“An Oasis of Calm” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 373 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Avoca Beach, Australia
“An Oasis of Calm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We used this hotel for a nite of luxe before flying to Laos the next afternoon. I have preferred to stay in the Thapae Gate area when in Chiang Mai.
This Hotel has changed my mind. We were ushered inside out of the rain into a calm luxury by friendly well spoken staff who then whisked us effortlessly off to our basic suite where we had every convenience available and a high standard of comfort.
The food and wine we ordered for dinner by the pool terrace bar were delicious, breakfast was amazing. Given how much I love spending time in Chiang Mai I can see this hotel becoming part of my itinerary.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you are a sucker for old, colonial, boutique resort, this is the one for you. The building's architecture is what draws me here. I love the french doors and colonial stairs. They even have an old vintage Mercedes Benz to pick you up from the airport. Rooms are very spacious and super clean. Toilet is big and modern. Lightings in bedroom and toilet are a bit dim though. Get the rooms facing the pool with balconies. Those facing the road are noisy for sleeping at nite. Breakfast is order anything you want from the menu. Good food! Beautiful quiet pool that never has anyone in it. So you can have the privacy and quiet all by yourself. Get the top floor, level 3 for a nice view of the pool. Like other reviewers said, service is not on par with the beauty. Don't expect Raffles Hotel service. Staff are not rude. They are just there when you need them, that's all. Otherwise, don't expect proactive service from them. Basically, stay here for it's old charm. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: get the rooms with balconies facing the pool. get the highest floor, level 3. avoid rooms facing the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ottawa,ont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

There staff are not friendly. Our room had a bad odour ( sewage )the staff lighted a candle but that did not help. We had ants they came up and sprayed but they came back in a few hours. We wanted to have the afternoon tea no one knew where it was served a they sent us on a wild goose chase the result in them giving us some stall sandwiches and some cookie that tasted like gas. The saving grave is the tour operator in the lobby he was friendly and we booked two tour with him that were fabulous. We also booked there car and they driver didn't speak English and took us to the airport when we had book a train cause a lot of stress because we then worried we might miss our train ( a big part of our experience in thailand)

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank nonbusinesstraveller
ChairatPingNakara, Owner at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

This review arrived very late (the staying date stated in the review is during February--8 months ago) so it was difficult for us to retrace what really happened.

Since opening, over 95% of our guests' review (include our satisfaction survey) commented that our staff are friendly or very friendly, so we are not certain what is the issue for our guest. As we are a small hotel, all the staff know that the afternoon tea is only served in the veranda or restaurant, so we are quite confused to read that they don't know where to serve. It is our procedure for front desk staff to instruct drivers by paper document for guests transportation. Since it was so long ago, we cannot find out whether our guest used tour company or hotel service for transportation, however we apologize if there was any confusion about the guest transfer.

We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. In any event, we thank you for the comments , and will be more aware of these issues in the coming days.

Kind regards,
Chairat
shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel has been likened to a miniature Raffles. Personally, I couldn't disagree more, it is much better! I do believe that Raffles has become a caricature if itself.

Ping Nakara is a beautiful colonial style property, a short walk from the centre of town. I would describe the service as classically elegant, certainly not brash or false.

The rooms are delightfully quirky, beautifully furnished and elegant. The pool area, library and lounges are also great.

Breakfast is a choice of cooked, cereal and pastries with continental meats & cheeses. If there's nothing you like here, you must be incredibly fussy.

I can also fully recommend the spar treatments.

If you are looking for a homogenised hotel, stay at the Chedi or Le Meridian but, if you are looking for colonial tranquility, this is the place.

Very highly recommended

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We got married there and they really helped us to have everything perfect (still had to push them to get all as we wanted but the result was outstanding).
Location, food, rooms are all excellent.
The breakfast alone is worth the detour, and we will definitely book there again.

Room Tip: colonial style Grande Deluxe room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Supasaiyajin
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Ping Nakara has been the most outstanding hotel experience. From the moment we were greeted at the airport and had a ride in the vintage Mercedes the standard was set. The ambience, attention to every detail and kind attitude of the staff was consistent across our 4 days here. I loved the swimming pool, which is an infinity edge pool. In particular I enjoyed that it is half shade by the late afternoon enabling me to keep out of the direct sun whilst swimming.

The restaurant provided great food and at surprisingly reasonable prices. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there on one day as it was just so lovely. The breakfast is plentiful. The menu provides all that most people would want but has more Asian offerings than European.

The common areas are stunning. In no way do you feel you need to be confined to your room. The library is luxurious as is the verandah areas with a chess game, antique fans and comfortable seating to while away a lazy afternoon.

The room is well appointed. The bed was a king sized, super comfortable bed. The nightly turn down service added that extra something including plug in mosquito repellent in the event that one gets in.. One never did in our stay! The room had a lovely balcony and good mood lighting. The free mini bar was a real treat! Not good for the diet though as the snacks are all not diet friendly! Some nuts / sultana mix type snacks would have been even better. Our room didn't have a couch (we were in room 301) so that was the only element that meant you had to lie on the bed to watch tv.

The hotel is in a great location, nice and close to the night bizarre and tucked away in a quiet spot. The rooms are designed to face away from the road, as is the pool, restaurant and common areas. The WiFi is excellent and covers the whole site. One issue we had was dealt with swiftly and the fix was communicated immediately to us. Amazing service!

As you can see, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Do yourself a favour and drop the big name hotels and try Ping Nakara. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maurice C
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Amongst other cities visited in Thailand, Chiang Mai is my best with lots of charms and its people. Staying at Ping Nakara is surely a great addition for the choice.

While seeing great reviews here, I confirmed my decision was totally right as soon as I was welcomed by hotel staff at the airport who came to pick me up by classy Mercedes car.

I love everything here...cozy atmosphere, beautiful design, classic furnishings and warm hospitality. I was assigned a room in the 3rd floor facing green trees (not the public road). It is a uniquely setup room where you find bathroom just after you enter the room, which should be totally fine for someone like me traveling solo. Amenities are properly arranged, I enjoyed local-branded fruit juice from free mini-bar. And coconut candies..it is dangerous as I can't stop!

Additionally I enjoyed Nakara Spa offering great selections of Ayurvedic treatment, where I had different treatments every day during my stay. I would say that the staffs are quite professional and all treatment are nicely designed.

Most of my time was occupied by outside activities, but I tried to enjoy the most at the hotel. Dining nearby pool area is quite comfortable, I am big fan of your Khao Soi. Breakfast is perfect for me, buffet and selections in the menu are just right. Unfortunately no chance to try your another restaurant outside, I saw the signboard saying it was closed. Professional support at the travel desk.

Some humble suggestions from me...
* Request for a dustbin in sink area. I found a bit awkward to bring dust to the main room. It doesn't have to be a big one, just small one is fine. I believe you have enough space! (I saw some other guest pointed this out before)
* Improvement for a space to eat in room
It was a bit difficult to find a comfortable way to have in-room dining. Writing desk is fine, but the chair is quite heavy to move and always drag the beautiful carpet. Eating facing to the boring wall is a bit sad... I see other hotels bring good by portable cart which can be stretched into a table. Not sure how many guests are using in-room services at your hotel, however this is something to consider. Also a nice little stool would be good to have. Which can be used to place clothes etc., in bathroom area.

Here I would like to thank all Ping Nakara team for taking good care of me. Remembering my stay whenever seeing your souvenir...little elephant!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo