“Worth much more than you pay!”

Sabaidee Chiang Mai Hotel
Ranked #226 of 786 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This new property (opened about a year ago) in Chiang Mai is an unbelievable deal. For 800-1000Baht you get a 2 room suite with AC, hot water, free wifi, breakfast, coffee and fruit all day, bottled water in your *in-room fridge*, and free bike rentals. The place is immaculately clean, the rooms are adorable, the beds are incredibly comfortable, bathroom more than adequate. The owner, Sam, is a retired business man from Bangkok who just wants to show people what Thai hospitality is all about. Great guy - he joined us for breakfast and conversation every morning of our 3 night stay. Breakfast is in a cute little coffee shop on the premises that also sells non-breakfast food. The staff at both the cafe and the hotel are wonderful. Sam was also incredibly helpful in booking things (tours, taxis, cooking schools, etc) as well. While the hotel isn't on the main backpacker drag of the old city, it's still within the Old City walls and easily within walking distance of anything inside them. Because it's a bit newer, our taxi driver at the airport didn't know where it was. If that's the case, just tell them it's near Wat Chiang Man (it's literally right next door). Next time I go to Thailand I'd take a side trip to Chiang Mai just so I could stay at this place again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 27, 2009

We travelled through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and this guesthouse was our favourite by far. Its beautifully decorated and very clean, well located in the old quarter of Chiang mai (so close to temples, Sunday walking streets, etc) and the staff are fantastic. Sam and Mo really went out of their way to help us with our many queries, from tailors to tuk tuks to tours. The tours and cookery course we booked through the hotel were very good aswell. Had lots of fun staying here and really felt well looked after. This place really deserves the five star ratings it has been getting across the board:) !

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Hospitality and comfort are the two words I would use to describe Sawasdee Guesthouse. You get far more than the price you pay in this budget boutique guesthouse.I was recommended to stay here by a friend and it was possibly the best travel advice I've ever been given.

The guesthouse is located in downtown Chiang Mai, within walking distance of the city's main attractions. The bedrooms are furnished with ornate wooden furniture, crisp white bed linen and decorated with Thai murals. The rooms are more luxurious than any other accommodation I had in Thailand. A free breakfast is provided each morning of your stay.

The best thing about Sawasdee Guesthouse is the owner. He is more friendly and helpful than words can ever describe. Without a doubt, his advice, travel tips and help with bookings made our stay in Chiang Mai perfect.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I have traveled many, many times to Southeast Asia and this has about the most value you can get. The rooms are SPACIOUS, with a lot of charm and a unique mural over the beds - the Linens are 5 star. The location is perfect, and the the owner /host, Saman 'Sam' is knowledgeable and very helpful - he has traveled extensively and knows what he expects in a hotel and delivers it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2009

This hotel was absolutely chaming. The staff is great and the owner goes over the top to ensure you enjoy your stay both in his hotel and in Chiang Mai. Of all the places I've stayed in SE Asia this summer, the Sawasdee has been hands-down the best. My particular room was a suite with a king sized bed, a study/lounge area, TV, refrigerator, and cold A/C. I could stay here for months! The location is away from the noise and quiet. The hotel is very secure. At night the property is gated and you are given an electronic card for the main gate to enter after 9:00 p.m. However, there is a night watchman who monitors the premises and the gate as well. I asked the owner about leaving valuables in the room (most hotels have the disclaimer about their liability), but he said he would personally guarantee my belongings. I felt comfortable leaving my notebook, and other items in the room during long day excursions. That included several thousands of dollars in jewelry I purchased in Chiang Mai. Also for excursions and other activities, the owner will honestly make the necessary contacts and recommendations for your stay. The free bicycles are fantasitc for touring all of the tourist areas in and near the old city. The staff can book tours for you. They booked a day tour for me (which was fantastic by the way) and told me I had to be ready to go at 7:00 a.m. The owner realized that their breakfast area didn't open until 7:00 a.m. and was concerned I would miss out. So, he had the restaurant open a half hour earlier just for me and had the staff make a custom sandwich for me to take along in case I didn't have time to sit down and eat! If you're looking for a place with a swimming pool, the don't have one. But they do have a special discount at a local swim club for the use of superior swimming facilities (I didn't utilize). For those looking for a great, comfortable value in Chiang Mai, this place is like home. I highly recommend it. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank takerrn
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We found this guesthouse after firstly going to SK House and being a little underwhelmed quickly moved on. We only happenned to drive past and it was late Sunday night. I had a quick look and was sold. The Rooms were the best for the price in Thailand (after only 3 weeks travelling) that we found. Spacious and quiet with great beds and breaky included. Sam and all his staff could not do enough. We had some great talks and lotsa laughs and still talk of our time there now. We highly recommend Sawasdee house for a terrific stay whilst exploring chiangmai. Let Sam and watermelon take care of you and add your name to the famous wall. Adam and Tanya

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This was the best place to stay in Chiangmai, the rooms are clean,big and very nice decorated. The room has a good shower and a kingsize bed.
The personel is very kind and they give good information about Chiangmai.
The house provides free internet, bicycles,coffee tea and fresh fruit!
The roomrate is very good for all the things they do for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple