate in the old town be sure to turn left out the hotel, right then immediate left down thecentry to pop out in la khroi road near chez marco restaurant and for night bazar
Rooms were great, large with massive beds good tv and basic bathroom
The staff who runnthe hotel Areca family of four of the nicest sweetest Thai women I have ever met and really instil your faith in the Thai people not that you need to be, just that there is only so much suit selling, dodgy tuktuk and scams going on over there by people who at first glance, seem genuine
The rooms were spotless and serviced every day, the staff won't come in your room with shoes on and scrub the place till it's gleaming
Every time I walked in the staff would get out their seats and way to me, I felt like royalty
I would stay here for the feel and location and also the price
Negatives were the breakfast it was an egg bar, omelette fried or scrambled great if you like that but I am very carnivorous
My bathrooms was bare walled, like plaster and I assumed that the place was being refurbed until I seen some Thais check in on my last day to a beautifully tiles bathroom which annoyed me as I had booked and paid last year so thought I should have had a better room, maybe cos I was a foreigner, maybe cos I should have complained but the staff really are that nice I couldn't bring myself to do it
Each floor has an open air seating area which is beautiful and rooms have air con which is a but tired and noisy to be fair but these are minor gripes in a great cheap boutique hotel, would have been happy at twicevthe price very peaceful no partiers or backpackers would be good for kids the place even has signs up to take your shoes off if they make too much noise, in a nice way

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Biggie81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

The room quality is reflected in the price. It's a bit more expensive then many of the other hotels around Chaing Mai but the building including the rooms and bathrooms were brilliant. Very clean all the time, so much so I felt guilt walking to my room with shoes on and often took them off. Breakfast was brilliant. The only fault I have was with the Staff, they seemed to look down on us like we were an inconvience, then when we left they tried to charge us for lots of silly things. They first said we had to pay for 4 towels because they were too mucky to clean, however after I asked to see the towels they quickly took the charge off our bill. Eventually we only had to pay for one hand towel because apparently there was mud on it...but they wouldn't show us this either. I would recommend staying here, just try and stay as clean as the hotel.

Room Tip: They replace the free drinking water so take advantage
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoannaEngland
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed here for two nights at $50 AUS a night. The girls working the hotel were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help out (even dragging my heavy luggage up the stairs). The rooms are very large and comfortable. Breakfast was good and quick. My taxi driver had no problem finding it. They were buidling a house over the road at the time of my vist, so taking a nap in the afternoon proved difficult.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank OzTraveller88
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

This hotel is pleasure to stay at. I found the staff very nice. The facilities were good. Any request was met with a happy smile. Good location to everything and only a short walk to the night market. VERY recommend this hotel to all who wants a relaxing staying.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enrico05
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have stayed in a lot of hotels arond the world. This small boutique hotel is pleasure to stay at. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The facilities were first class. Any request was met with a happy smile. Good location to everything and only a short walk to the night market. A good thing is the hotel is in a very quiet street ,so a very restful time can be had by all. I would not hesitate to stay again and also recommend this hotel to friends

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Very beautiful in website but the real is difference., Clean and quietly. Should high light "There is Boutique Hotel" not just only Hotel. Hospitality and helpful receptionist.
You have to pay for room charge on check in date.
1,500 THB is still high for just Boutique Hotel

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

Na Thapae was a little hard to find for the tuk-tuk driver who brought us here, but he did make the effort to ask around and kept looking until he found it. It is on Thapae Soi 6, a reasonable way down the soi from the main road, so that's what confused him. If you're heading from Thapae Road, you actually pass the immHotel Thapae on your right and continue down soi 6 for a short while after that.
The hotel itself was very pleasant, although it's a little dearer than some of the budget hotels around Chiang Mai, anyone looking for a bit of "bang for their buck" in the circa-A$40 price range should be happy with this place. The hotel itself seemed pretty new, and the rooms were clean. There was a good choice of Cable TV channels, and although there were no internet teminals, I believe they provide complimentary wireless internet. I had a bit of an emergency and needed to use the internet, in which case they allowed me to use their laptop.
Parking is limited, you can park your scooter here, and perhaps a Honda Jazz/Toyota Yaris, but anything bigger will need to be parked on the street, which is not really a problem because this soi doesn't see a huge amount of traffic.
There is no elevator at this hotel, but this wasn't a problem for me, and the hotel was within walking distance of Moon Muang Road and Thapae Gate. The night market is also walking distance (a little further but still OK), if you continue south down the soi (away from Thapae Road) you can turn left at the end and find your way to Loi Kroh Road, which leads down to the night market area.
Breakfast was good, albeit limited. From memory they had a printed menu with various options for how I'd like my eggs cooked, and the girl attending to the "kitchen" didn't speak English too well. Nevertheless she made me a nice omelette, and was friendly and humble like most of the real, genuinely friendly people in Chiang Mai.
I can't complain about Na Thapae, although personally it is stretching my budget a little, it is great value for money by western standards. If I wanted a dependable, clean, quiet place to stay that was more than just a basic hotel, I'd certainly stay here again. The only downside was that the airconditioning was switched off when I left the room (electricity activated by room key from what I can remember) but when I complained about this (it was the middle of summer!), staff put a spare into the activation slot so that the aircon would stay on for me.
Thanks also to the staff who were accommodating, friendly, and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2010