“Indulgence”

Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ping Nakara has been the most outstanding hotel experience. From the moment we were greeted at the airport and had a ride in the vintage Mercedes the standard was set. The ambience, attention to every detail and kind attitude of the staff was consistent across our 4 days here. I loved the swimming pool, which is an infinity edge pool. In particular I enjoyed that it is half shade by the late afternoon enabling me to keep out of the direct sun whilst swimming.

The restaurant provided great food and at surprisingly reasonable prices. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there on one day as it was just so lovely. The breakfast is plentiful. The menu provides all that most people would want but has more Asian offerings than European.

The common areas are stunning. In no way do you feel you need to be confined to your room. The library is luxurious as is the verandah areas with a chess game, antique fans and comfortable seating to while away a lazy afternoon.

The room is well appointed. The bed was a king sized, super comfortable bed. The nightly turn down service added that extra something including plug in mosquito repellent in the event that one gets in.. One never did in our stay! The room had a lovely balcony and good mood lighting. The free mini bar was a real treat! Not good for the diet though as the snacks are all not diet friendly! Some nuts / sultana mix type snacks would have been even better. Our room didn't have a couch (we were in room 301) so that was the only element that meant you had to lie on the bed to watch tv.

The hotel is in a great location, nice and close to the night bizarre and tucked away in a quiet spot. The rooms are designed to face away from the road, as is the pool, restaurant and common areas. The WiFi is excellent and covers the whole site. One issue we had was dealt with swiftly and the fix was communicated immediately to us. Amazing service!

As you can see, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Do yourself a favour and drop the big name hotels and try Ping Nakara. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maurice C

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Amongst other cities visited in Thailand, Chiang Mai is my best with lots of charms and its people. Staying at Ping Nakara is surely a great addition for the choice.

While seeing great reviews here, I confirmed my decision was totally right as soon as I was welcomed by hotel staff at the airport who came to pick me up by classy Mercedes car.

I love everything here...cozy atmosphere, beautiful design, classic furnishings and warm hospitality. I was assigned a room in the 3rd floor facing green trees (not the public road). It is a uniquely setup room where you find bathroom just after you enter the room, which should be totally fine for someone like me traveling solo. Amenities are properly arranged, I enjoyed local-branded fruit juice from free mini-bar. And coconut candies..it is dangerous as I can't stop!

Additionally I enjoyed Nakara Spa offering great selections of Ayurvedic treatment, where I had different treatments every day during my stay. I would say that the staffs are quite professional and all treatment are nicely designed.

Most of my time was occupied by outside activities, but I tried to enjoy the most at the hotel. Dining nearby pool area is quite comfortable, I am big fan of your Khao Soi. Breakfast is perfect for me, buffet and selections in the menu are just right. Unfortunately no chance to try your another restaurant outside, I saw the signboard saying it was closed. Professional support at the travel desk.

Some humble suggestions from me...
* Request for a dustbin in sink area. I found a bit awkward to bring dust to the main room. It doesn't have to be a big one, just small one is fine. I believe you have enough space! (I saw some other guest pointed this out before)
* Improvement for a space to eat in room
It was a bit difficult to find a comfortable way to have in-room dining. Writing desk is fine, but the chair is quite heavy to move and always drag the beautiful carpet. Eating facing to the boring wall is a bit sad... I see other hotels bring good by portable cart which can be stretched into a table. Not sure how many guests are using in-room services at your hotel, however this is something to consider. Also a nice little stool would be good to have. Which can be used to place clothes etc., in bathroom area.

Here I would like to thank all Ping Nakara team for taking good care of me. Remembering my stay whenever seeing your souvenir...little elephant!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Elegant white colonial style building. The pleasant perfume in hotel really creates the atmosphere. I admire every little details there, perfectly beautiful. And also Nakara Jardin, secret garden by Ping river, is one of a nice place to spend afternoon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chontira L
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have no complaints. The room was spacious and beautiful. The pool cool and refreshing. The restaurant lovely with a most gracious waitress (who spoke a bit of English). The spa amazing. The entire staff as gracious as can be. I'd go back for sure if I ever returned to Chiang Mai. You can't go wrong if you stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel__Lover
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This boutique hotel was fabulous in every way- excellent service, comfortable and plush beds, wonderful infinity pool, small but excellent restaurant, terrific spa and massage! We loved it. They accommodated our every need!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Chose this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor. Wanted to try out the 'Boutiques' on this trip.
Booked directly with the hotel on this occasion as they offer a package called Return to Elegance - free return transfers to and from the airport, a deluxe room with breakfast,free mini-bar and a 15% discount on treatments at their spa.

The good points:

1. Met at the airport late at night and taken to the hotel in the vintage Mercedes - a nice touch
2. A really nice size pool in the middle of the property.
3. Free mini-bar (only 1 can of beer and several soft drinks) - but re-supplied often by the very efficient house-keeping staff who seem to come into the room 2 or 3 times a day. They even provide a turn-down service and put orchids on your pillow.
4. Very quiet location - but close enough to the night market area (about 10 minutes on foot)
5. Two for the price of one drinks menu offered to guests between 17.30 - 19.00 (wine for 90 baht a glass with the offer)
6. Helpful staff - especially the lady at the travel desk who sorted out our daytrip and one of the restaurant staff (Vismit?) who brought us mosquito wipes and sprays when we ate near the pool
7.Pillow menu is a nice extra in the rooms
8. The hot food breakfast menu - especially the Thai options - all cooked to order and offering a different experience.
9. Water - I have never had so much water - left in the bathrooms, in the mini-bar, next to the bed, around the pool!
10. The quality of the towels - a lovely smell!
11. A nice spa (see point 6 below)

The disappointing points

1. It took 10 minutes for the staff to open the door of our room when we arrived (210) and we continued to have problems throughout our stay. There seems to be a real problem in this room with warped wood - none of the doors close smoothly - they need to be filed down or replaced.The same was true for the cabinet housing the safe deposit box and the wardrobe!
2. The shower/toilet set up leaves a lot to be desired. A sliding glass door serves the toilet and shower in this room...leaving one or other open to view at all times.Also the fixtures and fittings were very ordinary.
3. There was only 1 trash can in the bedroom (nothing in the bathroom)
4. The cold food/juice and bread selection offered for breakfast was exactly the same for the three mornings we ate - some sort of variety in a hotel of this class would be nice
5. There are only 8 seats offered inside at the restaurant. This means that you may be disappointed if you wish to sit inside to keep away from the mosquitoes.
6. The 15% discount was not offered on spa treatments.(if they are promotions)...even to guests booking the special package.

A nice hotel in a colonial style if you are looking for a quieter,smaller option.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are nice - some look directly down onto the pool and some might offer a view of t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank aichii
ChairatPingNakara, Owner at Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words and thorough comments about your stay with us. We will complement our staff for their dedication.
Regarding the few things that you thought needed improvement; I also thank you very much. Our doors and the locks are all antique reproduction and so we do have some aging that we have to contend with. The lock on your door is one example.
As the hotel is quite small, we attempt to offer a wide range of foods in the complementary breakfast that can appeal to all. We actually provide four kinds of fresh bread, croissant, brioche and banana cake each day. In addition of changing fresh fruits and juices, we offer three kinds of fresh fruits and juices following Thailand fruits’ seasons. This way, we can be sure that our guests can enjoy the real taste of the tropical fruits.
You were given a 15% discount voucher at check-in for the spa for Ayurvedic and a la carte treatments. There are also special promotions on offer at the spa but these are already reduced in price and not available for the 15% discount.
Once again, we hope your boutique experience with us was very happy. Travel well, and hope to see you again.
Kind regards,
Chairat

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our stay at Ping Nakara was incredible. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and elegant. We had 3 people in the room and it should be noted that the roll away bed that we had was also incredibly comfortable/above average. One thing I will note: the setup of our room (room 7) is slightly unusual. You come into the room in the bathroom, so privacy is sort of minimal. Thus, this wouldn't really matter for a couple, but was less preferable since I was traveling with my parents. I happen to know room 6 has the same set up, but that not all of the rooms are organized like this. Our room also had a large balcony which was a nice touch. One of the true highlights for me was the complimentary breakfast. Truly exceptional. A great menu of breakfast items that can be ordered, as well as a great buffet of yogurts, fruits, etc.
The Ping Nakara was also eager to help you organize trips. However, I will say, on our last morning, we had arranged a trip to the "handicraft village" which was nothing but a huge tourist trap. It was not authentic, nor was the restaurant the driver took us too afterwards. Absolutely should be skipped.

Room Tip: See my comments in comment above, room 6 and 7 open into the bathroom. Not a large problem if travel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family