“Feel like one of the family”
Review of Joy's House

Joy's House
Ranked #4 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Feel like one of the family”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Joy's House has a peaceful vibe you don't find in very many places. What makes it truly special are the people. From Joy and Uli to the children who staff and live at the house, you immediately feel the kind of relaxation I've only ever felt before being surrounded by my own family on holidays. This place is one that we will come back to again for sure. We stayed 1 night at Joy's and 2 nights at the Children's Shelter Foundation organic farm. Unforgettable scenery, food, and friendships are what we found there. Our children (10,6,6) loved the freedom to rome and get dirty as they experienced real life on very different terms that we're used to in Singapore.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After searching for places to stay in Chiang Mai, I came across Joy's House and decided to stay there. It was the best decision I made. It was such a memorable experience. I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for three tours at the House, which are all given by the children at Joy's House or kids that have been trained at the House. It was such a heart warming experience to have the kids to sing for us after we took a cooking class with them. It was equally nice to contribute to a place that is truly making a difference in the lives of Thai children.
The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was also very delicious. It is about 10 minutes from the old city , so you get some peace and quiet too. A taxi ride is only 200.00 bhat and the children will gladly call you a taxi whenever you need it. Joy was super accomdating to my requests and made it possible for me to fit in the Golden Triangle tour during my stay there. It is also a great place to build new friendships with other guests. I honestly did not want to leave and feel like I am part of the Joy family now.
If you want to stay someplace that is clean and fun. A place to build new and great bonds. And a place to contribute to a worthy cause. Then this is the place for you.
I will be back soon

• Stayed October 2012
Bangkok
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The moment I walked through the gates at Joy's House I knew I had found what I was looking for... An authentic place to call home and rest during our long journey throughout Thailand.

My son and I have stayed with Joy and her extended family for 8 nights at Joy's house and 6 nights at the children's foundation farm (originally for 4 and 5 nights but didn't want to leave). It has been an amazing experience... One that will stay close to my heart forever!!

Joy is so warm and loving... You will feel this the first time you meet her. Joy helped me organise my stay from start to finish by organising yoga classes and a few tours conducted by some of her very knowledgable students. Unfortunately while we were there my son had an ear infection... Joy and the kids helped me take care of him and with our visits to the hospital. With all the stress from my son being unwell the girls helped me unwind with 2 beautiful massages... Thank you Girls and Joy xx Joy's Mum is also a star in my eye's. She always has a warm smile and yummy home cooked meals to share... I just wish I could speak Thai so we could chat and she could share all her cooking secrets with me ;) Joy's house isn't just full of beautiful people it is also a lovely setting including lovely garden's, fantastic pool and a traditional Thai style home set in a village not to far from the city centre.

Right now we are on our last night of our farm stay and I am very sad to leave. The children are so happy and very well adjusted regardless of everything they have been through in their lives. I am sure this wouldn't be the case hadn't the farm been such a warm and nurturing environment. Joy and Ulrike have put so much love and HARD work into creating a safe and loving home both at Joy's house and the farm. They have made such a massive difference in so many people's lives... You are both my heros and the world needs more of you!!

Joy's house and the children's shelter foundation aren't just guesthouse's they are family homes full of beautiful happy people. I can't wait to return and again and again and I look forward to staying in touch to watch how everybody grows and accomplished their dreams.

If you are wanting to make a positive contribution to someone's life and enjoy a holiday with a difference please contact Joy's House... You won't regret it!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison C
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed in Joy's house with our 4 girls from 15th until 22nd of August. We were afraid of expecting to much, looking at all the 5-star reviews at Tripadvisor. But actually the experience was even better than that. All the positive notes that have been posted about this warmhearted & friendly place are completely right. It was our girls' favourite place during a 5 week holiday in Thailand & Laos. Jack's guitar lessons after dinner, visiting the Shelter Foundation, learning sign language, cooking classes, actually they almost forgot to use the swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bart J
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Since my first visit in 2010 I have come here 4 times now. With family and also just by myself. I've gotten so fond of this people, love this beautyful place and will come here again and again. It is indeed my 2nd home. This year it felt a bit like being in Summercamp. I met so many nice people and the great thing about this place is that so many guests are regular guests that you keep meeting them year after year. This guesthouse is connected to the Children Shelter Foundation and so you will meet warm-hearted people from allover the World that dedicate a bit of their time in making life a bit better for this children. And that is really great!

I was a bit stressed out when I arrived and really needed some timeout from work so I focused my stay around the wellness activities that Joy's House offers. I had Massage nearly every day. Steam bath, Body scrubs and also did a detox for a week. Needless to say that I came back home feeling re-charged and full of energy.

My next trip to Chiang Mai and Joy's house is already booked!! Again and again :-)!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Santana2400
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Joys House is much more than just a hotel. Guests at Joys House experience Thai culture in the best way. You will receive a warm welcome and have an opportunity to learn about Thai cooking , sign language, and the warm hospitality of Thailand from the children who live at Joys House. You will leave with incredible memories and a sense that you have made new friends and family.

I can' recommend Joys Place highly enough.

Room Tip: Make sure you visit their farm !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Charnan B
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at Joy's House in mid Aug 2012 with my husband and 2.5 yr old son. We had originally booked a luxury room for 4 nights but after we arrived and talked with Joy, we decided to stay for only 3 nights and visit the Children's Shelter farm and stay 1 night there. We enjoyed our stay at Joy's House very much. It is a home, a large family. The room is huge and nicely decorated. There are cats everywhere, and my son enjoyed playing with them. The old lady at the kitchen was like the grandma next door who was so warm towards my son. There are language classes and musical practices for youths. They sing during and after dinner in a relaxing and warm atmosphere. There are small bikes for kids' use, and also a swimming pool with 2 depth levels which is good for both small and older children.... And our stay at the Children Shelter was the most memorable part of our journey. Situated 1 hr away from Chiang Mai, it provides love and care to around 20 children. My son can only speak Chinese, but he managed to find friends there. The children are all so naive and I can feel the love from their respectable teachers. And their way of living and education led me to rethink a lot about the way we are raising our kids in Hong Kong. I must say our stay at Joy's House and the Shelter has made our trip at Chiang Mai most exceptional and meaningful. It was not a sun and beach vacation. But those memories of love and care are most precious to us, especially to my toddler son.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family