“Best Yoga and Holistic retreat.”
Review of Joy's House

Joy's House
Ranked #4 of 786 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Doing Ying Yoga and Holistic treatment with Joy's house is the best thing that I have done for myself. Staying at Joy's house for one week and doing yoga, massage, detox and Colon massage give me a new body. Warm welcoming make me feel like I'm apart of the family and the whole time all my needed had been taking care of, They help me organize the trip and activity to keep me active and busy. I start my Yin Yoga with Lek my Yoga Teacher in the morning. and have some light breakfast then have our 3 hours massage, every day we work on different part of the body. Uli who take care the holistic treatment at Joy's house has extended knowledge in alternative medicine for more then 10 years. After the week past, my body feel so much different, my body much lighter, and much more flexible, my sleeping are much better, my mood become up lifted.

One another thing that make Joy's house special is that It is a children foundation that helping disadvantage children. Guest can participate and interact with the children. There are so much activity to do at the Joy's house. You wont get bored here.

I would recommend any one to come all the staff are supper friendly and all the children are so sweet. Love you all and can not thank you enough to Joy and Uli for making my holiday memorable.

Room Tip: get the room that close to swimming pool it nice and open
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
17  Thank Siriruch

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Me and boyfriend came to Thailand for a vacation. When we got to Chiangmai, we decided to stay at Joy's House. I first saw pictures of the house in the internet and fell in love with it. The place is amazing. The atmosphere is so cozy. Plus, the rooms are in an oriental lanna design which is very pretty.
Joy's House made our trip a true getaway; I enjoyed sitting at the pool a lot.
If you ask about the service, i would say "incredible". Everyone there was so cute and friendly; they even had site seeing plans for us to choose.
If I had the chance to come back to Thailand, I would definitely reserve a room at Joy's House.

Room Tip: The room in front of the pool; that's where we stayed
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank liindiez_s
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My husband & I together with our 18 month old baby boy and my best friend and stayed at Joys House for one week in November. We chose to stay at Joys house knowing that what we spent was helping to directly contribute to the lives of children in need.
But it was so much more than that, our stay at Joys House turned out to be one of those experiences that you never forget. As soon as we arrived, the whole pace of our holiday slowed right down, the environment is peaceful and perfect for young children. Conveniently located with a large shopping and lots of great market / food stalls within walking distance. We were greeted warmly by volunteers and the business owners Joy and Uli. Once we settled in they helped to recommend activities for the rest of the week (LOTS of choices and variety from sightseeing through to adventure)
Over the week there were various day trips that we took where we opted to leave our young son in the care of the wonderful children. Our son was clearly happy and comfortable in the environment and I had no hesitation in leaving him there. The children that live at Joys House have a very special way with young children, they are very loving and it was heartwarming to see how well our son connected with them. By the end of the week he was speaking a few Thai greetings and bowing! He flourished before our eyes.
We had the pleasure of visiting the farm outside of town where the younger children from age 1 - 15 reside. The children are eager to connect with you in Thai, English or sign language or a combination of all three. There are some things transcend language or culture and thats the language of love and connection which is what you will experience with the children.
One week went so quickly, its certainly somewhere I would like to stay again for a longer period. There are so many happy memories from this stay and lots of tears when we said goodbye! It’s very inspiring to experience whats possible when one couple persists with their dream to change and empower the lives of 48 children that would otherwise be forgotten. Your visit to Joy’s House will help to keep the dream alive.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank happykoala
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We had a wonderful time at Joy's house and our kids loved it! Lots of warm smiles and space to play for the kids. We felt at home and enjoyed the nice atmosphere. Not to forget a beer in the bar with the other guests, and the staff. A great way to get to know the real Thailand!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Rikke S
Reviewed December 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed with our two young children at Joy's house at the end of October and experienced the warmest of welcomes, great food and a superb environment for our children to safely wander free.

We chose Joy's House following Trip Advisor reviews and weren't disappointed. Joy, Uli and the students welcomed us like family, helped us to plan our itinerary (including a thoroughly relaxing Thai massage at the guest house) and taught us to cook several Thai dishes as a family (after which we thoroughly enjoyed eating the fruits of our endeavours).

Understanding that parents can often find it difficult to relax when concerned about their children's whereabouts, our 3 & 5 yr old children happily found that they had a friendly number of big 'brothers and sisters' in the form of the young students at Joy's House, who made sure that they were well attended to. It was thoroughly enjoyable to see the great work that is also being done at the children's refuge that Joy's House supports.

In short we found a happy, relaxing environment where all guests are treated as family and friends, and children are particularly welcomed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank Manila_Family
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My stay at Joy's House was great. Having never been to Thailand before, in addition to it being my first time traveling alone, I was a little anxious about where I stayed. I decided on Joy's House because of the great reviews and it did not disappoint! Joy and Uly were fantastic and it quickly felt like a home away from home. They were extremely welcoming and made the three nights just fantastic! The room was basic - no TV and cold(ish) showers, but I wasn't looking for a Marriott Hotel stay, so it worked. As another person reviewed it, it was the most peaceful and tranquil place that I stayed while in Thailand for two weeks. My only disappointment was that I did not stay longer.
I highly recommend a Thai massage from 'the master'. I had many and non compared to the one I had there, and the price was so reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
13  Thank lindz80
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Wanting more of a relational holiday experience while in Thailand, we chose Joy's House on the back of Trip Advisor reviews, knowing our money was going towards helping children at the associated children's refuge.

The peaceful atmosphere and friendliness of the staff (more like family), volunteers and other guests made Joy's House a beautiful family experience. Freshly cooked meals are superb and the young people will make you omelets, eggs etc for breakfast. The rooms, dining, communal and pool areas are all set in traditional lanna style amongst trees and greenery which add to the charm of the place.

We used the bicycles provided, to wander around local area and markets or to the nearby Rimpling market/shopping centre and loved relaxing around the pool and gardens. Free wifi around property is an added bonus.

Joy's House is more likely to attract those looking for an authentic Thai Lanna experience, than a 'Holiday Inn style' western trimmings hotel, and who want to help make a difference in Thailand, even if only by staying at Joy's House and/or visiting the refuge. Having said that our five days at Joy's House was a 5 star experience for us!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple