See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel has been under new management for about a year and they just haven't got it right at all. Advertised as the largest gay hotel in Asia (10 floors) it boasts a sky bar/restaurant on the 10th floor, a club in the basement and a pool, steam room and gym... All of it is dreadfully decorated, the pool is dirty and the bar/club in the basement is just awful! The staff speak very little English when you need to complain about anything, but perfect English when it comes to paying your bill! The breakfast consists of a cold fried egg (on purpose!) a tiny piece of ham and a cold sausage (again on purpose) the whole sorry mess comes garnished with shredded cabbage and a bit if grated carrot!!! As for it's claims to being the largest gay hotel in Asia, me and my partner were somewhat confused to see 2 elderly straight couples and a raft of school kids all having breakfast!! All very bizarre! As my partner put it "it's like it's some college facility where they've plonked a load of students in here and said, right, as part of your training we're giving you the chance of running a hotel!". All in all pretty dismal!!

Date of stay: October 2010
3  Thank Mattchew26
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Well were do I start, the web site for the hotel looks great but I was so so disappointed. I was looking forward to going to what is meant to be Asias biggest gay complex under one roof, what a dissappointment.
I booked the biggest suite and car transfer direct with hotel, I arrived at airport and waited over one hour and then telephoned the hotel who just said that they had no car avaiable and I should take taxi, I asked why they did not telephone me or email me and they simply had a dont care less attitude. Ok I put this behind me cause errors can happen, I arrived at the hotel and was told that the night club, cafe and massage parlour was closed but they can serve Thai only food, GREAT I booked this hotel for the entertainment and they have nothing going on, I again asked why they did not email me with this information and the manager just shook her head with a dont care less attitude and then the staff spoke in Thia and just laughed at me.
I was then taken to what was meant to be the biggest and best and most exspensive room and quite honestly it was of 1 star qulity if that at all. I then asked to look at a standard room with was less than half the price and I could not tell the differance in the two rooms. I decided to check out.
The hotel is not in a good location and there is nothing much around, the staff are rude and the interior of the hotel is really dated, shabby and of dirty appearance. The swimming pool is also small and dirty and I dont think I would of used it if I had of stayed. The gym was also closed at the time of my arrival.
I am a seasoned traveller and am realistic with prices and accomodation but on this occasion am dissappointed with the lack of customer care and really want to advise fellow travellers to really look into this hotel as it could ruin your trip.
I then browsed the net and found www.lotus-hotel.com (Lotus Hotel) and thank goodness that when one door closes a better one opens. This hotel was half the price of Lavender Lanna and what great personal service that the staff and managment offer. The rooms are spacious, clean and compfortable, the in house food is tasty and realistically priced and best of all your within walking distance to many bars, massage and go go bars. I would strongly recommend that you visit The New My Way Bar and also Circle Bar which are both within safe walking distance. Adams bars is directly opposite the Lotus but I was not keen on the pushy amercican management who just push guys on you. Circle bar very proffessional show and elegent surroundings to enjoy an evening.
I hope this review helps you and I mean no malice to Lavender Lanna, I simply report the facts on my arrival.

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank Michael666
Reviewed May 22, 2010

The service was above average but not delightful. The staff seemed quite laidback.

My first room was a budget room. It was poorly maintained. Some lights were not working. The bathroom was quite grimy and really small. No matter what I did, I couldn't get hot shower. The walls had dirt patches. But the old air-conditioning worked fine and the bed was surprisingly comfy. There's no safe in room. The cable TV had a wide selection. I loved watching the scifi channel.

At a price, I was given an upgraded room for my second night. It was bigger and better maintained. The window view were nice. Still no safe in the room. The cable TV had transmission problems. Didn't get to see my favourite scifi channel. The decor was kinda slapdash in my opinion. To me, the room was overpriced.

The signal for free wifi (internet) was very poor in the rooms. Had to do all my surfing in the reception/lounge/restaurant for better connection. During my second night, the wifi service was down indeterminately (to my utter disappointment as I was looking out for alternative hotels to stay).

The reception, lounge and restaurant were tastefully decorated. Breakfast was okay. If you're afraid of dogs, be aware that there's a pet dog running around the reception area.

The swimming pool was okay and kinda nice. Dunno how often it's been cleaned. The swimming pool area looked new. The steam room was not operating at all. Occupants of the next building could see the swimming pool area. Privacy is limited.

I actually quite liked the massage at this hotel. There's no cubicles. The lower level hotel rooms were used for massages. The plumbing in the bathroom wasn't very good.

Although there's a big sign out front advertising the PowerBoys, this bar was closed indefinitely. I was told by the staff that it was under renovation. Rumour has it that the PowerBoys will be relocating out of the hotel. If you intend to visit the PowerBoys, check with the hotel first.

The location was okay. Personally, I didn't quite like it. The traffic out front was almost always busy. Although you can see the moat and old city across the hotel, the gates were quite a distance away. If you intend to spend a lot of time at Kad Suan Kaew (Central Mall), it's within walking distance. Otherwise, it's better to take a tuktuk. Some drivers don't know Lavender Lanna but they do know it by it's old name, Sri Tokyo. I love walking and this location doesn't suit me entirely.

Lavender Lanna has been advertised as a "gay" hotel. On the contrary, I believed it's becoming more mainstream and gay-friendly instead of straight-friendly. GLBTs may want to take this into consideration. I had difficulty making my reservation prior to my arrival and the correspondence was incomplete and delayed.

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Lavender Lanna Hotel
I stayed at the hotel with my partner from the 8th February for 7 nights. Having read numerous reviews of the hotel before departing for Thailand, we were in two minds whether to cancel our reservation. We arrived at the hotel expecting to walk out and find another hotel. We are glad that we did not cancel the reservation and that we ignored the somewhat negative reviews and gave this hotel a chance.
We are not saying that the hotel is perfect, not many hotels are, however it does not deserve the clearly scathing reports that some people have posted about the place. Published room rates range from 850 Baht (£17 sterling ) for a ‘Budget Room’ per night to 1,850 Baht (£37 sterling) for a Lavender Deluxe Plus Room per night. The website is clear that the Budget Rooms have not been modernised in any way. If you are paying £17 for a room in a city centre hotel, be honest, what are you really expecting?
The hotel is in an old 1960’s hotel, most of the public areas have been renovated and tastefully so in a modern style. The rooms are spread across 10 floors, we booked a Deluxe Room Plus at 1,850 Baht per night, we were situated on the top floor, the room had been renovated, it was clean, there was a super king size bed, which was brand new (as the plastic covering was still on the base of the bed), We have to say it was one of the most comfortable hotel beds that we have slept in and the pillows were also very comfortable too. There was a brand new large flat screen TV, a well stocked mini bar with very competitively priced drinks that you did not feel that you were being ripped off. The hotel also provided two free bottles of water per day, the in room hotel brochure stated that these were the two glass bottles. The mini bar also had 3 further plastic bottles of water which could be purchased for a small amount. The only problem that we could find with the room was the bathroom, it was clean like the room however it was in need of modernisation, but then the hotel website does say that the bathrooms are the next project to be completed, so this was expected. The air conditioning worked effectively.
The hotel has a swimming pool, like most city centre hotels, the pool is a token gesture added to get a higher star rating. As the pool was inherited from the previous hotel, the Lavender Lanna owners have created a very pleasant pool area by adding decking, water features and some very comfortable sun loungers, there is a pool side bar, a steam room and poolside showers, changing rooms and toilets. This area does not get a great deal of sun if any until late afternoon, and then only partially, however there is a small sun terrace away from the pool, which does get full sun all day.
There is a roof top restaurant, which is on two levels, this area has been landscaped and is a very attractive area to sit out and have a drink or have dinner with fantastic views across the city. During our stay at the hotel, the chef changed, and so did the menu, the western food came off and the menu was replaced by a Thai menu, this appeared to us to be an improvement. There is a buffet breakfast supplied, again during our stay, we saw improvements to the breakfast. First 3 days we stuck with the freshly brewed coffee, toast and fresh fruit, deciding to pass on the hot selection of Thai cuisine that was on offer, the Thai guests seemed to be enjoying the selection very much, it just wasn’t our idea of breakfast. By the end of our stay, the breakfast buffet had improved and was also including, eggs, cereals and juice. The hotel does offer at a small supplement the opportunity to have an American breakfast or other cooked options. Again can we remind you, what do you expect for £17 per night.
The hotel does market itself as a ‘specialty budget gay hotel that is welcoming to everyone’. With 110 rooms, gay clientele have to be reasonable and ask themselves, can any hotel with 110 bedrooms be exclusively gay and a successful business anywhere in the world? The gay market isn’t that big, so one would have to expect that there will be a mixed clientele.
The hotel has free wifi, which only really works in the public areas of the hotel, around the pool, reception and outside the front of the hotel, it didn’t work in our room on the 10th floor. The hotel also provides free of charge two computers on the 3rd floor for guest use.
The staff are all very friendly, some more competent than others, however saying that, the problems that arose were generally because of the language barriers, and the Thai persons willingness to always help you, even sometimes when they don’t understand what you are asking for.
Now the downsides of the hotel, the location, is on the outside of the ‘Old City’ directly opposite the old city walls as can be seen from the hotel’s website. There is however 5 or 6 lanes of traffic that have to be negotiated to get across the road, there are no crossings or foot bridges, it’s a case of doing what the Thais do and negotiate one lane at a time, otherwise take a Tuk Tuk everywhere. The hotel is on a very busy junction, and like anywhere in Chiang Mai the traffic is virtually non stop 24hrs a day, the traffic noise can be heard even on the 10th floor. Saying that, it didn’t prevent us from sleeping, but if traffic noise does keep you awake then a city centre hotel may not be for you.
Finally, in the basement of the hotel is the ‘PowerBoys’ cabaret, again like in all the public areas of the hotel a lot of money has been spent in modernising. The cabaret is gay orientated, with lady boy shows and some nudity, this may or may not offend some guests, it is there if you want it and if you don’t, then don’t go down to the basement.
I hope this review helps, the hotel is not perfect, there are faults, but if you are looking for a smooth and slick corporate service that you get in the likes of the Marriott’s, Sheraton’s and Hilton’s of this world then I suggest that you book in to one of those corporate chain hotels and pay the appropriate room rate, which I think will be at least 4 times that of the top priced room at the Lavendar.
If we return to Chiang Mai, we will stay at the Lavender, we wish them all the success that they deserve because they are clearly trying to make a success of it.

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2010

this was one of the worst hotel experiences i have ever had. while the public spaces are great, the rooms leave much to be desired as does the staff. i ahd booked for 15 days but upon seeing my room which was listed as the second best i was very unhappy, smaller than the picture, the bath room had holes in the ceiling, there was a terrible musty smell in the room, mismatched furniture and no drawer space, the wifi didn't work, the internet area only had one working computer and there were problems with it, security was terrible, the slide lock was rusted open and couldn't be used and the door lock could be popped with a nail file, i tried it.. at least, the bed was very comfortable and the bed linens first rate. i found the staff, especially the front desk, to be very poorly trained, having been a concierge at a small, private, san francisco nob hill hotel for a number of years i expect a modicum of competence, not just a cute face that crumbles at the first sign of a problem. the female day manage had what was probably the worst customer service attitude i ever saw, i asked for use of the hotel tuk tuk, suppposedly 100 baht for a one way ride, she told me it was not available, i could see it sitting in front, that it was only for use to go to bars and denied it was a service even though it was listed on hotel literature and there were posters in the elevator. i checked out the next day because the moldy smell kicked off an asthma attack, the first i had had in years. this was where the fun began, the hotel charges you up front for the stay, and she argued that i had booked the hotel and should stay, when i refused she argued that i had drunk two waters, i had only drunk one. i refused to argue and she tried to make it a federal case, i told her to charge me and let me go. she did, basically throwing my money at me, dismissed the bellman and refused to get me a cab out of there. they are offering rooms for 495 baht a night, the owner died recently and the local christian community is out for its blood. sitting on the beautiful roof garden area i heard nothing but complaints from other guests. chances are it will be gone by the time you read this and it is a shame because the potential is great, looks like the money ran out and the political climate was bad for gay venues of this size and with this big an exposure. too bad

Date of stay: February 2010