“Relax in Tonnam”
Review of Tonnam Homestay

Tonnam Homestay
Ranked #24 of 825 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We just came back from a 5 days stay at Tonnam Homestay. It was our first time to chiang mai and we made a right choice to have relaxing holidays here.

It's excellent value homestay in chiang mai. Our bungalow is room no.1, spacious, clean and well wooden decoration, bed is comfortable. The hosts Yui and Cecile are very nice and made us feel like at home. They helped us to arrange one day trip, bring us to visit local market, and do oil massage. And staffs are friendly and always smiling :)

Another highlight is meal, we didn't leave to find any restaurant from outside and stayed here to enjoy every lunch and dinner, the thai food was definite delicious, a little bit spicy, like dim sum, pork salad, soup rice with shrimp, curry chicken, chocolate cake, thai desserts ... all home made by "ah sim" Pom together with three girls in open kitchen. Luckily we had a chance to enjoy a big dinner ( thai style barbecue ).

Most of time we stayed here have a swim, listen music, chat with Yui and cook with Pom. It's a perfect place to relax ... Thanks to Yui, Cecile and Pom gave us amazing holidays. We certainly come back soon as honeymoon and strongly recommend my friends to choose this ONE !

Lily & MC

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MCKwong

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in july in this confortable Homestay, mostly thanks to the couple of owners, Cecile and Yul, who are bringing a personnal attention to their customers but without any excess.
Your requests will have a quick and effective answer (they didn't hesitate to change the bed mattress which confort was a bit hard for us ...)

The wooden bungalows are nice with a bathroom in a natural decor.
The swimming pool above the river is highly awaited after a hot day passed in Chiang Mai area.

You should not miss having a dinner at the Homestay because :
- the cooking is of high quality and remarkably tasty (Pom is a very good cook but also a very kind person),
- the opened dining room above the river is particularly nice in the evening,
- the owners are succeeding in creating a very convivial atmosphere by naturally facilitating links between the customers.

Chiang Mai center is not so far (15/20 minutes). A drop service is proposed in the Homestay and you can take a tuk tuk for the way back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank family_mat
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the first time I have been to Chiangmai. I stayed in the city so it is different experience to stay in outskirts of city. Beautiful wooden tek house by the river, therefore there are many mozzies. They have awesome insect repellent for sale so it does just fine for me. Awesome hospitality I would say. It feels like home. Is better to rent a motor if you like to move around. Is more convenient that way. Cecile and Yui are really helpful and so as Pom. They are flexible too. I dont really enjoy western breakfast and they changed to thai-style for me without extra charges. Even prepare a small celebration for my birthday and gave me a bouquet of roses :)

Overall I enjoyed my 5d4n stay at Tonnam and will like to recommend anybody whom read this review.

Thanks Cecile, Yui, Pom and the other staffs :)

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MelPeh
Reviewed August 5, 2012

After visiting busy Bangkok, we wanted to stay in a more relaxing place in Chiang Mai and chose Tonnam. The resort is great with a clean bungalow to yourself and a nice friendly atmosphere where all residents and staff relax together in the evening by the pool with food and drinks.

Yul and Cecile are very helpful and go out of their way to ensure you have a great stay, for example the 150baht shuttle to town is very handy. The home made food is amazing, we ate there the first and last day and despite eating anywhere and everywhere in Thailand, we probably enjoyed this the most.

Yul also does a one day trip to Doi Suthep where he takes you to the temple, a village in the mountains, a coffee plantation, the long neck tribe and added on Tiger Kingdom for us too. This ended up being much better than going alone, which we had initially planned, since he explains a lot and makes travelling easy. Before we arrived we had trouble booking an elephant ride tour directly through a company and Cecile kindly rang them up and booked it for us in advance.

All in all, it was a great stay with a very homely atmosphere and we thoroughly enjoyed the company of others who spent their time with us during our stay at Tonnam too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mpg08_12
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've stayed in this warm and beautiful place for 5 days. When I planned my trip, I was looking for a tranquil and green place for a relaxing holidays- to refresh myself after hectic work life in Hong Kong.
The river view and swimming pool of Tonnam in the photos had caught my attention. When my friend and I arrived the homestay, we both agreed that we've made a wise choice. The homestay is surrounded by lovely trees and flower plants. Our bungalow is clean and comfy. It opens to the pool in a 10-step distance. And it's always stunning to begin the day with a fruity breakfast under a wooden hut overseeing the Ping river. Yet the homestay is not too far away from the city center and we can easily find a tuktuk back to the homestay even at night.

Yul and Cecile are very warm and thoughtful hosts ensuring that we have a comfortable stay. If you love good food and would like to know more about Thai cooking, i guess Tonnam shall definitely be your choice. I simply don't want to miss any meals in the homestay once I have tried the meal by Pom the wonderful chef!!!!!! Pom's so passionated in preparing tasty thai meals for the guests and would adjust the ingredients thoughtfully to meet the preference of guests (as my friend cannot take too spicy food).
During the stay I cooked nearly all lunch and dinner with this warm loving lady, together with Yul and the three lovely girls in the kitchen. They are so generous in sharing all the cooking tips with me. Most importantly, Pom's radiating smile simply enlighten everyone around ;) ;)  It was such a wonderful time cooking, enjoying the music, drinking (wine for Yul and coke for me hahaaa!!) and chit-chating with the lovely people in the open kitchen just beside the river.

Whenever I think of Chiangmai, the first thing pops up in my mind must be the scenic view of the home, the smell of the herbs from the hot dishes, and the heartwarming smiles of every staffs in Tonnam homestay. Thanks again and I'll surely recommend my friends to come and have a fun time with my lovely thai friends here :) :)
wishes and take care!
Christine :)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just Excellent ! Beautiful wooden tek house on the river bank. Excellent staff, always very helpful and excellent food. We just loved it !
The only but....a bit far from town, but even there, the staff are alway ready to drive the clients downtown. A bit difficult though to find a tuktuk willing to drive you back later at night .
Thanks to the whole team in Tonnam for the wonderful stay we had with you !

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wanda t
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Along with some dear friends we recently rented 3 bungalows and spent six beautiful nights at the Tonnam Homestay. This was something of a reunion for our little gang and after the hectic pace of attending the RI conference in Bangkok this was a slice of heaven. We made it clear to Yul that we wanted to RELAX, do some gentle exploring, and EAT wonderful food -- he rose above and beyond our expectations. He was the most gracious (and fun) host. The bungalows are lovely, very comfortable and have everything that you'd need. We'd spend most afternoons and evenings chilling by the pool, listening to the best music, sipping cocktails and just laughing. For those times we had enough energy to actually move, we went off with the elephants as well as a Thai cookery school - all arranged by Yul. I was even in urgent need of some gifts and he knew just where to take me. The only downside is that I think we all gained a few kilos because Pom's food was just that delicious!!!! After our first night we made the conscious choice that her feasts simply could not be missed, so we came back every night (but one) to enjoy. For those that say the Homestay is far from the town, I'd disagree. It was the best of both worlds - in 5minutes you could be in the heart of massages, night markets and 'action' yet always come back to a true home away from home. Un gros merci Yul - c'etait vraiment superb!! Bisous a tous!! Reb

Room Tip: Bungalows closer to the river are quieter, but we didn't mind hearing the odd car go by...