“We loved the Gekko”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We liked the Gekko so very much we ate there 2 days in a row. Free Wi-Fi, great menu and cold beers. a great atmosphere of tropics and exotic all in one.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We spent several evenings enjoying drinks (cold beer, Margarita's) in this restaurant. The beer was cold and the drinks strong and well made.

We ordered different finger foods to enjoy with our drinks and they were all wonderful.

The prices are reasonable especially when comparing to hotel prices.

Just a short walk from the Imperial Mae Ping so venture out, sit down and enjoy.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've been to Gekko many times over the years since I've been visiting Chiang Mai (one of my favourite destinations in the world). While I don't spend time doing reviews (a bit lazy really), I do read others, so know this important to do, especially as I've been to Gekko so often.
Gekko is different to other places in its class because it is surrounded by plants and lots of greenery and that keeps it cooler. Large fans help to dissipate any heat away from diners, bar patrons. The Thai staff understand English and are very friendly.
This is a low to medium priced option for travellers who need a cold beer, juice/coconut/coffee, or a nice meal that is in nice surroundings. It is great for groups because the tables are big and roomy (very heavy wood). The options are Western and Thai. I personally prefer the Thai food - which is cooked from scratch. A lot of the Western options are, of course imported and generally frozen options that are not home-cooked. The exception is a buffet offered on Sunday evenings at around 6pm where the meal is more like your "Roast" sunday dinner. There is a full bar with the usual options. Bar prices are some of the best in Chiang Mai. This place is very popular with ex-pats, tourists and local Thais.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The setting is nice...an indoor garden bar. We visited multiple times and the waitresses made multiple mistakes on our order...something we've learned to just accept through our travels. The food is average...both in taste and in price. Better than other restaurants that claim they have Western food but don't.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Over a week I ate five or so meals here in the morning and afternoons so I have no idea how the business is as an evening bar. What I do know is that the food menu is huge! The meals were consistently well portioned and tasty and reasonably priced. Service was always friendly and professional. You can eat at the tables or at the bar and the news or a game on one of their several satellite TV's