“Perfect! People with their hearts at right place.”
Review of Joy's House

Joy's House
Ranked #4 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Waddinxveen, The Netherlands
“Perfect! People with their hearts at right place.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been in Thailand many many times but never had been in the North.
So, I decided to search for a place in or close to Chiang Mai.
Because I am a big fan of the Thai kitchen I wanted to learn more than making PadThai, Tom Yum Goong etc.
While reading several recommendations about places around Chiang Mai here at Tripadvisor I also read the information about Joy's House.
That became very interesting because Joy's house offers just a bit more and different if I compare it with other guesthouses, Hostels or Hotels etc.
My goal was to learn more Thai Cooking but also to see the surroundings of Chiang Mai in a relaxed way. Besides that I read about the Children's Chelter Foundation and to me I found that a very good initiative. I do have much respect for people care for others who are not so fortunate. So I thougt "let's give it a try" :)

It took me just a few minutes to get my room booked and everything was done. Detailed information was send inmediately telling me the staff will wait for me at the airport when I arrive.

When I arrived at the airport the staff was there. It really took a few minutes and we where on our way to Joy's house. GREAT!
I got a hearthwarming welcome and inmediately I felt like home.
Because I arrived late I went to bed to get o good rest. I booked a standard room. The room was very good! neat, clean, beautiful. Nothing to complain about.

The next day I got to know the other staff of Joy's house. A variety of very friendly people ;) Children and adults. All of them, without any exception, gave me the feeling that they wanted me to have a good time while staying at Joy's house.

I did some tours Joy's House offered and I can tell you, even it was low season, sometimes a lot of rain, they managed to give me a very good time. I have seen a lot and learned a lot.

The Thai cooking course I booked was also very good. The have learned me a lot of skills and yes, I already was familiair with the Thai kitchen but I have made great dishes together with the staff of Joy's House. Not only learned a lot but there was something more which is very important!....... FUN, PLEASURE and great SMILES. to say in Thai: SANOEK MAAK MAAK!

I was lucky because when I arrived the staff and children of Joy's House where having a rehersal of a song which they where going to sing the next day. They where going to have a party. The children where finishing a program of learning and getting more skills about everything which has to do about hospitality, tourists, English language skills etc. And guess what?.. I was invited to join the party.
At the party the next day I have seen the children performing little sketches to show the audience in a fun and pleasant way what they have learned. That was really fun! On the other hand it showed me what Joy's house is doing for these children. Giving them a great opportunity to build a nice future for themselves.

I have visited the Children's Foundation a few times during my stay at Joy's House. And yes, they do a very good job up there. If you book a stay at Joy's House, please give yourself the opportunity to visit the farm. IT's fun but most important it's shows what Joy's house is all about.

I can tell you, I came to Joy's house primary to learn more about Thai cooking but the Children's Chelter foundation and to experience all the effort the staff and organisation of Joy's House put into that was really my absolute Highlight of my stay. It's one big family and they give you the opportunity to be a part of it. They open their hearts. Important to say.... they don't push you. Their motto, at least that's how I experienced it, is to have fun be relaxed and have respect for each other.

In short, Joy's house is a very nice place to stay. Clean and organized. Food is delicious and the Staff is doing all they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I also think for families with children Joy's house is a really good choice.

Each hotel, guesthouse, hostel will always have points to improve. My guess there will be no 100% excellency at any place. But Joy's house is very close to excellence! They are open to receive suggestions to even improve their facility and services.

I will come back for sure! And really, even at low season it's a very good choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank SylVeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Deutschland
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After staying here two times as a guest ( 2011, 2012) I have decided to stay a volunteer.
All people here are so nice and friendly, so they seem like a second family for me.
Exspacially I like the atmosphere in Joy's House. Every evening all students and guests are sitting together sing songs and have a lot of fun.
Joy's house provide different kinds of travel tours with your own guides. Also you can make a cooking course or join a really good massage.
The food in Joy's house is also really nice and you can have a view in typical thai meals.
Close to the guest house is a big super market and it tooks only 15-20 minutes to the City.
As well I like the idea to afford childeren a chance for a better future. In Joy's House and in the lakeland farm they get English ( sometimes also German) lesons by the volunteers.
To stay here has enabled us to learn about the thai lifestile and there culture.
The employment with the childrens is funny and they apply oneself to learn.
I be glad to stay here the next month and hope that I've a gold time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Phil N
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Love the place, it is so green and natural. Very warm welcome from all staff members with kind hospitality from all kids which really touch your heart. The place is very nice and clean where you can sit back and relax or enjoys the activities from the Joy's house. I really recommend this place not to be missed to experience extra special place further than usual Chiangmai that you know.

7 Thank Nijntje_Amilie
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed only one night from 11 till 12th October 2013 with 4 people in the superior villa near the pool. Everything was clean, rooms were spacious and breakfast was awesome We were really touched by the kindness and hospitality of the children. We definitely will be coming back and stay with the children in Lakeland. Big hugs to you all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank MARIEHELENEHELEVEN
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I all with love this place.very nice and very relax.Because not busy about anything.when you are from big city you see only busy life all time.but when i cam here for holiday it like the place on the story in old time.what i dream.

Room Tip: you try here every nice place for your sure
6 Thank nina6677
Provo, Utah
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I worked at the Children's Shelter Foundation for three months with the children, and went to Joy's House frequently. It was an incredible experience- the children are wonderful, and your stay at Joy's house can support activities, supplies, and other important things for the children. I would highly recommend staying at Joy's House, and would not miss it. This is one place where you must stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Bronwen2013
Bkk
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Such a beautiful place to stay and a very warm welcome from all the staff make me feel like home . Here you can learn about Thai culture and you can also helping to support the Children's Shelter Foundation . This is one place you should visit in ChiangMai.
"A special place to make special memories"

6 Thank NooSi