“very good guesthouse”

Ranked #54 of 747 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
“very good guesthouse”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Really lovely guesthouse, in a good location near the market. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay here and both were clean, comfortable and well appointed, the first room we stayed in had a lovely view of the mountains. The street itself is quiet however there are some very noisy cockerel's next door! The staff are very friendly and helpful when booking tours etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 4, 2013

It is an ok guest house with a great value. Our room was modest and very clean. We liked having a TV with international movie channels. The overall decoration of the guest house is very old fashioned but didn't care about it since we were outside discovering pretty much the whole time. People who are working there are really nice.
This place is very good for 2 or 3 nights stay but it can get boring after that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

First arrival in Chiang Mai, and found the Bed & Terrace to have a wonderful view across to the mountains from our top floor apartment. Not to mention the sweeping deck.
The spare bed they gave us was rock hard and we didn't us it, my son slept on the sofa instead (to their credit, they didn't charge us for the bed on check out).
The hotel is not in an ideal location, you really need wheels from there to get to the lively parts of Chiang Mai where the markets, restaurants, bars, street food etc is and to the many many temples in the Old City. But given the price, that is reflected in the location. However within the Old City, there was similarly priced accommodation, but without the sweeping view.
There is no lift and being on the fifth floor, that's a lot of very steep stairs.
MY ONE BIG GRIPE - and this is not something I normally consider at all - but it's seems to be a fire disaster waiting to happen. There is literally no fire escape - we were on the fifth floor, there is just one set of stairs, nothing at all on the outside of the building for escape - and at 11pm each night the building is locked by a very ancient consertina gate that in an emergency would be very very difficult to open. It was hard enough opening it with the key they provided in a non-panic situation.
They really need to review this situation.
We spent 5 nights here, as planned but I was glad to move somewhere else in Chiang Mai, to a better room, better location paying not much more.
They did also generously rent their motorbike to us at a great rate of 150 baht per day, including two proper helmets.
**** for staff, * for fire hazard

Room Tip: Top floor room costs only a little extra, and you have the whole top floor to yourself.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kongkan, Owner at Bed and Terrace Guesthouse Chiang Mai, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear SerenityNow4All …

Thank you very much for take a time to write a review. We take feedback seriously and use it to improve the service we provide all of our guests.

We're happy to hear you enjoy beautiful mountain views during stay at Bed and Terrace Guesthouse.
Sorry for the extra bed for your son is not comfortable, as it is extra single bed so it may not like the regular one. We will consider to make it softer.

For guesthouse location, we describe clearly in our website that guest house is in between the old city and night bazaar so it’s just few minutes walk to both attractions. This area is small residential part of central Chiang Mai, you will see Thai houses in the area as well, many guests and locals find this area is more peaceful and cozy to live than busy area which consist of bars, pubs and shops. You can see full detail in our website.

The fire escape of guesthouse is located near stairs between each floor, please visit us again then we will glad to show you. Our staff stay at staff room after reception close and security camera operates all the time, please don’t worry our staff will do the best to help you in emergency case.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences in our Chiang Mai guesthouse. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further more. While I know you have a different choice of accommodations in mind for your future stay, I hope you will consider Bed and Terrace guesthouse again.

Best Regards,
Kongkan
Bed and Terrace's Management.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The guesthouse looks ok from the lobby, with good landscaping and generous waiting area. Unfortunately my room smelled like cigarettes when I walked in. I asked if there was another room, but the reception said no and opted to using a spray to 'get rid of the smell'. The house wasn't full so I am not sure why changing rooms would have been a problem. Windows don't open but there is a door that opens to a tiny balcony. To further exacerbate the problem, the bathroom seemed to generate strange sewage smell - maybe coming through the pipe work and toilet gully trap doesn't work very well? The smell kept me awake at night. Clean bed sheets and towels, free bottled water, but I wouldn't stay here gain.

Room Tip: I got a studio with AC. Maybe other rooms don't smell.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DownUnderUpOver
Lancashire
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

You cannot go wrong here! This place is an absolute bargain. We have paid the same and had much much less than what B&B offer. The rooms are large (we stayed in two fan and air con both are just as good as other) tastefully decorated and very clean especially the beds :-)
The staff are LOVELY, they have been the most helpful of all the places we have stayed so far. Ask them anything and they will help you.
Great central location.
Make sure you head to Aroon Rai restaurant (Thai food) just up the main rd, this was recommended to us by B&B staff and is very cheap delicious Thai food, with the bonus of home made ice cream.
Also make sure to head to Niammi hain road to escape the bustle of Chiang Mai centre. Lots of relaxing coffee shops/places to eat. I recommend Khun nai teun sai.
The only thing that would make this place better was if they did breakfast... But that's just us being lazy!
I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank shonal85
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friends and I stayed in triple room. The room reminds me a lot with my boarding room with its own wooden bed, tv, full air-con, & fridge.

Their best asset is 2 staff named Tai & her brother, Dia. They were very helpful and informative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Real, Quezon
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I usually stay in a generic 4-5 stars hotel and this was the first time that I ever stayed in a guesthouse. I was a bit hesitant at first but it did not disappoint!

Pros:

The owner - she prefers to be called "Perky" is really perky, energetic, and very welcoming old woman. She and her kids are really friendly without going over board. Expect a smile every time you go down to the lobby. The old man who carried my bags when I arrived and left is also really nice. He seems serious looking but he always gave a sincere smile and always ready to help.

Location - the location is really superb. I never had to use tuktuk to go somewhere. Well, except going to Tiger Kingdom and Chiang Mai Zoo which are both outside of the city. It's a walking distance to the old city, to the nice restaurants along side Thapae gate, to the night bazaar and even to the supermarket and street food center in Chiang Mai gate.

Nice room - the room I was in is really nice. I was a bit hesitant to book a room at first coz they didnt have any available room with AC anymore but the double fan room I was in is really nice and with the cooler climate in Chiang Mai, a fan is sufficient. And it is also big, bright and has own terrace. Which is good just to hang around and just read or have a bit sunshine when you don't feel like going out. The room has a vibe that you feel like you're just in your own room.

Cleaning Service and bathroom - they cleaned my room religiously everyday and one thing I like about the cleaning service is they don't touch and move my things which usually happens in a hotel. I have a thing for people touching my things coz I usually forgot where I put them when people touch and move them. And bathroom is spanking clean and big enough to move around. The hot water works. Yay!

The invisible neighbors during the night - I would include this as pros as this is quite an experience. I also lived in a province or countryside as others put it. And though my place is too far from the city and mountains and oceans are just nearby, I never experienced having to listen to different kinds of animal sounds during the evening. I find it quite cool haha. I worked the entire evening during my 3 nights stay in the guesthouse and geckos, owls and other animals I can't identify anymore have been my companions during the evening when the city was sleeping. Well, at least I didn't have to turn on my music player :)

Cons:

To be honest none. I have read about the rooster thing but I only heard them twice I think. Never had a problem with them. Oh I think the stairs coz I was in the fourth floor and I'm not actually fan of walking and climbing stairs but it wasn't that bad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank trigger_elf