“Highlight of my trip to Thailand” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 246 Tours in Chiang Mai
Lodz, Poland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip to Thailand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked a 2-day hill tribe village trek with Sabai Tour in Chiang Mai and it was one of the most amazing experiences not only in Thailand but in my life The trip included elephant riding, trekking to the top of the mountain, 2 waterfalls, sleeping in a hill tribe village and rafting (bamboo rafting was cancelled) I loved everything about it The people on my trip were amazing, our two guides were very funny, great cooks and very attentive Sasi that booked our trip was very helpful choosing this trip and giving advice I just wish she told us more how amazing that trip was so that we booked 3 days
There are so many tour companies in Chiang Mai that it's very difficult to choose one but i 100% recommend this one !

Visited September 2011
1 Thank 28martusia

Vancouver, Canada
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Excellent Personalized Service and Individually Designed Private Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

When planning my trip to Chiang Mai, I was looking for a tour agency would could help me plan great private tours. I really dislike the "flock of sheep" style group tours that all seem to hit all the same attractions at the same time as all the other busloads full of group tours. I find spending the extra amount for a private tour to be more then worthwhile if I want to get the most out of my holiday experience. So I did my research, especially here on tripadvisor, and came across Sasi at Sabai Tours. I am so glad I did.

From the very first email, Sasi was simply marvelous. She was prompt with her replies, answered every question I had thoroughly, and over the few months I had before my trip, was able to help me set up three wonderful full tours that I will remember for the rest of my life. Even when other plans changed for the rest of my holidays, that affected the timing of some of the tour dates, Sasi was always accomodating, and always quick to get back to me with the changes in place. In the end, even the prices for the tours was very reasonable, considering the amount of driving that had to be done, and the very busy itineraries we set up.

Sasi also set me up with an excellent guide, Coco. Coco had a great sense of humor, was a veteran guide with a great deal of knowledge of the area and the sites we visited, and was thankfully also an excellent driver, as our tours took us along winding mountain highways and sometimes through torrential downpours. Yes, we had rain while driving, but maybe it was my "chok mak" (much luck) or maybe it was Sasi herself who arranged it, but every time we stepped out of the car on all three tours, the sun was out and the rain had stopped. Amazing!!

The first tour was a long one, and took us north all the way to the Mekong River and the Golden Triangle, where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar (Burma) meet at the confluence of the Mekong and Ruak rivers. It is also the northmost point in Thailand. Along the way, we visited the beautiful White Temple (Wat Rong Khun), a long-neck hill tribe village, and Chiang Rai. Once at the Golden Triangle, we took a longtail riverboat across to the market on the Laos side of the Mekong River, where great bargains are to be had. This was an exceptional and interesting tour, starting from my hotel at 8am, we did not get back till after 9pm. It was a great day, and one of the best tours I've ever had. The pace was never rushed ...we watched the large group tours being ushered along by their shepherd .... and even had a nice stop for a meal in a great Thai restaurant along the way.

The following day, Coco took me on what was to be a half-day tour to Doi Suthep, the temple perched on a high hilltop overlooking Chiang Mai. This was an awesome tour, just for the view alone from the top, overlooking Chiang Mai. Photo-ops abounded! After we were finished on Doi Suthep, Coco drove us back down into Chiang Mai for a visit to Wat Chedi Luang, one of the most impressive temples in the Old City of Chiang Mai. Coco had been an excellent guide on both tours, and I was really looking forward to the third tour with her to Doi Intanon.

The day of the Doi intanon tour approached, and the weather forecast was not good, as a typhoon was lashing southeast asia, and was scheduled to hit Chiang Mai during the day. Coco had to cancel on short notice, and she asked a very veteran guide to fill in for her. At first, I was disappointed that Coco would not be my guide for the day, but upon meeting Kwanchai, and then travelling with him throughout the day up to Doi Intanon, I found him to be an very excellent guide as well.

Doi Intanon is a national park containing Thailand's highest peak. The tour led us up into this park, with stops along the way at five very beautiful waterfalls, that all had short hikes to get into. Again, the weather was near perfect, with just a slight overcast in an otherwise clear blue sky. Absolutely spectacular scenery, and I have lived and travelled in British Columbia my entire life, so am a bit fussy about mountain scenery! There is just something about Thailand's combination of lush rain forests that are almost jungle-like, combined with rugged hills and mountains, and dramatic waterfalls that I found just beautiful. Kwanchai knew all the tricks and out of the way spots to stop, and during that day, we covered twice the distance that any group tour could hope to cover. Again, it was a day I will never forget, and will always be a remembered highlight of my time spent in Thailand.

When I am back in the Chiang Mai area, which I hope to be soon, and want to see more of beautiful Northern Thailand, I will definitely be letting Sasi of Sabai Tours set up those tours for me.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank LosBound2014
SF Bay Area, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“One of the most memorable things from our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

With a lot of trek companies to choose from, we are so glad we went with Sabai. We did a two day trek which felt the right length. Our guides were attentive, friendly and funny. The activities were well paced, not only filled up the time but gave us a sense of variety. We started with a short elephant ride which was just long enough to appreciate the wonderful animals but not too long because the ride itself was not particularly smooth.

The 3 hour trek to our hut was a serious hike, especially given the weather was hot and humid. We had great views of the rice paddies, river, mountains and a lot of jungle. We had a great group of people so definitely made the trek more enjoyable. When we got hot, we went into a river to cool off. Our hut next to a Karen family was very basic as expected, same thing as the bathroom but it was surprisingly clean. Dinner and breakfast were both simple but good. Our shower was an exhilarating swim under a water fall. After dinner, we played fun drinking games with our hosts who were the most friendly and kind people. It's a great experience to see how the tribal people live and enjoy the nature at its best.

Bring a lot of mosquito repellent on this trek, and make sure it has high DEET content.

Visited August 2011
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I chose Sabai over the thousands of other trek operators due to TA reviews and I am glad I did. The lady at Sabai was very accommodating and by booking directly at her office (near the main temple in town) I saved a lot of money.
BEST BITS:
- guide was excellent and his english was very strong - he gave us a nice talk about the people from the Lahu village we stayed at
- waterfall swims - very refreshing (and necessary after the hike!)
- rafting trip - really fun to do
WARNING:
- all of these trips are the same format, no matter whether you pick this company or another, so you do feel a little like you are on a conveyor belt for tourists (3 large groups were doing the same route as us when we went)
- not sure how I felt abotu the Elephant ride- I enjoyed it but wasn't sure they were 100% happy elephants
- I was prepared for it but have read other reviews about the accommodation for overnight treks - you are staying in a mountain-top village of the poorest people in Thailand who do not have the right to work - so it is basic. There is no electricity and no mattress so be prepared not to have the best night's sleep - it has shocked me to read reviews that complain about this!

Visited May 2011
1 Thank HLH_82
Naples, Florida
“unforgetable journey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

First of all, i have to explain that my visit in Chiang Mai was a special because it was a type of emotional closure since my dad had an accident in 2002 at the Doi Suthep. It was very important for me to go back there..... I visualize my entire journey so i did research on Trip advisor ... look up at the review... Found Sasi. I decide to communicate with her. Quick and very confidante response, I felt like I knew her already, that she understood my adventure and she could help me to realize my journey. We communicate back and forth for 2 months or so... Preparing my week in Chiang Mai. Sasi really understood my needs. Once we got there, everything was like i thought and... Beyond !! little things happened and she was very helpful to make everything right. Plus all the activities, excusions and visits were wonderful ! Thank you Sasi and all the people that work with you. You did make my journey unforgetable. I highly recommand Sasi tour.

Visited April 2011