Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews helpful owners old city great stay great guest house location is great small balcony quiet at night comfy bed wifi thai laundry alley moat
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our stay would not have been the same if it wasn't for Ow and Lachie, the owners. The place is great, very clean, has a good location and they do everything to make you feel home, helping with the tours or any kind of information. Wifi worked perfectly as well as the air conditioning. And, differently from other reviewers, we don't mind about switching off the air conditioner while we are out or artistic nude paintings in the bathroom (hello??). We really loved it.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
534Algy, Manager at The Britannia, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed yourselves

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Pros: Clean with strong air conditioning and a comfortable bed.
Good service

Cons:
1) WiFi: We could not get wifi in the room as advertised. Even after rebooting the system, it didn't work.
2) Price: There are other hotels for the same price in a better location with wifi.
3) Art: There's a large tile photograph of a naked Asian lady in the bathroom. It is so detailed you can see imperfections in the areola. This is not necessarily a con, as it may make the bathroom experience more enjoyable for half the population.
4) Mosquitos: Mosquitos were all over the lobby.
5) The TV channels were fuzzy.
6) A pigeon conference woke me up outside my window at 5am.
7) The walls and doors are thin. You can hear everything.
8) The toilet doesn't flush toilet paper.
9) They charge you for leaving your airconditioner on, if you are not in the room.

Room tip: Probably ought to choose elsewhere.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank howcha79
534Algy, Manager at The Britannia, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Always good to know the good and the bad. However some of the cons you have listed need addressing and while there are elements of truth in each of them, I question why you would have bothered to raise most of them.

(1) Our WiFi is in constant working order in all rooms of the house but experience has taught me that not all devices connect all of the time. Our ISP advises a reboot of wireless routers and repeaters if a problem is apparent. There was no such problem during the short time you stayed with us. Your travelling companion 'lilorchid' was advised before you arrived, that our wireless service is not intended for communications of a critical nature and suited only for guests wishing to stay in touch with friends and family and browsing of a non essential nature (that is why it is free). You chose to make it a critical part of your stay despite advice to the contrary. There was an available computer to use free of charge should you have needed it. You did not ask to use it.

(2) Our prices are compatible with other Guest Houses with free WiFi and if you care to look at the previous reviews, other guests have found the location of the Britannia Guest house suitable for their purposes.

(3) The artwork that you found to be imperfect in detail quality was part of the original building fit out and while I agree it is of dubious quality and nature, does not ordinarily raise comment from guests. Time and renovations will eventually see them disappear.

(4) The Chiang Mai city authorities carry out regular mosquito eradication activities. Nevertheless there are always mosquitos present in public areas night and morning as is normal for this location and climate. Britannia Guest House does not harbour infestations of mosquitos and you may have observed that your room was equipped with mosquito screens as all rooms are.

(5) TV channels are indeed somewhat fuzzy and vary from channel to channel but for the most part are viewable.

(6) The Pigeons are outside of our purview I regret to say, but they have not previously attracted adverse comment. Rest assured if regular complaints were forthcoming we would be seeking to do something about it.

(7) The type of materials and methods of construction used in buildings of this type is very common. It is therefore not as quiet and private as one would expect when staying at say, a quality hotel with star ratings. The Britannia Guest house is a budget accommodation intended for visitors seeking to travel economically and at the same time enjoy a reasonable degree of comfort, cleanliness and safety.

(8) It is possible to flush toilet paper but due to limitations in sanitary waste matter (as in most of Thailand), it is not customary to flush toilet paper or other items. That is why washing devices are present in all bathrooms.

(9) Notices are present to encourage guests not to leave air conditioners operating when absent from their rooms. Electricity is a finite resource and expensive as a consumer item in Thailand. Thankfully it has not been necessary for us to apply an extra charge.

Your comments are somewhat disingenuous and I am not altogether satisfied they were intended to assist future guests make a balanced decision on where and how they will accommodate themselves.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Owners run a tight ship at this budget hotel.

Prices are very reasonable and a deposit is requested through PayPal before you arrive. You must turn off the a/c when you leave for the day or there will be a small charge. Hotel provides laundry service at a fair price.

Wifi was a problem. Though free, I was unable to connect in my room...or when I stood immediately underneath the router on the 2nd floor. The owner even restarted the modem to no avail.

Mosquitoes were abundant downstairs, and natural repellent was sold at the front desk. This is a problem almost everywhere in the city. Amazingly, citronella kept the mosquitoes from the guest rooms.

Only hotel I stayed at that did not provide water. Maybe this was an oversight. And...Hello, mural of naked woman staring at me as I thoughtfully sat! I found the extra bathroom perk amusing, my husband seemed rather delighted. It distracted him from the fact that there was no shower curtain (bathroom setup was the familiar shower head immediate to toilet), which he normally complains loudly about.

Bottom line: Naked lady mural fails to distract me from the fact that we had poor wifi during our one night stay. It's a fine hotel, but I will be looking elsewhere when I return to Chiang Mai.

Date of stay: December 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilorchid82
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for several nights and we really enjoyed it. The rooms were nice and very cosy and clean. The owners were really friendly and really helpful. They were also incredibly helpful in organising tours and tuk-tuks to where we wanted to go. They also ensured that the tours picked us up and they were keen to see how the tours went. The prices were very good. Location was also excellent. I would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank Gelley11
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Feel very lucky to have finally found a place in CM that's great value for money, in a fab location and run by lovely people. Everything about this place was wonderful and we'll definitely be staying here again. Thank you!

Room tip: Ask for a balcony!
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
534Algy, Manager at The Britannia, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Great to have you stay. Look forward to seeing you again