“Great place to stay but a trek from town”
Review of Trekker Camp

Trekker Camp
Ranked #188 of 938 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I want to start off with the negative, and only from my perspective is this a negative, this hotel is far more than 10 minutes from town, it's closer to 20 and that's if you know where you're going.
(now for the positive) They do have free bikes available though which were awesome, and free toast eggs and coffee in the morning! The wifi here is speedy and the rooms are clean and tidy, there was a line provided in our room for drying washing as well as a small fan that we never needed as it was shady and cool.
The atmosphere is really lovely here with lots of Thai people around working on the place (not noisily) and a bunch of friendly travellers. I really enjoyed my time at the trekker inn, they were helpful and friendly and well priced

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Perceptionpass

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed in a double room and it was so clean ! Everything smelt like laundry and has a nice shower. The staff are all very friendly and willing to try and help. It's tucked away in a quieter location , only about 10 minutes from the main area. We had a very positive experience here :)

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked a private double room with fan for our stay in Chiang Mai through a booking website a week or so in advance. We arrived from the airport and the taxi driver had no idea where the guesthouse was but managed to ask around and find it. Our arrival quickly became a stressful nightmare after we heard the owner say the words "We overbooked, I take you to other hotel". She took us to the other hotel (2 minutes drive on the main street) and offered to pay the difference in price between what we were supposed to pay at Trekker Camp and what this other hotel charged (100B difference per night). My husband went and checked out the room before agreeing. The room was old and filthy, as if no one had stayed in it for months. Considering that we had just arrived in Thailand, that it was dark by then and that we had no idea where we were in the city, we agreed to stay there for 2 nights and go back to Trekker Camp for our 3rd night. We learned to tolerate the other hotel (Golden Inn) and the lady gave us a ride back to Trekker Camp on the 3rd morning. At first we clearly assumed this was all just a big scam and that the two hotels had some kind of arrangement but considering how nice and apologetic the Trekker camp lady was, in the end we figured it hopefully was just an honest mistake (be careful though, on the morning we were there we heard two different groups having to agree to a different kind of room than what they had booked as she had made some mistakes in the booking). Our room was spacious and clean. It is quite far from the old city and main tourist attractions (a good 20 minute walk). The courtyard is nice and they offer bike tours, cooking classes and other activities. We would stay there again and recommend it, but maybe send them an email or something to confirm your booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the courtyard as it gets loud in the morning and later at night
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Can't be beat for its price. Had basic private room and bathroom, 2 beds, hot water, wi-fi in the common areas, and breakfast every morning (tea or coffee & toast with egg and jam). Tuk Tuk drivers didn't seem to know where the hostel was so I tended to carry around the address of it with me... renting mopeds in the old city and using them to travel back and forth was also a great decision we made. Would recommend if you are looking to save some $ on accommodation, without sacrificing the basics.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Boston4MO
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My self and boyfriend stayed at his hostel during our stay in chiang Mai and I can tell you now I wouldn't have changed it for the world. The hostel is more than what you expect for the price rooms are basic but still very nice and comfortable. The people that work here are what made the trip for us! Everyone is so friendly they help you with tours, bike hire anything you need they help you with! The owner is a amazing, she is so kind and so so helpful I would recommend anyone to stay here just because of that women! We will 100% be returning to this hostel and can't thank them all enough for everything they have done for us!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyE_14
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

This place is not in the city centre. But if you take a songtheaw or tuktuk, the city is 5 minutes away.

It is a great place to meet fellow travellers. The owner is very friendly and helpfull. A simple breakfast is included in the price.

The dorms are a bit out of date and even more so for the bathroom. If you look past that, it is a great place to stay, very relaxed and a good atmosphere. If I go to Chiang Mai I will definitely stay here again.

Ask the owner of the possibility of sleeping on the roof. It is a great experience.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Maarten1234
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Basic but good accommodation to the south of Chiang Mi. I moved here from a more central hostel which was full of young party types, as I just wanted some peace- and that's exactly what I found. The hostel is quite large, I stayed in a five bed dorm but there's was masses of space for everyone. Free breakfast, free tea and coffee, and free bicycle hire- all for 100thb per day- that's £1.89p gbp at today's exchange rate. Pretty good by my standards.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends