“Good Food, Great Prices, Excellent Environment”

The Spirit House Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

- 4-star food (menu includes, european, thai, and other asian dishes) at 3-star prices
- Good selection of cocktails and other drinks.
- Incredible ambiance - one of the most beautiful restaurants (within a city) that I've ever dined in.
- Great crowd. The owners Steve and Wanchai are great people, and I've met several friendly expats that frequent this restaurant.

2  Thank Austin W

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Spirit House is definitely a Special place.
Some may say it's hard to find (and dusty, lol), but it's certainly worth the trip out of the tourist ways.

It is located on the grounds of an ancient Buddhist temple - Wat Ku Bia (with an enormous chedi in the garden) which brings a strong energy all over the place. A Lush garden on the outside and a cultural center inside, full of antiques and music instruments from all over south-east asia definitely reinforce the energy of the place.

It is well known for its homy-western dishes but they also offer a great selection of asian dishes.

I found this incredible place about 7 years ago; and immediately fell in love with it and with its wonderful owners Wanchai and Steve.

They also support the Sangob Foundation and their "Traditional & Ethnic Art Center" project which organizes regular workshops, concerts, private classes and ceremonies.

2  Thank SangobFoundation
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I visited The Spirit House, which I found only by chance, one evening in November 2013. A choir of ex pats was rehearsing for Halloween party cum fund raising function two days later and I therefore found myself in the lovely garden with a Chedi and a waterfall, being served very good thai food (adapted to a European palate) and ended up being invited to the Halloween party! Don't miss out on this place when in Chiang Mai! Me and my Thai friend were impressed by the quality of the song of the expat choir and of the specially invited thai traditional music group that performed during the first hour of the party. I hope they reached their goal of buying traditional thai instruments for performers of this sophisticated art!

2  Thank Bjarne S
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Steve warmly welcomes all his customers and he is interesting to talk to. Atmospheric setting, with lovely water feature and plants. Best chicken pate I have ever had and a big portion! Good menu and always several 'specials' to choose from. Have introduced several expats to the Spirit House and they have always made return visits.

2  Thank Ann C
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited Spirit house this evening and loved our meal. My friends (4 girlfriends) had just traveled 27 hours to get to CM so were very very tired. All we wanted to do was have some food and get to bed!

Well, I Can honestly say I had one of the best meals I have ever had in Thailand. Not only was it delightful, the explanation of how to eat it, what to eat it with and what goes with what was very very helpful, not to mention the beautiful lychee cocktail, OMG!!......my only wish is we have enough time to go back and do it all over again!

CVS