“Good location and cheap”

Key Hotel @ Old City Center
Ranked #319 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed in the private room with A/C for one week and the room was decent. The mattress of the bed was not good, but considering the cost of the room was so cheap, I didn't complain about it. The guesthouse is in a great location, and in walking distance to all the major sights within the city. The area is very laid back, and gets quiet at night. Also, the staff at reception are helpful and gave me advice on different restaurants and sights around town. The price at TK guesthouse is great, which is the main selling point for backpackers staying in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in tk guesthouse for 5 nights, the owner Doh and the girl who does the travelagency Noi are very hospitable and friendly. They know everything around town and give you honest advice and suggestions. After a trip or excursion they asked how my day was; they really make you feel like home which i think is very special. Cheap and good guesthouse, near all restaurants, markets and bars, definitly come back here!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 23, 2013

TK Guesthouse is perfect for backpackers, looking for a cheap and easy place to stay in Chang Mai. Great Central location, a few minutes walk from the Gate and Square. It's nothing fancy, but it is perfect for a group of people travelling, with big communal rooms.

TK is the name of the man who runs the place, he is one of the nicest and most helpful people you are likely to meet on any trip, and he is a local travel agent too, so he has tickets and contacts for anything you might want to do in Chang Mai.

He taxied us around for four days FREE OF CHARGE! he collected us from the bus depot, collected a friend from the airport who wasn't even staying with us, brought us to the Tiger Temple, organised our whole trekking trip ( for 1000 baht in total! - including four meals, travel, anda trip to the butterfly farm) He gave us great advise on where to go clubbing and dining.

On one of the nights that we were there - It was an election day, so no Alcohol was allowed to be sold or drank. TK told us a day in advance and allowed us to drink in his place that night.

He also hires a police man to stop by a few times every night, to make sure everything is going ok in the guesthouse.

There is a small, newsagent type shop directly across the street that stays open late, and has plenty of bits and pieces.

The weekend street market is a must. The streets are packed with stalls, music and great street food. It was so big that we walked around it the whole night and still did not get to see everything.

Room Tip: The street is no too noisy at night but is still a nice busy sight. The front rooms have balconies...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LukeMG M
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm baffled by all the high ratings here. I spent one night and moved over to Nat Len Boutique Guest House -- a bit spendier but way, way better.

There's nothing really wrong with TK, but there's nothing special about it except forthe 300 baht rate fora fan room. The room was reasonably clean, although the curtains hadn't been washed in a long time. The wall mounted fan was broken, so they'd put in a pedestal fan. That was broken as well; the fan worked but you couldn't change it from swing (which I didn't want) to stationary (which I did.

The big woman who seems to rule the restaurant was quite a bit less than friendly, although the young woman at reception was pleasant enough. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at TK Guest House my first five days in Chiang Mai, and I enjoyed it so much that I booked a room for my last three weeks of vacation, too! The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable with a private bathroom and hot water for showers. (I do not know about the dormitory downstairs.) Prices are great for a private room, too! The staff is friendly and helpful, too, and if you are an English-speaker you'll get on just fine. *Note* tuk tuk drivers DO NOT know where Tk Guest House is, even though it is surrounded by more well-known guest houses. I have never met a driver who can find this place- even when I give him the address. It's super frustrating. The easiest thing is to tell them it is near "Julie's", (say: Ju-LEE) which most of them know, and it is just a block or so down from there.

The Guest House is located near tons of other popular guest houses and it is really easy to get around from here. The Night Bazaar is just a 15 minute walk, Saturday Walking Street market is maybe 10 minutes, and the Sunday Walking Street market (the best one) is only five minutes away. I love being so close to everything and it is easy to rent a bicycle or motorcycle or grab a tuk tuk to get around if you don't want to walk.

As a single woman travelling solo I have always felt safe and secure here. The gate is locked at 7 p.m., and things are pretty quiet around here most of the time. The one thing I'd like to see is a way to lock the screens on the windows so I don't have to close and lock my window whenever I leave and trap in all the heat. Simple dowels in the tracks would do fine.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for something not on the street. Keep in mind, though, that you'...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anna R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Me and a friend travelled Thailand for a month in February 2013 and Chiang Mai was our favourite destination, which was mostly helped by the team at TK Gueshouse! From arrival the welcome was excellent and the rooms very clean, with a nice bed and hot shower. I can not fault the room at all.

The team helped us book our tours/trips at a competitive price and were very informative about which trips to choose (not always going for the most expensive).

If I was to come back to Chiang Mai (sometime in 2014) then I will be requesting a room at the TK Guest House for the duration of my stay.

Lovely people, great location and I will be back......

Aaron

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aaron K
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013 and were not disappointed.

As two solo travellers staying together, we both agreed that this was easily one of the best guesthouses in our combined 8months worth of travel in SEA.

The price is reasonable, the bed comfy, the rooms clean, the shower hot, and the staff are amazing. The place is very secure! The owner is incredibly friendly and speaks amazing English. He is always willing to help out and give advice.

We booked a trek through this guesthouse and they did not disappoint. They were more than happy to keep our luggage secure while we were away.

I will definately return to this place when I am back in CM. Great value for a backpacker!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends