“Do not miss out on an amazing experience !!”

The Spirit House Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Spirit House is absolutely amazing !
We caught a red truck/took took to the spirit house that took 3 goes to find. Spirit house is tucked away and hard to find, it will be really helpful to let the transport driver know that it is opposite the Viangbua mansion which is quite well known.

Upon arriving it seemed a little bit different but once inside the scenery of the restaurant is unlike anywhere else I have been! It is gorgeous with a real 'spiritual, natural feel' the long vines, bamboo like table huts and Thai inspired water features make it an experience like no other.

The meals were to die for with a wide variety including a Thai menu. The food was quite cheap at 400bart for the two of us. the service was great as the owner is always present who speaks English and Thai. The desert 'chocolate indulgence' was to die for !. Upon arrival of our meals the owner came over and offered that we change our meal if we were not happy with the taste of our meal. Before ordering we were also informed that they could make just about anything and combine the meals to make it just as you wish.

We had a terrific night and will definitely be back! Do not miss out on this lovely restaurant. I believe it was the best i went to on my entire month trip in Thailand

2  Thank Ebanie17

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I probably have mashed potatoes on the brain. I just had some at The Spirit House last night and they were especially creamy and comforting. Meanwhile, there was a Bulgarian acapella choir rehearsing in the "lounge" area of the cavernous dining room, their ethereal sound floating around the thousands of Buddha statues and Chinese lanterns and other colourful decorations. The Spirit House is on the grounds of a former temple, with an ancient chedi at the entrance. This is treated not as a gimmick or tourist attraction but as a respected artifact. And you will be treated as a welcome guest in the "home" of owner Steve, whose evident care and delight set the tone for a lovely evening. The food is more family than gourmet -- but that's why I like it. Home from home at very reasonable prices. (I ordered from the Western section of the menu: pork tenderloin with Dijon sauce, mashed potato, crisp green beans and a good "house red" for 250 Thb. A Thai or "fusion" meal would not be more than that.) Worth a detour off the tourist-beaten path.

2  Thank MAChanoi
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were in chiang mai with 3 adults and 2 children (1 & 3). We had heard of this restaurant, and although it was a little way from our accom we thought we would give it a go. Steve was just brilliant, made us feel very welcome and comfortable. He and his staff were amazing with our two boys, making it the first night in weeks that we were able to enjoy our dinner and not have to rush off because the kids were bored. Instead we were able to relax, have our dinner then retreat into the lazy boy chairs and have coffee and dessert! The food was amazing and steve even shared a couple of the recipes with us. Really appreciated the night and not having to worry too much about the children. Thanks steve and staff. P.s. I still dream about that mango and clotted cream dessert!

3  Thank quinnyb3
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I have spent a month in Thailand now and this place tops my experiences so far. I was welcomed by the American owner - he came to Thailand for 6 weeks, 18 years ago and never went home.

He proceeded to sit down with me and go over his specials for the night (some imaginative dishes).

I got a glass of iced water and carrot sticks with mayo for the table. His menu includes Thai foods and other world foods. I had carrot, pumpkin and ginger soup to start (80 baht) Full of interesting flavours and a good portion. For main I had his spicy meatballs and spaghetti ( 160 baht). It was almost as tasty as my mothers homemade recipe :-).

As for the premises, there is a historic 500 year old stupa in the courtyard, along with many antique goods which he was selling before his restaurant opened.

I liked the personal touch, the place isn't busy so he has time to speak with everyone individualy. If I lived in chiang mai I'm sure I would adopt this place as my weekly haunt for eating out. Always something new and exotic to try and a nice setting for catching up with friends.

I say: go treat yourself, you won't regret it.

2  Thank Alex G
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an excellent spot for foreign tourists and local expats who have a taste for international cuisine and environmental ambience. Steve, the proprietor makes sure that everyone has an excellent experience and the food is generally excellent.

2  Thank garthastro