Furama Chiang Mai
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
$110
$48
$40
$44
$31
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
$502
$456
Anantara.com
$38
$36
All reviewsrooftop restaurantmaya mallhuay kaew roadrooms are hugefront office staffbedroom suiteold citypoolsxanaduchiangsauna
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I've stayed here twice. Last stay seemed good value for money. This time not so much.

Issues:

Air conditioning was broken in the room i was checked into. The front desk appear to have lied to me saying the hotel was fully booked. So i could not change room. Later on they showed me a number of empty rooms which they offered me to move to. One had the shower door missing which didnt look very luxurious! Several others also appeared to have problems with the air conditioning.

Eventually i was moved to a room with working air conditioning.

Also as far as i can tell from agoda i booked a double room but only a twin was available.

The staff at Furama seem, on the whole to be very helpful, and pleasant. However i got the impression on both stays that there are systemic problems with the maintenance of the rooms, and that issues are not tackled seriously enough.

Other than the air conditioning another example is that the internet cable in my room was broken, rather than remove it to repair it, they simply put it aside for the next customer to have problems with, whilst giving me a very long temporary cable.The hotel needs to be more proactive in resolving issues. Across the two stays i also had problems with blocked drains, faulty jacquizi bath pump and faulty kettle lid.

If you end up trapsing round a hotel trying to find a functioning room then you are wasting your time a bit!!

I was offered complimentary meals because of the problems with Air Conditioning, which was kind of the duty manager. But the food is really very very poor. They seem to emphsize quantity more than quality. The Thai dishes we had in the evening were really lame, which is very unusual in Thailand as the food is good almost everywhere! Breakfast was also a total dissapointment and i would recommend you avoid at all cost!

McDonalds in Thapae do an excellent breakfast at a third of the cost!!

To summarise, i would say that top level management at the hotel need to make some fundamental changes. Stop wasting tons of food producing rubbish dishes. Get on top of the problems with fittings in the rooms. The rates at Furama arent that cheap so there must be some spare revenue to fix these issues.

On the upside, the rooms at Furama are big, the general standards of cleanliness and service are very good. The location is ok, but you really need your own transport to stay there.

The pool looked a bit dirty so we didnt bother going in.

In summary, Furama Chiang Mai is nearly a very nice hotel to stay at, if only the management would tackle a few fundamental problems.

The duty managers on the other hand did everything they could to improve things. The top level management need to make the changes.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chazontour
Reviewed March 6, 2011

When we first saw our deluxe room, I thought wow, what an awesome room! Certainly worth $40 usd per night and I will definitely go back there again.

Positives:
Room: Very clean, comfortable bed, clean toilet and shower, no smell, good view and balcony.
Service: Very good.
Location: It's a bit out of the city but you can easily get a 'Songthaew' into the city for 20-30 Baht and personally, I prefer to sleep somewhere away from the nightlife.

Negatives:
Can't recall any.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChookyD
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I love the room, it is incredibly spacious and the bed is comfy! Overall the hotel is pleasantly presentable with courteous and helpful staff, and good value for money. Wifi is only available at public areas so that caused a bit of inconvenience having to carry my laptop up and down. Good thing is that it is absolutely free of charge.

Location-wise is a bit out of the way, where the main entrance leads to the Super Highway; but there is a shortcut through Heritage Cafe through Hillside Plaza and Condotel to Huay Kaew Road which I only discovered on the 3rd day of my stay. Silly me!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank FX_Harvest
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Furama is a very typically Asian hotel and its aimed at Asians too. Its primarily a business hotel and caters for large conferences and parties. This meant that occassionally the pools and certain restaurants were off limits when a large conference or party had arrived. Also the noise from these gatherings echoes and can be heard all over the hotel. However the hotel itself is huge - the lobby has a very grandious style with fantastically high ceilings. The rooms themselves are massive and incredibly spacious. There are 2 swimming pools - a smaller one of the 5th floor and a larger one on the top floor, 17th. There are 3 restaurants in the hotel - The Heritage Cafe for the breakfast buffet, Xanada for evening thai meals and The Grill serving slightly more expensive Eurasian fare. On first impressions the hotel is fantastic and actually I was quite impressed.

On closer inspection the cracks started to show. Outside of the lobby the hotel is actually quite shabby and in need of a good clean. There are stained and old carpets on each floor and the furniture in the bedrooms is outdated and worn. The bathrooms are quite old and need a good scrub. The balcony was convered in pigeon poo and we were unable to go out there. The lifts/elevators take forever to arrive so if you're in a rush it's probably best to run down the stairs! They also have an annoying key card system for the lifts where each person in the lift has to insert their room key before the lift will go anywhere - urrgghh!!There are jacuzzi's and steam rooms located on the 5th floor however when we tried to use them we couldn't get them to work. After calling the hotel staff and they checked them out they confirmed that they didn't really work. Useless. There is a jacuzzi bath in the bedrooms but this was quite rubbish and just made a mess. Oh and if you don't like lizards then I probably wouldn't stay here - we had a cute little lizard friend camp out in our bathroom for the duration of our stay, I personally don't mind them but if you do then just be warned!

The standard of english spoken by the staff is quite poor. I've travelled to Asia many times before so I understand that not everyone speaks english but a hotel should be able to employ at least one member of staff who speaks basic english for foreign guests. This issue became quite annoying during our stay for example - I asked 3 times over the span of 3 days for an iron and an ironing board. the first time the receptionist told me the hotel did not have any (really??!!) the second and third time they just didn't understand what I was saying and put the phone down. We also had mystery items brought to the room in an attempt to please us - air freshener, bathrobes and a bottle opener...

The location of the hotel is quite poor. It's right next to a main road which is a death trap to cross and there's no pavement! There's not a lot around - not even a 7-11! Chiang Mai itself is not known for having a great deal to do however there are a lot of really good tours. Furama actually has an inhouse tour guide who can sell you various tours at quite good prices. However be warned - this tour lady is quite pushy and she latched on to us in an instant. We even got a call at 7am on Christmas morning from a receptionist trying to persuade us to go on one of her tours for that day - I was not impressed to say the least!

Anyway Furama is ok for a stop-over hotel, it worked out at about 25GBP/25-30 Euros a night to stay there so I was too disappointed with the price. You can take a tuktuk or taxi to the nearby strip where there are more restaurants, bars, Muay Thai stadium and shops. We took a 30 minute tuktuk to tiger Kingdom where you can pay to have 15 minutes to go into different tiger enclosures and cuddle the tigers! We also went on a day trip and got to ride elephants and go river rafting. So if you do the tours in chiang mai it's safe to say you wont be bored!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheLittleWelsh
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I loved all of it, from the beautiful breakfasts, helpful staff and great roof top restaurant. loved it

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple