“Expected better for the price (and after reading the great reviews)”

Rainforest Boutique
Ranked #50 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in November 2012. We picked the hotel because of the rave ratings here on TripAdvisor and because, at 25€/night with breakfast, it promised to be a comfortable and cosy place with higher standards than many others in Chiang Mai. I can't say that I was entirely disappointed, but my mind wasn't blown, either.

The rooms definitely look better in the pictures than in reality - the furniture and equipment is fairly old, the bathroom was kept clean but had bits of mold on the bathtub and the shower-curtain, the AC was rather unfortunately positioned so that it was blowing directly onto the bed. We had a room on the 5th floor facing the pool and I must say that it was quiet and the mattresses were firm, so that you could get a good night's sleep. The wifi in the room was mostly too weak, at the pool/reception area it was much better.

The breakfast was average, local and western food. The selection was the same every day, which was a bit of a pity. Freshly made eggs, omelettes and pancakes were good. The a la carte food at the hotel restaurant has average prices and nice food. However, the western food portions are more on the modest side.

The pool was clean (saltwater) and free towels were provided by the pool.

The staff was very friendly and helpful in arranging trips/activities in and around Chiang Mai.

The hotel is ideally located some 5 minutes from the train station. However, it is a bit far from the city center - it takes about 25 minutes to walk. This is nice, as you're a bit further away from the bustle of the city, but it can be a little inconvenient, too. A taxi/tuk-tuk anywhere in downtown Chiang Mai from/to the hotel costs about 100 baht and there is a free shuttle every night to the Night Bazaar (one way). There is a 7 Eleven within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.

The airport shuttle we were offered in the confirmation of our booking is overpriced - the hotel offers a pick up for 300 baht, but you can easily book a taxi directly at the airport and it will take you to the hotel for 150 baht.

The laundry service at the hotel is fairly expensive - if you have the chance and the option, you might want to get your laundry done in one of the laundry places downtown.

Overall, the hotel is not bad, but I was a little disappointed after reading about how amazing it was and seeing the pictures.

Room Tip: The 5th floor has weak wifi in the rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucie P

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the RF Boutique hotel for three nights. Despite being close to one of Chiang Mai's larger streets, the location itself is peaceful and secluded.
The hotel offer several services such as massage, spa, pool - all of which we couldn't find the time to test. It has a serene library hidden away in a shady corner which stays cool during the day.

The rooms are adequate, allbeit not always standardized. On the 5th floor we had a bath tub and a water boiler with complimentary coffee and tea. On the 3rd floor neither was present - but still both rooms had a TV with some English channels and good air conditioning. The wifi signal was fairly weak and the network cannot connect all sorts of devices. A LAN cable was provided in both rooms. Cleanliness was on a European level.

What stands out the most is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff at any time of day. One young man in particular - Timothy (half English, quarter French and quarter Thai) - went out pf his way to make us feel at home. It was a pleasure having his helpful hand around, most of all due to hos excellent command of both Thai and English.

All in all a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank NikoKaramel
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights in the basic room at 36.00 Canadian dollars per night with breakfast included. Thai style/ western breakfast with freshly cooked eggs. It was average. Eggs were great.

Location:

Too far to walk downtown to the old city. It's about 30 + min walk one way. As you exit hotel, there are a few taxis outside... Avg price is 100 baht.. Don't pay more. Tuk Tuk back to hotel is very cheap, 60-100 baht.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. One of the staff members spoke perfect English.
The rooms were clean and tidy. However, the walls were thin and we could hear a baby crying at 3am! But we put in ear plugs and was fine. Also, the rooms, appliances, windows were were old and not that nice looking. BUT FOR 36.00... It's fine! AC included.

The carpet on the second floor was old, dirty and stained, but we weren't going to eat off of it so it was fine.

Room has fridge and stocked with beer, soft drinks and 2 free waters per day. Television in room with satellite and many channels. Safe in closet for belongings. WIFI included but was very slow and didn't always work. Wifi at pool was strong.

Very nice swimming area with shower. Saltwater pool, they do not use chlorine. Towels provided outside.

Hotel also provides free shuttle service to the market every night at 8pm. You have to find your own way back.

Overall, it was a great place to stay for that price and we would return in the future. Hotel was very quiet, peaceful and away from the downtown area.

-Canada-

• Stayed: November 2012
6  Thank Adam S
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, with 3 friends. We were put in a family room, which had 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms which was perfect for us.

The pool was lovely, although there are not many sun beds.

There is a free shuttle to the night bazaar at 8pm.

The food was lovely, and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank toffeedoll
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Before arriving in Chiang Mai, we had stayed in Ayutthaya and Bangkok and booked hotels for around the same place. This place a little disappointing at first (when I first walked into our room) but overall it wasn't all that bad.

For starters, we arrived SUPER late (1am!) because our train had been delayed 4 hours due to engine troubles. Because this place is so close to the train station, we decided to walk the five minute walk at night. At first we were a bit nervous because it was so late, but within a few minutes a man on his scooter approached us asking if we were lost and pointed us to the right direction. The following day, we learned it was a staff member from the hotel. He introduced himself the next day and said we were supposed to have checked with him (during his shift) and once he saw us walking figured it was us. He called the hotel (without our knowledge-not until the day he told us the story) to greet us! Very nice and great service! Our room needs a little updating (that would be the disappointing part) as well as the hallways, but the food at breakfast is amazing, and the service was good, oh but the location is a bit away from town. That can be good or bad, depending on you and what you want to do. It's about 60-80 baht into town (Tae Pae gate) but more at night. I think it's nice to have a clean room to look forward to after being out and about, but if you want to check out night life, it's not walking distance from here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniela S
Reviewed November 7, 2012

First impressions are so important and from the pictures I saw of the hotel online I thought it would be a great and inexpensive choice. That's were my good impressions ended. I emailed them 2 days before I was arriving and asked for early check-in as I was taking an early train in form Bangkok that arrived at 9 am. The email I got back said that they would be happy to check me in early if they had rooms available and did I want a shuttle from the airport? I responded that I would, with the train number and arrival time. They got back to me confirming the pick up. Sadly, no shuttle when we arrived at the station. Sadder still, they laughed it off when I mentioned it to them. No apology, they just forgot was the excuse. The rooms we got (I had booked 3) were not terrific. A bit smelly, poorly lit and the bathroom became overrun with ants by the first afternoon. One overlooked a contraction site and was more expensive than the other 2 rooms we booked. In another room they had pulled the beds away from the wall so they would be a full bed giving us barely enough room to move around. I have the shin bruises to prove it.

Breakfast was fine. Internet was fast, TV worked in 2 of our 3 rooms. There is a shuttle to the night market, but not back.

After 8 weeks traveling thru Thailand and staying at 12 different hotels this was my least favorite

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Part of my lovely experience in Chiang Mai was due to great service provided by this hotel. I chose it only on basis of proximity to the Railway station which is a short walk away, but we were more than happy with buffet breakfast spread and our Room with a lovely view of Doi Suthep from the balcony. We missed this hotel even more after coming to bangkok and looking at our three times more expensive and tiny hotel room. The people at reception are very helpful. We interacted a lot with Ms. Ying and Ms. Pui (others seemed nice too) who helped us arrange one bamboo rafting trek and book a bike at a moments notice.
The only nitpicking I could do is that the swimming pool water was very salty for some reason and had lots of leaves. But at the price and service I got, I shouldn't complain at all. Keep up the good work. Your tiny library is charming too.
Ammu and Abhi.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool have balconies with good views. There is a new wing under constructio...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple