“Really good”

79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Really good”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We communicated with Sasi, the owner of Sabai Tours before our arrival to Chiangmai. She kindly advised us on the things to do in Chiangmai. And, she was most accommodating and informative. She even picked us up personally upon our arrival in Chiangmai. We booked 3 tours and opted for the group tours instead of the personal tours:

1st Day: Lifestyle Adventure - trekking, white water rafting, elephant, bamboo rafting
To our horror, we had to sit in the back of a 4WD, 6 in a row. There were a total of 12 of us. The bench could only accommodate 4 people comfortably, with 5 people already a squeeze. Our guide, Tommy, made 6 of us squeeze together and the 6th person was sitting with one leg off the 4WD! We had a most uncomfortable ride in the 4WD and the journey was 1 hour each way!
We did enjoy the elephant rides and trekking to the waterfall.
And, our lunch... it was salty fried rice with tofu, eggs and bits of chicken. Tommy said that when we were in the jungle, we had to eat like 'jungle people'.
The white water rafting was nice, with 6 of us in the boat. After this, it was bamboo rafting time. We were expecting the ride like in the brochure... but we were so shocked when they piled 12 people on a sinking bamboo raft! So we literally all sat in the muddy water where water reached our waist in the sinking bamboo raft!

2nd Day: Doi Inthanon
We visited Doi Inthanon and the highest peak in Thailand. It was rainy and our guide, Nui, advised us to buy raincoats. We made stops at 2 waterfalls which were awesome! Lunch was served at the site of the 2nd waterfall where we had rice with soup, vegetables, tofu and salty stir fried chicken. Nui was extremely knowledgeable and we enjoyed listening to her. Our van had 9 people and we had a comfortable ride. As it was raining, the view was misty and we couldn't see the 2 King and Queen stupas clearly. There were stops to buy persimmon and other foodstuffs.

3rd day: Golden Triangle & Karen Long Neck
We were a group of 12 people with our guide Pan. The ride was a long one but Pan was entertaining and he told us many stories. We stopped at the hot springs and White Temple. Then, visited the Golden Triangle and took the boat ride to Laos where we did shopping. We also went to the border town, Mae Sai, where we saw the border with Myanmar. Lunch was buffet with other tour groups. Finally we visited the Karen Long Neck village before heading back to Chiangmai.

We would definitely contact Sasi again on our next visit to Chiangmai!

Visited August 2012

Austalia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sabai Tours always a winner!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This was my second time with Sabai Tours. Sasi the owner of Sabai always goes the extra mile to meet all expectations. We custom made our tours and Sasi accommodated us without a hitch. She is an honest, professional and really lovely woman to deal with. Our first private tour was to Doi Suthep with the lovely Mr Kwanchai. He was very knowledgable regarding history and the Buddhist long weekend which we were there for. We then ate lunch at a beautiful restaurant called "Galae". Lots of colorful gardens and on a reservoir full of catfish. Mr Kwanchai waited patiently for us while we had a relaxing lunch.
The next day was our full on shopping day to all the factories including jewellery, lacquerwear, umbrella, silk & celadon. We were lucky enough to be driven around by Sasi herself in her car. What a great day with a wonderful host....and the best Khoa Soi for lunch!
Thanks Sasi for a great couple of days!
Go with Sabai Tours you will not regret it.

Visited June 2012
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent service from Sabai Tour”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

After reading the reviews from this site, I emailed Sabai Tour to help me in planning my family's holiday in Chiang Mai. Sasi replied my email and provided me with several options for my tour. We selected the Khantoke Dinner, Doi Inthanon National Park and Doi Suthep Temple.She also provided the airport transfer for us. Sasi was very patient and replied my many emails and questions promptly and politely. Her itinerary included details of all the places to visit and also what the tour cost covered. No hidden cost.

The tour guide and driver who were assigned to my family were very friendly and attentive. They took really good care of us, especially my elderly mother who was traveling with us.

I will definitely look for Sasi again the next time I want to holiday in Chiang Mai.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank GennieKawa
Lopez Island, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our tour guide, Coco, MADE the tour!”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Sasi, the owner of Sabai Tours, met our needs and expectations one hundredfold. We told Sasi what we wanted and she gave us two alternatives; one a bit more expensive than the other, but more inclusive. We chose the more inclusive and were not disappointed as it was exactly what we wanted.

My husband and I were the only tourists for Coco, our guide, for three days and two nights. She speaks excellent English (as well as French), has a wonderful sense of humor, and knows the history, flora and fauna and societies of the area we visited (northern Thailand). In fact, she is from a village in that area. Knowing we were interested in the hilltribes and people of the area, Coco surprised us by taking us to a village not on the tour. Coco was very good at advising us about taking photos and tipping so we would not offend the locals.

I highly recommend Sabai Tours and Coco as a guide.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank barbara m
Preston, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not exactly as advertised!!!”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Booked a 2 day / 1 night ECO Hilltribe trekking sabai tour direct with them (1800 THB). I wanted to pay for a more personal private guide but due to the reviews I had seen about Sabai tours I thought the normal group tour would be ok.

Picked us up on time but chopped and changed our group and guides around a bit. There was a bit of time on the first day where everyone felt like they were hanging around for too long at the market and before the elephant ride. The trek was too fast paced for some (maybe to make up lost time) so we ended up doing the '3 hour' trek in just 2 hours.

At the hilltribe village we were meant to 'spend an evening with a host family' (which we never met) and learn about Lahu people and the village. He told us that they came from Burma but that was it! I asked about the history of how they came here, how has it developed, what are there traditions, how do they live etc but he could not tell me. He just apologised saying he did not know. I definitely think this is something he should have know considering it was a large part of the trip! I told them at the Sabai office that this was my main interest for the trek and booked this trek because of this, so I was very disappointed. It was also tribal new year so our guide took us to the main area the villagers were at 8pm then left us. Other groups had their guides with them and were talking to them about the traditions and the event. Our group felt a bit lost and we were not sure if the dancing we had just watch was all of the celebration or if they were just practicing. The drum beat and dance was getting a bit repetitive so many went back to the bungalow at about 9pm. Our guide was nowhere to be found to ask!!!

The white water rafting was meant to be 1 hour and only lasted 35 minutes and the 20 minute bamboo rafting lasted 5 minutes!!!! I was not happy. I then found out Sabai had put us on a tour with TIC Travel agents, although it was advertised as a 'Sabai Tour'. The people in my group had also booked through different agents and paid different prices! If I knew they were going to put us with another agency I would not have gone as I wanted the same great experience others had talked about with Sabai Tours.

We may have had a one off bad experience or tour guide, but I would not recommend this tour if you want the cultural experience. Our whole group felt the same too so it was not just my own opinion.

Visited February 2012