“A Place to Rest Your Mind”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Joy's House

Joy's House
Ranked #4 of 718 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Kennedy Town, null, Hong Kong
“A Place to Rest Your Mind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at Joy's House at the end of October for 6 nights and enjoyed it immensely. Joy and Uli are the best hosts ever!

The accommodation is cozy, and the trips well organized. It really gives you a family feel, and by the time I had to travel to the south, I simply did not want to go!

During my stay I took daily yoga lessons with one of their teachers. It was a challenge, but I ended up doing something I thought I could never manage before.

I particularly enjoy the trip to the farm of the Children's Shelter Foundation. The children are so sweet, and I miss them already. On the way back from the farm, we stopped by a hot spring at night. Bathing under the stars was simply amazing, and words fail to capture the experience.

If you are looking for a place to rest your mind, I would say choose Joy's House without hesitation. It is out of the touristic part of town, hence very quiet. The gardens are well maintained and the food is great (esp. if you are a vegetarian). Try the Thai massage and herbal ball massage. My friend and I enjoyed both very much. If you are a musician, you can even jam with the staff at night.

Go there with an open mind. It is not a five-star hotel, but it has much more to offer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anirbas A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I originally booked two nights at Joy's House, as we then wanted to have a hotel directly in Old Chiang Mai. After two nights at the other place, we missed Joy's so much that we decided to go back! This is going to be a long review, as everything needs to be talked about, since it was such a great experience.

CHECK IN
We arrived by taxi (I think usually they pick you up at the airport, but since we were arriving by train, and didn't know exactly what time we'd arrive, they told us to take a taxi, and that they would cover the cost on arrival, which they did) and when we got there, the boys were jamming and the girls were singing, it was such a nice ambiance! Dao had a seat with us and explained the services and day trips they offered, and I never felt pressured into buying any one of them.

ROOM
We had the standard room (which is little less than 50$US/night) and two twin beds. Room was very very clean, good size, and the bathroom was just what we needed too. Shower was a large area so you don't feel trapped, shower pressure and temperature are good. Had a hairdryer. AC worked great too. Wifi never caused a problem, and was working full power throughout the resort.
Second time we went we got a superior room, which was amazing! Large room, king size bed with great hardwood floors.

GENERAL AREA
There was a very nice pool, which was great on those hot days! They had a nice breakfast area, with big large "beds" where you could sit and eat. Also had a bar area, where you could serve yourself in the fridge, you just had to write down what you took so it could be billed at check-out. Really loved that concept. The dining area is nice and cozy, in open air but covered by a roof, so you could always enjoy a nice meal even if it's raining.

FOOD
The FOOD. I'm salivating just thinking of it. Joy's mother cooks the meals, and you get to enjoy several authentic dishes at dinner. We enjoyed every single bite, and felt nice and full after the whole dinner. It's 300BT per person, and you get a LOT of food. You can also ask for lunch for 100BT (I think?), you just have to advise the staff before 1PM. I would eat their food again and again. So delicious. For breakfast, there was a lot of choice. Make your own eggs & pancakes, toast (with peanut butter and Nutella!), cereal, toast, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, we were full every morning!

STAFF
This is where everyone is on the same page on Trip Advisor. Absolutely amazing. Almost everyone on site are teens that have been previously living at the farm. As others mentioned, Joy and Ulrike have a farm that houses children from tribe villages, or children with disabilities, and offers them a second chance at life. (I'll talk about it below) They were very courteous and respectful, always had a nice big smile and good morning when we had breakfast. We had dinner with Dao and another girl (forgot her name, sorry!) on our first night, and it was so nice talking with them. Dao is SUCH a sweetheart, I completely fell in love with her! So nice and funny, she speaks english very well and was able to teach us a lot about thai culture.

LOCATION
As mentioned by others, it's a bit out of Old Chiang Mai, so you need to take a taxi (about 200BT) to get there. But if you don't mind the taxi, or if you just want to spend time relaxing out of Old Chiang Mai, you NEED to stay here.

DAY TRIPS
The farm - They drove us to the farm which is about 30 minutes away. Wow, who's one of the girls that works at Joy's, was our guide. It was fantastic seeing all the fruits and vegetables they all grow organically. They teach you how to cook some traditional thai dishes. We went on a bike ride with the boys where they showed us amazing scenery as well as their school. We basically got to watch kids being kids, and got to see a slice of their life. It was a great experience.

Doi Inthanon - Great day! Were picked up by a big air conditioned van and got to spend the day with such a knowledgeable guide, as well as two girls (Rutha and I forget the other girls name, but both were great!!) of Joy's house. We got to see a beautiful mountain, great waterfalls and had an amazing (and huge) lunch by the water. Also went through hill tribes where we stopped at an organic coffee farm. Had some great coffee there!

IN GENERAL
I think that if you're the type that just wants to stay in their room and not socialize, you won't take full advantage of this place. It was really enjoyable staying in the communal area, drinking a beer and relaxing in this calm place. We got to meet great people too: Eva, Roger, Daniele, Jason and Kuni, spent great time with you guys!

Overall, our stay at Joy's house was more than just a place to sleep. It was an amazing experience, one of the highlights of our one month trip to Thailand. I loved it so much, I'm thinking of going back next year but to volunteer. I miss everyone at Joy's house!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mariebird
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had booked in to Joy's House for 2 nights, but once we arrived, we stayed for 5! Everyone was so warm, kind and welcoming. We went to the foundations farm, elephant trekking, overnight trek to hilltop tribe, cooking class as well as massage and exploring local markets. We loved our time here and it was sad to leave. Thank you to you all, you have created a very special place. Hope to see you all again one day. Love Kate and Steve

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Katekeown
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Joy's House has a peaceful vibe you don't find in very many places. What makes it truly special are the people. From Joy and Uli to the children who staff and live at the house, you immediately feel the kind of relaxation I've only ever felt before being surrounded by my own family on holidays. This place is one that we will come back to again for sure. We stayed 1 night at Joy's and 2 nights at the Children's Shelter Foundation organic farm. Unforgettable scenery, food, and friendships are what we found there. Our children (10,6,6) loved the freedom to rome and get dirty as they experienced real life on very different terms that we're used to in Singapore.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

After searching for places to stay in Chiang Mai, I came across Joy's House and decided to stay there. It was the best decision I made. It was such a memorable experience. I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for three tours at the House, which are all given by the children at Joy's House or kids that have been trained at the House. It was such a heart warming experience to have the kids to sing for us after we took a cooking class with them. It was equally nice to contribute to a place that is truly making a difference in the lives of Thai children.
The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was also very delicious. It is about 10 minutes from the old city , so you get some peace and quiet too. A taxi ride is only 200.00 bhat and the children will gladly call you a taxi whenever you need it. Joy was super accomdating to my requests and made it possible for me to fit in the Golden Triangle tour during my stay there. It is also a great place to build new friendships with other guests. I honestly did not want to leave and feel like I am part of the Joy family now.
If you want to stay someplace that is clean and fun. A place to build new and great bonds. And a place to contribute to a worthy cause. Then this is the place for you.
I will be back soon

• Stayed October 2012
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The moment I walked through the gates at Joy's House I knew I had found what I was looking for... An authentic place to call home and rest during our long journey throughout Thailand.

My son and I have stayed with Joy and her extended family for 8 nights at Joy's house and 6 nights at the children's foundation farm (originally for 4 and 5 nights but didn't want to leave). It has been an amazing experience... One that will stay close to my heart forever!!

Joy is so warm and loving... You will feel this the first time you meet her. Joy helped me organise my stay from start to finish by organising yoga classes and a few tours conducted by some of her very knowledgable students. Unfortunately while we were there my son had an ear infection... Joy and the kids helped me take care of him and with our visits to the hospital. With all the stress from my son being unwell the girls helped me unwind with 2 beautiful massages... Thank you Girls and Joy xx Joy's Mum is also a star in my eye's. She always has a warm smile and yummy home cooked meals to share... I just wish I could speak Thai so we could chat and she could share all her cooking secrets with me ;) Joy's house isn't just full of beautiful people it is also a lovely setting including lovely garden's, fantastic pool and a traditional Thai style home set in a village not to far from the city centre.

Right now we are on our last night of our farm stay and I am very sad to leave. The children are so happy and very well adjusted regardless of everything they have been through in their lives. I am sure this wouldn't be the case hadn't the farm been such a warm and nurturing environment. Joy and Ulrike have put so much love and HARD work into creating a safe and loving home both at Joy's house and the farm. They have made such a massive difference in so many people's lives... You are both my heros and the world needs more of you!!

Joy's house and the children's shelter foundation aren't just guesthouse's they are family homes full of beautiful happy people. I can't wait to return and again and again and I look forward to staying in touch to watch how everybody grows and accomplished their dreams.

If you are wanting to make a positive contribution to someone's life and enjoy a holiday with a difference please contact Joy's House... You won't regret it!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison C
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed in Joy's house with our 4 girls from 15th until 22nd of August. We were afraid of expecting to much, looking at all the 5-star reviews at Tripadvisor. But actually the experience was even better than that. All the positive notes that have been posted about this warmhearted & friendly place are completely right. It was our girls' favourite place during a 5 week holiday in Thailand & Laos. Jack's guitar lessons after dinner, visiting the Shelter Foundation, learning sign language, cooking classes, actually they almost forgot to use the swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family