“an inconvenient room”
Review of Pat's Klangviang

Pat's Klangviang
Ranked #137 of 806 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 16, 2012

4 stars for the service, 3 stars for the room.

Service - everyone at the front desk was always friendly, but not always helpful. One night, I asked for something to help with mosquitoes in the room. They promptly handed me a couple of mosquito repellent incense. However, they couldn't find any matches or lighters, so that was useless. One day, I put out the sign that said "please clean room." When I returned in the evening, I saw the room was not cleaned. They explained that the maid wasn't there that day, and someone should have told me in the morning. No big deal, it didn't bother me one bit. The next day, I put out the sign that said "do not disturb," since I didn't want the room cleaned that day. When I returned, I saw the room was cleaned, sheets were made, etc. Again, not a big deal - but inconsistencies with what I requested.
They were best with their breakfast service - very attentive. I had to leave early the day I checked out, and they got up early to fix me something. Very nice of them.

Room- this is what I liked least. The room was big enough just for a bed and built-in "table" for the TV. The problem is that there is no counter space, no place at all to put up your luggage. Same thing in the bathroom - no space at all in the shower. If they had shower gel and shampoo dispensers on the wall, then I wouldn't have minded. But the provided little jars, so I had no place to put them. Also no counter space by the sink. I had to put my toiletries on the shower rack. Lastly, the room was dimly lit, definitely not enough for reading. All in all, a most inconvenient room. I got the superior room, maybe the deluxe room would have solved these problems, but still - I expect these basic things in any room.

Location - right in the middle of the old city, so great if you like that. not many choices in terms of food nearby - had to go outside the old city near the night bazaar area for food mostly. But not bad. beware there there's quite a bit of noise as the guest house is on a busy street.

summary - nice friendly staff. they tried to accommodate my requests, but sometimes not the right results. the room was the big problem for me, though.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank axelutz

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I did my usual homework on TA before picking this place and I was rewarded with a great 3 night stay here. They arranged a cheap (150 Baht) and smooth airport pickup for me prior to my arrival, and the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly with arranging a half-day trip to Doi Suthep by taxi. Location in Old City was very convenient to many of the famous Wats and many good cheap restaurants....all within short walking distance. It is not as convenient to reach the Night Bazaar or river area, but it is a manageable 15 minute walk to get there. Breakfasts were also good. For 1200-1400 Baht it is an excellent value to stay here.

Room Tip: Room #2 facing the front of the building has a great view of the Wat across the street but the trade...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We loved our stay at Pat's and wish we could've stayed longer! The staff was always helpful and friendly and with the central location, we walked almost everywhere. They even arranged tickets to the Royal Floral exhibition which we were very thankful for.
If we're ever in Chiang Mai again, we'd definitely stay here again! Thanks Pat and team - you are stars!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have only glowing, positive things to say about Pat's Klangviang after a very lovely experience staying there. First, the staff is amazing and graciously accommodated us at every turn. They even anticipated our needs and were unfailingly pleasant. We appreciated that they helped us plan, arrange, and confirm tours during our visit. We ate breakfast each morning on the patio out front, which has a nice view of a wat to enjoy along with the delicious homemade food. The atmosphere in the hotel is very relaxed and breezy - much appreciated after international travel! Our room was quite lovely as well, with comfortable beds, a mini-fridge, a good-sized bathroom, and great AC. Everything was very clean. Though the internet wasn't functioning reliably for a few days while we were there (this was months ago), they brought a technician in to fix it ASAP and in the meantime they helped me find the internet cafe/shop that is just a couple blocks down on the same street.

My favorite part of staying at Pat's Klangviang was probably the neighborhood. It was in the center of Chiang Mai and just a short walk to the main attractions, yet it was not in a seedy area. Chiang Mai is very quiet at night, in particular, if you are not near all the bars and massage shops. The one night we walked through the bar/massage shop area, I was so relieved not to be staying over there - it was noisy and more than a bit tacky. In contrast, Pat's is in a nice neighborhood where it's quiet and peaceful at night but not so deserted that you feel unsafe. You really can't do better on location than this. And luckily, there's plenty to like beyond just its location. I would stay here 1000 times over!

Room Tip: I saw several rooms; I do not think there's a bad one. All are equally quiet, since the street...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank julie248
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Picking Pats Klang Viang was the best travel decision I've made thus far. Even before we were officially checked in (long story short we were actually staying at a sump down the street: Sathu Boutique and we had to get outta there) Ploy at the front desk treated us like gold. She booked a taxi for us to Doi Suthep and answered all of the many questions we had for her.  Upon checking in we were greeted with a fresh fruit smoothie and Ram brought out bags upstairs.  Our room (on the top floor) offered a breathtaking view of the temple right across the street (the same temple that you have a view of as you eat a delicious complimentary breakfast every morning).  Breakfast is amazing, which a choice of toast, eggs, bacon/sausage OR toast, muesli, yogurt and fresh tropical fruit OR rice soup with chicken. all option come with tea/coffee/Thai tea(my recommendation).
The staff at Pats is so friendly and will do anything you need. There are computers you can use, free wifi throughout, lots and lots of TV channels, a book swap area, a huge flatscreen in your room and a big bathroom.
If you are lucky enough to be in Chiang Mai while Pats has vacancy make sure you stay there!!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank fueled_up
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I would suggest what this hotel lacks in a few areas is definitely covered by the staff and service. Stayed three nights and have to say thoroughly enjoyable. The down side was the traffic noise from the street and the whistle from the School Crossing attendant early in the morning but the rest was great.
The rooms were perfectly fine, location good, the front dining area and restaurant bar quaint and a great spot to work from and the loft type rooms fine. Great little hotel with some rough edges but a charm that far outweighs those small matters. Strongly recommend and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had two doubles in february,2011 and stayed there for three nights.
We were welcomed with a nice frozen "smoothie" drink. The staircase is not for disabled, but everything else is lovely.
Pat was very helpful with hints for Chiang Mai and arranging a daytrip with a local driver to the national park.
It´s not placed very central, but very easy to get everywhere.
So definitly worth every recommendation!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends