“great family home, friendly and knowledgable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Rose of Suthep Home Stay
Ranked #477 of 833 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We travelled with our 3 young children and loved the experience of the homestay. James and May were friendly and knowledgeable and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large clean and comfortable, and the accomodation was great value. A fabbo way to see Chiang Mai!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank mandy255068

Reviewed November 12, 2010

Stayed with James and May for one month, Sept. 2010. First time to Thailand so their help was necessary for me to feel comfortable in all ways. May and James helped me prepare for my retirement in Thailand going way beyond what I expected. I spent many days following May around town scheduling appoinments for my immigration, hospitals, driving permits, etc, etc. Without their help It would have been frustrating not knowing thai language. May was a real sweetheart when I got sick for a few days and cooked me meals in bed, just like mom.

I happen to notice a very negative review on trip advisor, prior to my review today. Trying to compare the hilton 5 star experience to someones home is unfair. They are two totally different experiences....enough said. So if you want a real middle class Thailand experience, like it really is.... then this is a good base to set your travels. I now live on Ko Samui, an island... and May still calls me to see how I am doing and she also forwards my mail to my new home. If I come back to Chiang Mai for a visit, I now have close friends to visit. Much better than an empty hotel room in hotel land.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Dave293918
Reviewed November 10, 2010

What an awesome trip we just had! The hosts were entertaining and it was so cool to get to hang out with the locals instead of a tour guide. The location was just one minute by car to the fresh market with plenty of local street food vendors we could enjoy. James and May took us to Nimanhamin street where all the night life was happening. We could even see Doi Suthep just from the street of our home stay with just little over an hour trip into the hill tribe villages in the mountain. Our room and shower were pretty clean. The trip was a blast. I'm glad we picked Rose of Suthep Home Stay!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank surfrocks
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The greatest homestay in thailand.
I went to Thailand on march, 2008. I heard about "ROSE OF SUTHEP HOME STAY" , A big vila in chinagmai. Because of the delay of my airplane , james and may had waited me for 2 hours in chiangmai airport, that made me very affecting.
On the otherside , unfortunately , my baggage had been lost in the way from Bangkok to chinagmai , in the last 7 days , james and may helped me a lot , they gave the phone calls to the airplane company and the airport , which could found my baggage , and asked about the reparation and insurance.
Because of the my baggage was lost , james gave me some clothes as a gift ,and consoled me "you should be happy in this trip ".i don't want to say too much "thank you" , actually ,james he's very warm-hearted,and he's the sort of person you take for granted .
I did nothing in the schedules of my trip in chiangmai , so I don't know anything on my trip. James drived the car for me ,and took me traveled around chinagmai. James knows I love delicious food very much, so he went to the cheap and delicious restaurants with me, james he knows I believe Buddhism,so he took me to the temples which built 700 years ago...when I saw some lost temples in chiangmai and I asked james "what's that ? could you tell me the history of the temples? " , james would explained everything for me , I think ,james is not only a warm-hearted host, but also a good guide! James and May they lived with me for 7 days ,that made me felt like we were a family! And I learned how to cook "tom-yuem-gong" soup , I am a student from May. ROSE OF SUTHEP HOME STAY, I strongly recommend to you with my heart, it's very suitable for the tourists who want to go to chiangmai. Live with james and may together, it's like a funny family , james and May are your friends ,and also they are the guides. When the first step that you go out of the airplane , when james is standing there wating for you with his smile ,you will feel the affability! If you have any questions ,you can contact me.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Daihung
warfie, Owner at The Rose of Suthep Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2010

Thank you! We enjoyed your company too!

Reviewed September 20, 2010

So many things were bad! Having to pay for the hosts drinking habit. Having to purchase your own bread for your breakfast which is supposed to be provided in the stay and then have the host eat it as well. Bathroom facility disgusting feel like you want to pineoclean your feet when you get out from the shower. The mattress on the bed we had was lumpy and had rips in it. We never ate at the house and i wouldn't want to either the kitchen is dirty but nothing was ever offered anyway. Way out of town the red car driver didn't even know where to go May had to guide him home. There is nothing close by so you must keep this in mind.
Hosts only interested in you if you want to go out and spend money which was always doubled because you have to pay for them as well! You get told not to buy things at the market but to buy at the factory because this is where they get there kickbacks from and they are more expensive at the factory! Be wary of entrance fees into villages etc as we think this is also another kick back.
The whole time felt like the song Hotel California.
Ruined what was a great Thailand holiday.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AdelaideBlissbomb

Dear AdelaideBlissBomb,

We are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as you seemed to when you were here.
As far as we knew, everything was fine.
Please remember that this is a "Home Stay" not a "Hotel". This is our home, a genuine upper middle class contemporary, Thai family home.
Think of our home stay as a visit to your best friend's home in a far away land, who only wishes to show off the best of the town.
Saving the guest the frustration of losing lost time in seeking the ultimate Thai experience.
We tailor and design our services to fit all your wishes. A hotel simply cleans the sheets and you are on your own.
We enjoy and take pride, that we are able to provide this rare service in such an exotic environment as Chiang Mai.
We are not perfectly sterile, we are clean... we are lived in... we are at your service.
Lean on us, it will break our hearts if you don't...we are Thailand.

Sawat dee khrap!

Warmest Regards,
James,
@ The Rose of Suthep

Reviewed March 26, 2010

I stayed with James and May in Chiang Mai for eight days and had a wonderful experience. They were excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble. Had so many interesting trips out with them and visited so many nice resturants than I would have probably not found myself.
Chiang Mai is a lovely place with so much to see and do.
If you are looking for a holiday with nice accomodation and local hosts who can guide you through your stay to make the most of your time I can recommend this homestay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Robertg2002
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We had a fine stay at Rose of Suthep. James and May are great at assisting with visitor needs in English or Thai. If you want to telecommute while in Chiang Mai, James is able to provide quality wifi, some hardware and good tech support. The location is great. A bit away from the center, it is close enough to be convenient and yet quiet with area restraurants catering to locals rather than tourists. Highly recommended if you are looking for a homestay in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple